[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is networking easier than programming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 19

File: 1471857059013.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471857059013.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
Is networking easier than programming?
>>
>>56224586(You)
>>
>>56224586
It is now a programming degree in 2016. I assume this is why you're asking.

Networking is easy.

Programming is complex but more rewarding.
>>
>>56224586
no
>>
>>56224586

yes but it's for low test fags
>>
>>56224586
On top of having no idea why something doesn't work, you also have to interact with physical things in the real world.
>>
>>56224586
>Posting my waifu
Michelle, run far from this faggot
>>
>>56224586
If by networking you mean configuring your local wlan router then yes. If you have to find an error in 3kms of inhouse cabling with 120 clients attached then yes that can be quite tricky.
>>
>>56224586
Everything is easier than programming
>>
File: 1470469073443.jpg (24KB, 418x438px) Image search: [Google]
1470469073443.jpg
24KB, 418x438px
>>56224586
Not for God.
>>
Networking = like being a nurse at a clinic.
Programming = like being a doctor at a hospital.
>>
>all these tech-illiterate fags saying networking is easy because they think it boils down to connecting cables and setting up a password for their wireless routers

kek no

Networking is pretty hard.

Read up on it: http://intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/current/html/
>>
>>56224853
No.
We're saying it's easy relative to being a seasoned programmer.
>>
>>56225009

Literally any Indian can be a programmer. That's why programmers can't find jobs anymore, there's literally a billion Indians and another billion of Chinks competing with you.
>>
>>56224764
>Networking = like being a nurse at a clinic.
>Programming = like being a doctor at a hospital.

it's more like,

networking = like being a paramedic
programming = like being a doctor

both hate each others guts and won't respect the skills that either field takes because they view their field as better
>>
I do network programming for a living.
>>
>>56225009
What. Networking is fucking black magic m8, even if you think you understand it, it's still possible to suprise you.
>>
I just started studies in information technology and you have to study a bit of both.

But you can choose which you want to focus more on. I was thinking about concentrating more on programming. Is this a good idea or should I study both equally?
>>
>>56225120
Study both equally and end up doing >>56225102
>>
>>56224586
As a programmer, I'd say no. But its really one of those "to each their own" things.
>>
>>56224586
It depends on what you're tasked to do, both can be extremely easy or extremely hard
>>
>>56225173
what he said
depends on the scale of what you have to work with
where I work just comming up with a basic structure for a network can take well weeks, months or years... yes definitely depends on the scale
>>
Depends on the level
Programming is harder from beginner to intermediate levels, but advanced levels is really just experience and remembering what you did last time.
Networking is dirt easy, but the upper level guys with network design and all the weird fucking shit that you have to piece together at the higher level is a constantly moving shit pile that requires talent and concentration. Also, you have 10000s of people watching while you try not to fuck up. At worst programmers have 10s of people watching over a webex while the group debugs their code.
>>
>>56224721
>3km
Not a lot of cabling, also

>I dont know what a time domain reflectometer is
>>
>>56224586
Any SJW womyn, fresh out of college, can become a programmer. It's an easy field to get into. Networking is very certification oriented, and it becomes harder for people to into because it is knowing protocols is not subjective like being a good programmer. There are a lot more women in high-level programming positions than there are in networking positions because you actually need to know things. There are only a handful of female CCIEs.
>>
File: 1471449797878.jpg (24KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
1471449797878.jpg
24KB, 500x371px
>>56224610
>networking is easy
>>
>>56226114
>programming is harder
Learning how to create loops for tasks that require repetition is not that hard. Once you know how to do the core programming concepts, you can do them in all languages once you learn the syntax.

>networking is dirt easy
What is easy about it? Is BGP easy? I don't think it's a stretch to say that more knowledge is required of a network engineer than a programmer. You can't solve problems in your own unique snowflake way in networking the way you do in programming. You either know exactly how something works, or you get fired.
>>
>>56224610
Networking and Programming are literally 2 completely different jobs. You could argue there's more money in software development but it's not harder. Network Architects who work for big tech companies make a stupid amount of money.
>>
>>56226354
>networ architects
even you average network engineer is pulling 80-100k
>>
>>56224586
Networking is a lot like Programming.

