[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BSD and other things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: 1465663507442.jpg (83KB, 1200x960px) Image search: [Google]
1465663507442.jpg
83KB, 1200x960px
/BSD/ - *BSD Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS, etc

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: http://dragonflydigest.com - http://undeadly.org - http://freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers.

Remember to not respond to the following shitposts:
>Just install linux already
>Cuck OS/Cuck license
>Any attempts to derail thread with BSD vs GPL
>BSD IS DEAD!
>Enjoy your FBI backdoors
>BSD stole from GPL
>Enjoy NO SOFTWARE!
>OPENBSD HAS NO JAILS OR MAC!

These are the most common shitposts, ignore them and don't respond.
>>
>>56233968
>Enjoy your FBI backdoors

But this is a thread about BSD, not the abortion Apple turned their BSD-like into.
>>
>>56234147
At least one guy per thread likes to post FUD about FBI backdoors in BSD, specifically OpenBSD which was never proven making it FUD.
>>
>>56234164
Some ""bugs"" were actually found and gotten rid of as soon as it went public.

OpenBSD doesn't have many drivers

Hello again, /BSD/
>>
>>56234598
The bugs were found because the entire development team did an independent review for the backdoor, nothing was found. They found some bugs while searching for the backdoor.
>>
>>56233968
What's the most practical use for a *BSD?
>>
>>56234674
Routers
>>
>>56234674
networking, servers, old machines, clusters, depending on which BSD
>>
Just use FreeBSD vulnerable by default
>>
>>56234685
>>56234748
Is there any reason why to use *BSD for networking stuff instead of Linux?
Easier to use, perhaps?
>>
>>56234814
>better tcp/ip implementation
>better firewall
Those are just the pros I know off hand, not sure if there are more
>>
>>56234832
>better tcp/ip implementation
I've seen people talking about this a lot but never explaining why.
I'll have to take a look at this...
>>
>>56234871
i never studied the TCP/IP stack but everyone does use it after all

the pf firewall is better than iptables though, iptables is so shit
>>
Does OpenBSD support IP over FireWire?
>>
>>56235030
I don't think firewire is implemented on any arch for some odd reason.

Well, the thing's pretty obscure, I suppose.
>>
>>56235151
Oh, and wasn't firewire proprietary? That may help explain why it isn't supported.
>>
>>56235187
I guess I'll have to use FreeBSD for my firewall. I can install pf on it, right?
>>
>>56235240
It comes with it.

I heard the version is pretty ancient, but it should still do the job.
>>
>>56234147
Their BSD (Darwin) is still out there for you to download. It just lacks software because it's developed by a team of small volunteer developers. I haven't used it personally but I heard it's pretty usable.
>>
>>56235771
i dont know what the point of using osx without cocoa and all that other shit is
>>
>>56235811
You only really need those just to run proprietary OS X programs. It uses the same drivers and some of the same software as OS X if it's open source, like MacPorts. There isn't any point in using it other than just for the experience, learning about how to use it really. It doesn't offer anything extraordinary or different to other *BSD's.
>>
File: 1471909538459.png (112KB, 1209x699px) Image search: [Google]
1471909538459.png
112KB, 1209x699px
<< How to BTFO /BSD/ cucks: 101 >>
>>
>>56235811
Btw, just to add on to my post, most of the security issues and bugs that people talk about in OS X are actually mostly in their proprietary frameworks which they use to run their proprietary programs. Darwin is mostly free of this stuff.
>>
>>56235771
From what I read, you still need to use it on Apple hardware. So it's kind of useless to tinker with on a PC.
>>
>>56235030
LOL NO
>BSD
>OpenBSD
>>>Things working
>>
>>56235843
Having a hybrid kernel based in Mach should count, no?
>>
>>56235030
Appears to be not supported in macppc.
>>
>>56236682
I initially started using OpenBSD because it had better hardware support for my laptop than Linux or even Windows.

