[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

r/Showerthoughts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: nostalgia.gif (38KB, 461x376px) Image search: [Google]
nostalgia.gif
38KB, 461x376px
Back in the early ages of first MSN Messenger version,
How did people manage to talk each others if internet fees where so expensive and probably few were able to stay online more than 1 hour a day?
How did this service even survive back then?
>>
>>56232227
hey reddit
>>
>>56232261
>gives reddit gold
>>
>>56232227
kill yourself you worthless piece of shit
>>
>>56232497
>receives downvote ↓
>>
>>56232347
so what's the exchg. rate between reddit and 4chan gold?
>>
>>56232227
>email notification link in the IM
I kinda miss this
>>
>>56232599
None

No one wants to have 4chan gold
>>
>>56232497

upboat
>>
>>56232671
nice try JEW you're not getting a gram of it
>>
>not surfing the World Wide Web via CompuServe
>>
Internet fees weren't expensive at all back in those days. They were just slow as fuck.
>>
>>56232227
people got on at certain hours, like right after school
>>
>>56232227
I don't remember internet being that expensive in the 90s. As far as I can remember it was fairly cheep though slow. The one thing that could really fuck you was your phone bill because connecting to the internet with a dialup modem still counted as a call. However this wasn't a big deal since most big dial up services would have lots of local dialin numbers and you could get phone plans with generous local calling terms.

Also you just didn't spend as much time online, especially since you had to go through the connection process unlike modern always on internet connections. You'd dial in, do whatever you needed to do, and then disconnect. Since people used a lot more local applications instead of web apps (which didn't exist then) you didn't need to spend as much time online for your computer to be useful. Also the fact that most people didn't have a second phone line for their modem really encouraged you to only stay connected for however long you needed.

As for chatting, you'd usually have some peak times like just after school and in the late evening when a lot of your friends would be online. If you stayed home sick from school and got online at 11pm, it would be a ghost town.
>>
>>56232227
Sent ;)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.