In fact you will need some programming knowledge to be a good network guy.

That said, read up on your protocols and read up those TCP/IP RFCs
>>
>>56226375
Yeah, I have a friend with no degrees making six figures with a CCNP and a few years experience. The amount of stress these guys have to deal with is insane. I can't even imagine being responsible for if literally everyone in the company is able to work or not because the network went down and you have to figure out why.
>>
>>56224853
+1

High level networking is hard. I bet most of you doesn`t even know the iso/osi layer and what they mean
>>
>>56224853
>http://intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/current/html/
>>56225102
What are some job titles of entry level tech jobs for networks is there a job title like assistant to the network/system administrator,i have no qualifications or schooling just need an entry level job for experience since i am starting school in January, and is there a specific site i should be using for tech jobs? I am just looking for overnight comfy zombie job.
>>
>>56226477
Don't you mean low level?
>>
>>56226415
just imagine having to do that work not 'for' a company but for the internet if you know what I mean
... that's fun
>>
>>56226477
Because the average /g/ user is a "cs major in college looking for a laptop that can play games. is this a good laptop? Pls respond"
>>
New rule: if you don't know what Ruckus or Mikrotik are, then you can't reply to this thread.
>>
>>56226477
I've implemented a new feature to TCP and got it ack'ed by the net-next guys, currently under review and I guess it will get included in the kernel pretty soon.
>>
>>56226504
>comfy zombie job

Don't go into networking.
As soon as something goes wrong everyone will shit down your throat.
>>
>>56226415
>>56226375
>>56226354

Network folks make a shit ton more money than programmers because not literally a billion Indians competing with us. Programming is fuck easy, literally any Indian on the streets of Bombay can do it.
>>
>>56226545
Link?
>>
>>56226477

>High level networking is hard.

Wow, so hard..
>what is a Switch
>what is Fast Ethernet
>Learn some archaic stuff like Token-ring for the lulz
>7 OSI layers, half of them is programming anyway
>>
>>56226577
You can find it if you search the mailing lists for "Redundant Data Bundling"
>>
File: p_1000826958.jpg (73KB, 670x1000px) Image search: [Google]
p_1000826958.jpg
73KB, 670x1000px
>>56226547
I like working overnights, and when i say comfy zombie job i mean any job. Its a upgrade from retail and dealing with customers asking if this bulb is a daylight bulb. I am just looking for entry level stuff, looking for study guides for the a+ certification, but apart from that i am lost.
>>
>>56226587

Before the Internet came up, what did you use to do to embarrass yourself?
>>
>>56226599
Nothing pointing to pending implementations.
>>
>>56226587
the funny thing is that you don`t actually know what is a switch or what is Ethernet.
>>
>>56224586
*Brrrraaaaap*
>>
>>56224586
I only opened this thread because tits and ass.
>>
>>56226619

Look, only if you are retarded and need probably a week to grasp broadcasting,
throughput vs. latency or subnets-masks, doesn't mean everybody is like that.

Wow, you have TCP/TP and UDP, you have GET and POST..

You can literally make a list of important things and concepts and lern it three days. That doesn't mean I configure my own nginx server or know leran some retarded protocols, but to the ideas are super simple.
>>
>>56224753
Fuck Temple OS
>>
>>56226547
be careful when applying to a 'networking job' at an ISP too
one fucking mistake I tell you, just one little fucking mistake in the wrong place.....
>>56226673
how come I don't connect any of that with high level ?
>>
>>56226656

I don't install them, no.
That what electricians like you are for.
>>
>>56226569
There's a difference between programming and software engineering though. Anyone can be a programmer to a certain extent. The big money is in software engineering and if you're good at what you do, there's no limit to how much money you can make.
>>
>>56226653
It is already implemented and it is acked, which means that it meets code quality requirements.
>>
>>56226673

This is bait if I've ever seen one.
>>
>>56226696

>how come I don't connect any of that with high level?

