[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cabling gurus get in here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

sup /g/,
Im trying to get comcast to my house. im stuck on att DSL (not even uverse) and im at 6/.2 Mbps. anyway, my property touches 2 roads. one road is my adress road that comcast says is unservicable unless i pay the shared cost to install the lines ($9850). the other road has full comcast service. its about 500 ft from my house which i understand is to far for coax. p2p wireless is not an option because of thick tree cover. so im thinking fiber. my idea is to put a service post with a waterproof box and have comcast run their coax to that, then i can run a fiber link to my house. is there a way to do this without running power to it?

tl;dr best way to run internet connection 500ft from outdoor utility box with comcast coax to house.
>>
If you can run fiber, you can run power. No?
>>
>>56233265
>p2p wireless is not an option because of thick tree cover
Get a pole, put wireless radio on top of pole.
Get 2nd pole, put 2nd wireless radio on top of 2nd pole.

Make sure one pole is at or near your house, make sure the 2nd pole is at or near their service box.
>>
>>56233265
>its about 500 ft from my house which i understand is to far for coax
Not if you get an amp.
>>
>>56233286
i could run power yes and if i have to i will. im hoping that i could find a way to do this without running additional lines for simplicity.

>>56233328
VERY HEAVY tree cover. roughly 500 ft between my house and the point of service and its down a roughly 200ft 25% grade.

>>56233360
i thought about that too, but wouldnt i have to install the amp at the utility box?
>>
>>56233286
>>56233360

Put these posts together OP.
>>
>>56233396
>additional lines for simplicity
laying a 2nd line is just as much effort as the first.

Just lay some power and you've got the simplest and best solution.
>>
they arent going to run a fucking drop to some random high school kids cardboard box he planted on someone elses property.

stay in school
>>
>>56233432
>>56233398
ok i get that, but thats not what im asking.

>>56233458
believe it or not, everyone on /g/ is a highschool kid in their parents basement.
>>
>>56233500
but you are. you can just stop now because nothing you are fucking thinking will ever happen. they will NEVER run a line to some random fucking box you tell them to. EVER.

EVER
>>
>>56233265
>i can run a fiber link to my house
I dont think you understand the difficult involved in making your own fiber cables, digging trenches, or getting easements from your neighbor and the city.
>>
>>56233265

Literally the easier option would be to petition the zoning committee of your area to change your address to the serviced street, and tell Comcast to suck a dick, they told you that road had full service, and you're on that road now.
>>
>>56233512
you evidently dont know anyone in a rural community.

>>56233546
idk how difficult it is at this point. i have 6/.2 and a 150Gb data cap on my dsl. i am literally 1 step above dial up and i work from home. i have been putting up with this trying to find another option for almost 2 years.

>>56233687
at that point i still have to run the cable from the street to my house. comcast never guaranteed they service anything. i know they service that whole road because i put like 15 addresses into their website and they all said that service already exists or that it is available.
>>
>>56233880
>idk how difficult it is at this point.
It'll be cheaper to tell comast that you'll pay for them to build out their infrastructure to service your address than it will be for you to pay a company to dig a trench, lay fiber and power, setup some demarc box with a router in it, and pay off your neighbors and city for easements whenever you have to cross property lines. You're not going to do this yourself.
>>
>>56233265
Have you checked with comcast to see if they will even run service to this box your gunna make?
>>
>>56233929
im not going to be crossing other peoples property. i dont plan on digging trenches. im not going to have someone else do this for me.

i want to build a service post for comcast to service. then run cabling through the trees from that post to my house. im asking /g/ if there are any cabling gurus that know the best way to do this. preferably without running power down to the post.
>>
>>56233975
i called them today before i started posting here. the CSR told me it is not unheard of for things like this for rural areas or seasonal RV property. they have someone coming out to do a land survey this week. im not really rural, but im on enough land i cant see my neighbors and im close enough to the forest we get bears/mountain lions/deer etc. im hoping i can go into the comcast service center tomorrow and talk to an engineer just to maybe find out what i can do if anything to make this surveyor side with me. i mean, if they do a survey and say they can run it to my house via that route for $500 then fuck yeah ill do that. but im planning on doing this as a last ditch effort.
>>
>>56234007
>i dont plan on digging trenches.
Enjoy having animals gnaw on your fiber

>im not going to have someone else do this for me.
you're not going to terminate fiber yourself

>. im asking /g/ if there are any cabling gurus that know the best way to do this. preferably without running power down to the post.
How the fuck do you think this is going to work. You're going to some how magically connect a fiber cable to a coax cable? You're going to have a box with a cable modem and router in it. How the fuck are you going to do that without power? Do you even have experience using enterprise class networking equipment?
>>
>>56234007
and why do you think any company will let this? the only thing remotely possible is to put the modem out there and then run fiber back because 500ft is too long for ethernet.

regardless, it wont happen
>>
>>56233265
Wait, Comcast said 'no problem, we'll extend the service and solve all your problems right now for $10k'? That is a fucking bargain. I would take it in a second myself. Do it.
>>
>>56234074
>i mean, if they do a survey and say they can run it to my house via that route for $500 then fuck yeah ill do that.

You're missing zero, minimum. What you want to do isn't *that* unusual (most /g/entoomen live in the suburbs/cities, I'd imagine), but it is definitely costly. There's no way this is going to cost less than 4 figures, possibly 5 depending on the logistics of your particular situation.
>>
well thanks for your help /g/. i forgot that you're more interested in being an ass than trying to help find a creative solution to a stupid problem.

as is customary for an OP trip i now retire it.
trippin-cuse-im-OP#35bn24po57uvtn2it4bnv
>>
>>56234074
Yea your best bet is to talk to an engineer and see what he recommends. For instance it might be cheaper to buy an amplifier and boost the coax connection. Or if comcast is running fiber to the node it might be cheaper to just buy some connectors and run fiber back to the house.

>http://www.markertek.com/product/lnx-otr-1210/lynx-technik-yellobrik-otr-1210-madi-coax-to-madi-fiber-transceiver-10km-1310nm-lc-connectors-singlemode-version?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6O-9BRDjhYXH2bOb8Z4BEiQAWRduk-CWvu4Lf1lFzRLAoh6WTpRIxzHxk4nY0N92LzBfzrcaAh-l8P8HAQ
It doesnt seem like you need power to convert coax into fiber but i think it will depend on the signal strength of the coax at the box. Regardless comcast is going to be able to inform you better than anyone here can.
>>
im a fag
>>
File: 544.png (526KB, 600x526px) Image search: [Google]
544.png
526KB, 600x526px
>>56234263
>>
>>56233880

>you evidently dont know anyone in a rural community.

I live in Rural Arkansas. No small portion of the people I know live in a "rural community". Clearly you don't live in a very rural area if you can't go talk to your zoning committee chair person about moving your address. And if you don't live in a Rural Area, guess what, you can still go to your local zoning committee and submit a petition to change your address. I used to be involved in local government as a chairman for the county's water board. It is literally this easy. If they ask for a reason, tell them you're undergoing/going to undergo renovations to your house, which would result in your driveway/front door/etc to face the other street.
>>
>>56234241
If you had read the rubric at the start of the deal you'd know that this is a discussion board, not a tech-support board.
Nobody here has any first-hand tech knowledge, only stuff they've read online or on the boxes the components for their rig came in.
>>
>>56234256
> No power
Says 12v on the damn box
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.