>coming to threads just to shit on things you know nothing about
>>
>>56234598
>OpenBSD is not transparent

https://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html
>>
>>56236937
Yes. It uses parts of code from a lot of other BSD kernels and it uses FreeBSD's network stack. Apple then decided to take all of that free software and turn it into their own proprietary system so they can make money off of it.

>inb4 evil Applel

Apple isn't the first nor is it the only company to do this, it has been done many times before.
>>
>>56238152
I'm not saying that is bad really.
>>
>>56238184
Yeah I get where you're coming from, but using a hybrid kernel doesn't make it drastically different from other BSD's. I personally haven't used it because OpenBSD is really comfy and I stuck with it, but these guys www.puredarwin.org have done great work at making darwin available to the public and they have really good documentation as well. Alternatively, you can get the source code directly from apple and build it yourself, but that requires a bit more knowledge.
>>
File: 1461724348978.png (203KB, 800x689px) Image search: [Google]
1461724348978.png
203KB, 800x689px
>>56233968
OpenBSD is quite comfy desu senpai
>>
>>56234674
Networking (you can make a pretty solid router by using a cheap thinkpad with openbsd on it), virtualisation (once OpenBSD finishes its hypervisor, but you have FreeBSD and DragonflyBSD to use as well), security, programming, general purpose use.
>>
>>56240032
>router
>thinkpad
No just stop
>>
>>56240389
What? It's not incredibly difficult to turn an old laptop you have lying around into a router. You can do it with linux too.
>>
>>56240814
Most people buy new routers that can actually handle some traffic
>>
>>56241024
And? Just because something is brand new doesn't mean it's good. Most laptops and computers have much more powerful hardware capable of handling traffic than routers. In fact router hardware is known to be bad and overheat a lot, it needs to keep resetting itself every 6 hours or so. The most powerful processor you'd probably get in a consumer grade router is a quad core with like 1.6 ghz clock or something.
>>
>>56241279
They are not thinkpads
>>
>>56241334
I'm using an x220 as a router and DNS. What's your point? You can even do this with a fucking raspberry pi if you wanted to, you're overestimating how powerful your hardware needs to be for a router.
>>
the only specialized hardware that consumer routers have is used for the switch, or a MoCA port if your ISP uses that. otherwise, it's just a low-power ARM or MIPS computer that handles every packet in software. a laptop will offer greater processing power and thus greater potential throughput, while still maintaining relatively low power consumption (not to mention having a built-in battery backup, and keyboard/screen for when you need to do out-of-band configuration)
>>
>>56241356
>>>56241334
>I'm using an x220 as a router and DNS. What's your point? You can even do this with a fucking raspberry pi if you wanted to, you're overestimating how powerful your hardware needs to be for a router.

This depends all how fast your connection is also
>edgerouter lite is less then 90 bucks
Your thinkpad is useless as a router when cheaper hardware can achieve more and better.
You can even install Gentoo or OpenBSD on the edgerouter but then you won't have their hardware offload.
>>
>>56240032
But a Thinkpad only has one nic. I do love the idea of it otherwise. Is there a work around for that?
>>
I like BSD but why is the community so cringy with their 3D women?
>Look mom I'm such an adult, I like older women like a real man!
>>
>>56244520
What the fuck are you even talking about? You're projecting bright as hell anon. If you want anime or loli art of BSD, you'll have to make your own because there is very little of it.
>>
>>56244657
>If you want anime or loli art of BSD
That's not what I was trying to say
>>
>bsd thread
>half the posts are about apple
>other half are people arguing bsd is bad

what gives guys. the only thing i've gotten so far is that it has better firewalls. my linux NAT works just fine as a firewall. why is openwrt a linux flavor?
>>
>>56244673
Then what were you trying to say because it made no sense.
>>
>>56244520
Men like women regardless of their age. It's why we have women and sex practically everywhere, from adverts to product branding. It's just nature, you can't reprogram the way humans think.
>>
>>56244789
Shitposters love fucking up BSD threads, what's new?
>>
>>56234782
>>56244789
Smart and educated people use *BSD, it's working for them. They don't waste their time shitposting on /g/, they have other productive things to do.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.