OK, then additional two weeks for your mysterious "high level" networking..
>>
>>56224586

Are apples more difficult than oranges?
>>
>>56226745
yes
>>
>>56226673
>three days
Yeah, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. How do you even define learning something? Knowing the basics? You can't learn a protocol in three days anymore than you can learn a programming language in three days.
>>
>>56226673

durrr I copy and paste from stackexchange and cannibalize the sample code that comes with my libraries i'm a big boy look out stupid network techs
>>
>>56226726
No, I think he really is retarded.
>>
File: yfw.jpg (28KB, 260x342px) Image search: [Google]
yfw.jpg
28KB, 260x342px
>>56226772

Uhm.. yeah, it's OK.

I guess most network guys need.. ..uhm.. a few months to understand TCP/IP.

>laughing_sluts.jpg
>>
>>56226798
>hur dur I wrote a program that prints odd numbers up to 100
>god tier programmer coming through
>>
>>56226822

That's /g/ fizzbuzzers in a nutshell though.
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 680x1058px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 680x1058px
>>56226798
>>
>>56225084
>and won't respect the skills that either field takes because they view their field as better
Everyone knows a doctors is better.
>>
>>56226662
I thought this meme died
>>
This thread in a nutshell:

https://youtu.be/nm69G0IYHsM
>>
Any of you guys in the networking field use Linux at work? As someone who is trying to get entry-level work, I imagine I'll be SSHing on Windows for a while. Or do most employers not care?
>>
Join the SDN mustardrace and get best of both worlds
>>
>>56226903
Topkek
>>
>>56226538
This.
>>
>>56226884
No shit but that analogy doesn't make sense in this situation.
>>
>>56226905
I imagine my employer woulnd't care too much... would be happy about some experience of course
in my case you would first have to be walked through everything for a week anyways... at least
before we let you think about touching anything
and I think the only windows net we have running is the guys who take care of the people in the bureaus
we got some old terminals running but... no windows
>>
File: 1451746573799.png (179KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
1451746573799.png
179KB, 500x358px
>>56226905
we use a mixture at our place
>physical windows workstations
>log into windows VM's
>hosted on Linux servers
>ssh'ing into headless Linux servers
>from there ssh into the actual network devices
there's like 5 to 10 layers of authentication before we are able to reach anything.
>>
>>56226232
This shit right here
>>
>>56225026
>programmers can't find jobs anymore
kek, maybe the unqualified kind, but anyone worth anything can get a job in the bay area paying 6 figures entry level
>>
>>56224721
>120 clients
so your work for some kind of micro business with virtually no end users? must be nice.
>>
>>56226905
i work for a major enterprise and our network guys use Putty in Windows (but they are idiots)
>>
>>56227174
>physical windows workstations
>log into windows VM's
why
>>
No

t. a network programmer
>>
>>56227583
>Putty in Windows
Cringe. After /g/, I can only stand to look at Linux terminal emulators. Everything on Window is painful.
>>
>>56227634
Congrats to a job that I could never do because it would drive me mad.
>>
>>56227465
>6 figures entry level
Is this the 90s? In 2016, how many Kumar Punjabis could a Silicon Valley company hire for that much? 2 or 3 maybe? Don't forget all the kids with their shiny new CS degrees that will work for $15/hr. You're kidding yourself if you think six figures entry level is real.
>>
>>56226232

>Any SJW womyn, fresh out of college, can become a programmer.

So you might explain the difference between P and NP? What is an finite state machine? Turing completeness?

What is simulated annealing? The complexity, pros and cons of serveral sorting algorithms? How many differnt trees do you know?

And let's not get started with graphical stuff, artificial intelligence, and robotics..
>>
>>56224586
As a programmer and networking engineer, none of it fucking matters. They both have their setbacks but theyre equally hard in their own respects.

