[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honest question, expecting an honest answer: How long does it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: India.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
India.webm
3MB, 320x240px
Honest question, expecting an honest answer:

How long does it really take to install Gentoo?
I mean, installation of a fully featured desktop system with one of the major DE's, by someone who has never used it before and needs to look up all relevant info?

Without understating or lying, how long does it really take?

Is it worth it?
>>
>>56233280
>How long does it really take to install Gentoo
More than 40 minutes

>Someone who has never used it before and needs to look up all relevant info
>Is it worth it?
Nope, install something else.
>>
>>56233280
>Using a DE
Let me introduce you to the excellent program known as fluxbox.

However, if you are a fag that likes GNOME (and mouse interfaces), on an i7 it will take ~35 minutes to compile.

Also note that if you are just gonna keep using the mouse go back to windows.

Tips:
- Compile a custom kernel, genkernel is for literal fags who are to retarded to use menuconfig
-https://github.com/yngwin/etc.portage/blob/master/package.mask/lennartware
- Try to avoid the shitware known as polkit, pam, gnome3, avahi, systemd, pulseaudio (just use plain ALSA), ifplugd, consolekit, dconf, gconf, dbus, udisks, upower, and wayland. Compiling software without these wil let you have 170MB Memory used even with terminals and qutebrowser open.
- Don't use systemd unless you like being a cuck of lennart
- Make sure to not bloat stuff with USE flags
>>
>>56233280
can you tell us why you want to install it ?
if it's for testing or simply curiosity why not install it in a virtual machine ?
>>
>>56233280
a few hours at the least if you start from stage3.

I just installed Gentoo 2 weeks ago. I spread it out over 3 nights. First night was getting the basic install done and configuring my kernel. I had forgotten to emerge wpa_supplicant and it took me awhile to get to that point. 2nd night was basically the rest of my system. I was going to install kde, but changed my mind and decided to use i3wm like I usually do. compiling webkit took most of the night. The third night was fixing all the little things that nagged me.
>>
>>56233280
>poondians
>>
>>56235872
Don't listen to this retarded asshole.

Use genkernel, it still uses nconfig (menuconfig is for faggots)
systemd profile for headless and gnome/systemd profile for desktop
You won't have to worry about useflags because thats what the fucking desktop gnome profile is for.
>>
>>56235872
I kinda wanna install Gentoo with systemd, compiz, and unity, just to see the autists on /g/ rage. Maybe I could install apt and use Linux mint packages.
>>
>>56236036
The thing with Gentoo is that you can do whatever you want.
>>
>>56233280
>How long does it really take to install Gentoo?
Depends on how experienced you are

The compiling isn't really time intensive at all unless you're on a toaster; the hard part is configuring it from the ground up
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.