Yes, networking sometimes requires a high degree of understanding of the underlying concepts.

Yes, anyone can get a CCNA.
No, not everyone can get a CCIE.

Yes programming requires skill and patience, you can't just arbitrarily write some code and expect a company to be happy with it. It has to make sense and be maintainable.

Yes anyone can learn programming.
No, not everyone can become a software developer.

But seriously, quit comparing Harambe to Caitlyn Jenner.
>>
>>56228022

>difference between P and NP
>>
File: 158.png (11KB, 447x378px) Image search: [Google]
158.png
11KB, 447x378px
>>56228070
>yfw both are the same
>>
File: makimaki.png (146KB, 337x509px) Image search: [Google]
makimaki.png
146KB, 337x509px
>>56224586
ITT: Illiterate CS Retards

I'm an IT Engineer (so I master both programming and networking, along with some other shit) and I can confirm programming is a walk in the park compared to networking. Anyone saying otherwise is prolly some pajeet who finds codecademy lessons hard or a sad NEET that thinks he's a master of computers because he knows assembly.

NETWORKING
IS
A
FUCKING
NIGHTMARE
>>
>>56227904
I'm white, American, and making 120k in my first year. It's real, even if you can't land such a job.
>>
Networking is all knowledge based. I already know the beginning concepts, and I'm sure I can spend a month and be a master networker, or at least more advanced than 90% of the market. Programming, you can't teach that to anyone. It requires a very logical mind, and the common personality type doesn't lend well to that mindset.
>>
>>56230044
>I'm sure I can spend a month and be a master networker
>Programming, you can't teach that to anyone.

This is the average /g/ user, everyone.
>>
>>56226686
FUCK CIA NIGGERS
>>
>>56229955
>120k in my first year
Fake and gay.
>>
>>56230092
You made a couple of mistakes. 1) you think anyone cares about the top tier skill of either of these fields. Everything is so casualized that learning low level concepts, for instance, is not necessary anymore to make something work. That work has already been done for us. 2) You're underestimating how retarded people are being able to understand simple logic.

>hey, how do you program a conditional block that prints a certain text out if a variable is greater than x?
>why does the text have to print out anything because of the variable? Why can't it just be printed no matter if the variable is greater or less? Why is it biased?

I'm not fucking kidding, this was an actual response in a programming class
>>
>>56229955

Nice triple dubs, but the fact that only whites can land such jobs is a testament to the systemic racism sadly still so pervasive in our country.
>>
>>56230166
As trollish as this post is, it's funny as a non white guy making white programmers in high jobs bulge their eyes when I explain to them concepts they thought I didn't know.
>>
>>56224586
you mean like meeting new people?

fuck no, programming is easier
>>
>>56230193
>they thought I didn't know.
So, the mindset of the average non-white person is this self-imposed, presumed inferiority and the desire to overcome a non-existent stereotyping? You assume that these men think of you as inferior to them, and that is a fault of yours. You're probably one of these people who thinks "diversity" should be a requirement in all offices.
>>
>>56230229
Good try, but fuck no. Diversity can go fuck itself. I believe that everyone has a chance at the same thing, but some have it harder than others. It's that fact alone that makes it more fun for people like me because even though we have to go through more to prove ourselves, the supposed "elite" have to hold a higher standards. So if I'm in a discussion with multiple people in high positions, if I'm able to at least talk at their level, I'm already competing against several others in the discussion who may not have the same knowledge, so their credentials are tested. It's simple sociology. It's easier for someone to not have high expectations and to be surprised than to have high expectations and then be disappointed. Of course this means if they gave you, a minority, a benefit of the doubt and you ended up disappointing them, then it hurts more on my end. So the risk goes for all races, just divided up differently.
>>
>>56229487
Would Maki go into networking or programming?
>>
Fucking networking. Depends on how much your company wants you to do. You know what, no it doesn't. Not only do you have the technical side of getting everything to play nice together you also have the mechanical side of bad routers, wiring, dishes, repeaters and a fuck host of other things to worry about. If one of those links goes bad you get to climb the chain until you find it.
>>
>be black
>know networking and programming
>everyone in my city wants me
>they don't even care about my skin color

Whoever said racism exists in the tech field are retards. People just want their websites built, their databases ran, and their security programs secured. If you can do the job, they don't even care. I've dealt with several southern white types, for instance, who don't even think twice my skillset. I just wiggle my fingers and make stuff work, and that seems good enough for them. Then they take me out to big fancy restaurants and introduce me to their middle aged or young blonde wives.
>>
>>56229487
>IT Engineer
>"Master of programming"
lul
>>
>>56229955

Pay stub or get the fuck out. $120k/year entry level jobs are so rare they may as well not exist (graduate level education =/= entry level).
>>
>>56230152
anyone can do the low level shit in both fields here you are exactly right but that't not what the people up there have discussed
that's what I tell myself before I go to sleep at least
>>
>>56230456
>be black
I am a hiring manager at a Fortune 500 company. We hire everyone from shit heads with their first CCNA to CISSPs with decades of experience. Racism does exist in the tech field, but not in the way you might expect. Thanks to affirmative action, we have to place more priority on people of non-white ethnicity. If two candidates come in with nearly the same level of experience and certification, but one is black and the other is white, the black guy will get the job every time.
>>
>>56230542
The average /g/ user is one of the two things:

>actual programmers with experience
>newcomers trying into programming saying if they should start with python

That's your average /g/ user
>>
>>56230560
I'm sorry to hear that. I normally don't want people hiring me to fulfill some quotas because most of the time, they'll give me shit jobs without knowing what I can do. Happened before in a couple of past jobs. It's like being a female, except I have no vag to climb the social ladder with.
>>
>>56230456
Not to mention having to deal with shitty software written by pea brain programmers.
>>
File: 1453514218810.jpg (136KB, 500x687px) Image search: [Google]
1453514218810.jpg
136KB, 500x687px
>>56230560
Count me triggered
>>
>>56230580
Well, yeah, then there's that. I never believed how stupid people were before I was given a program where all the variables were shittily named and conditionals were all over the place with everything sitting in only one or two files of 10K lines of code with no functional or oop concepts anywhere. Shit was insane. I spent probably three months remaking it all into cleaner and more functional code. Jesus christ, when people say you have to be good at programming, you really have to be.

Protip to noobs, take some SE courses while you're at it. Writing good code is just as important as being able to write it.
>>
File: B43oLUx.jpg (94KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
B43oLUx.jpg
94KB, 768x1024px
>>56224633
I figured the biggest issue is financial backing. The rest is just following cables and testing 8f the light blinks.
>>
>>56230566
every once in a while you meet certain somebodies fellow anon....
if you've never had pleasure well I'm sorry to hear that
>>
>>56224586
im a software engineer with a CCNP. Programming just covers a wider range of problems but that doesn't mean it's easier. Both are as easy or difficult as you are willing to work.
>>
>>56230630
>be in college
>work for computer department as a computer check in person
>servers go down
>it's the weekend so it's going to take a few hours for someone to come out
>see the server bank and realize light isn't coming on
>fiddle with a few wires and it returns to normal

It's just one fucking giant router. Why was my manager afraid of it
>>
File: grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>56224610
>Programming is complex

There's nothing complex about if else logic and elementary school math. Programming is easy if you plan out what you want to do with pseudo code
>>
>>56229955
Could you speak anymore shit?

Proof or gtfo.
>>
>>56224586

>Is networking easier than programming?

I feel like I have enough experience in both fields to compare both. (5 years programmer, 7 years sysadmin). I understand that being a Sysadmin is not the same as a network admin but I have spent many long shifts side by side with one in the NOC.

Programmer's tend to have a steady 9-5 job, while a network admin/engineer may get stuck at the NOC or doing emergency calls. It really depends on what you like. I personally prefer the thrill of dealing with outages, attacks, etc. and prefer it over 9-5 in a cubicle.

With all of the automated technology out there that is designed to secure networks, stop attacks in their place, etc. No one has designed anything that is able to completely replace a human sitting a terminal. That special skill and judgement as an admin is acquired over the years, just like your skills and experience as a programmer becomes more refined over the years.
>>
>>56224586
no
>>
I have seen some of the shit the network admins have had to deal with at my job and I would never want to deal with it. I will take my comfy desk jockey position as a programmer.
>>
>>56230835
But programmers can experience the same shit and be on call for an emergency. Especially in more web industries where something stupid breaks cause of a plugin update or an unseen condition that happens cause of some internet-related person. You can't really give a point to networking for that because networking has just as much downtime as it does uptime, if not more downtime. You can easily lazy through an entire month if nothing happens.
>>
File: paystub.png (24KB, 783x168px) Image search: [Google]
paystub.png
24KB, 783x168px
>>56230151
>>>/reddit/

>>56230525
>>56230719
it's actually more, cause I got a $20k starting bonus. But that's my salary, yeh. First pay period I started partway through, so it's not as high as it would be otherwise.
>>
>>56230914
wow totally legit man
>>
>>56226770

Good to know. Thanks.
>>
>>56226354
It kind of makes a difference depending of where you go. Jobs that deal with networking at something like Cisco will pay better than Pajeet's software firm.
>>
>>56224586
Nope, and Roger sucks cock
>>
>>56231037
I don't know what you want me to post. There's nothing I could post that couldn't also be faked.
>>
>>56231154
>$14,500 per period
>you make $377k after taxes
>>
>>56226697
>literally doesn't understand how the internet works.
>uses the internet to call someone who does a electrician.
Did your mom set up that router for you, hun?
Networking and programming are basically just skills. Use them to be better at your job.
>>
>>56224586

> wanting to babysit computers and get yelled at when the internet's not working
>>
>>56226532
sounds like a big work 'for' you
>>
File: 1431910095854.png (208KB, 574x480px) Image search: [Google]
1431910095854.png
208KB, 574x480px
>>56231282
you're not wrong
>>
>>56224586
Not really. They're both different.
>>
>>56231125
kek
>>
File: images (48).jpg (16KB, 415x354px) Image search: [Google]
images (48).jpg
16KB, 415x354px
I'm a computerologist and make a bazillion dollars
>>
>>56231222
can you read? I said that I got a 20k bonus during the first pay period
>>
>>56231301
leave me alone networking the interwebs isn't fun
>>
Networking is the way of life, Network Engineers are Absolute Genius ! Programmers only contribute to obesity and Red Bull and what i mean by Red Bull is the red bull in their pants over all their mommy Issues
>>
>>56224586
coding can get dramatically more complex, though networking can be more like working without a net, given that you can fuck *lots* of users all at once and they'll instantaneously notice and will have no mercy.

that said, entry tier programmers and network ops are both garbage.
>>
>>56226477
>iso/osi layer
>High level
wut
>>
File: CCIE.png (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
CCIE.png
8KB, 225x225px
How "prestigious" is the CCIE cert in industry?
>>
>>56235205
Basically a doctorate.
>>
>>56235265
thanks
>>
>>56226686
edgy
>>
>>56226340
>>>56226114
>>networking is dirt easy
>What is easy about it? Is BGP easy? I don't think it's a stretch to say that more knowledge is required of a network engineer than a programmer. You can't solve problems in your own unique snowflake way in networking the way you do in programming. You either know exactly how something works, or you get fired.

Don't worry /g/ probably only knows NAT and their router.
https://github.com/svelmuruganrvs/Books/blob/master/Computer%20Science/Computer%20Networks%2C%20Andrew%20S.%20Tanenbaum%2C%20David%20J.%20Wetherall%2C%205ed.pdf
For anyone they think it's just plugging in routers.
>>
>>56235205
I don't think there's a more valuable cert desu. Although this is a certification that many will never even dream of getting which is why it's so highly regarded.
>>
>>56230914
so 14k a month?

that is very good.
>>
>>56229955
Is this in California or something? I would believe it if so.
>>
>networking
>oh hey look this computer doesnt have internet, better unplug and plug in the ethernet cord and get payed a loads amount of money for literally no reason/hard work but good luck getting a job in the first place since requirements are super strict
>programming
>oh hey i've aquired all these skills and knowledge of multiple languages even worthless ones that nobody uses only dumb businesses and can type like a madman but i dont have a job because currymen from india steal all the programming job and cant even do basic java ++1 arrays but hey because they can work for 5 cents its ok
>>
>>56226516
Lowest lvl is pluging in the cable
>>
BGP is extremely complicated
>>
Is this Just Fuck My Shit Up: The Cert?
>>
File: ccie-r-s.jpg (36KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ccie-r-s.jpg
36KB, 300x300px
>>56236103
pic related
>>
Programmers are doctors
Network engineers are surgeons
>>
>>56235205
CCIE is a good cert, but be careful because there are a lot of people with the paper knowledge out there with CCIEs who don't have the real life skills or have no ability to implement their skills in any environment.
>>
>>56226547
Entry level networking = cabling. Go find a network cable installer and show them that you know the difference between cat6, cat5e, and that you can terminate a cable correctly with an RJ45 end. You'll get to follow a floor plan and cut holes in walls for awhile. Pay = shit, btw.

The other easy angle is to go the Windows sysadmin route, get your (whatever they call the MCSE cert these days). Your responsibilities will end at the jack, but you'll have your foot in the door and can work on your cisco certs from a comfy robot desk.

Begin networking by getting your CCNA certification.
>>
>>56224610
>networking is easy
>programming is complex

???
>>
>>56236217
Isn't in 2 parts? Like a written part and a lab part? I know you can just braindump the written part, but I don't think there's any way you're gonna get away with cheating on the lab part.
>>
>>56226114
>but advanced levels is really just experience and remembering what you did last time.
is this what people who've never programmed before actually think?
>>
File: 1438797590673.gif (4KB, 132x167px) Image search: [Google]
1438797590673.gif
4KB, 132x167px
Good morning /g/

>>56226606
skip a+, go for ccna (or, as cisco is going down the shitter right now, similiar certs).

http://certcollection.org/forum/forum/1-training-offers-requests/

thank me later

>>56226673
The protocols aren't that hard. How to apply the knowledge is.
Ever debugged Spanning Tree? Configured undocumented networking gear for MPLS VPN?

>>56226905
We got Win10 here. But *NIX knowledge is useful - Juniper for example builds on FreeBSD.
You could also get into Quagga and such.
>>
>>56229487
>master of programming
lol
>>
>frame relay being phased out in the 120-125

Just fuck my shit up, that's probably what I had the most difficulty with besides STP.
>>
>>56236237
Just because you can pass a lab exam doesn't mean you can implement your skills in the real world. Although labs are pretty much the closest you can test to get to "real life experience".

My experience with CCIEs is that if you test them on their skills (actual CCIE material, like multicast or QoS tagging) they are pretty much just lost and confused. To be fair high level problems don't come up too often. Perhaps I have just been unlucky.

Honestly dealing with these people seriously makes me hate the certification game, but you need that shit in order for HR drones to pass on your resume to people that matter. And you have to spend money and jump through hoops to renew it every 2-3 years. It's infuriating.
>>
>>56236340
>trouble with STP
How? The concepts are pretty simple. Frame Relay on the other hand is antiquated bullshit that needs to fuck off.
>>
If you think networking is easier than programming you don't know either.
>>
>>56224586
I don't know, but network programming is harder than either.
>>
>>56227651
Im balding already
>>
>>56230697
>There's nothing complex about if else logic and elementary school math.
You can break down anything like that and make it sound simple.
>>
>>56224586
should have gotten into networking.
get a job as sys admin.
100k starting.
do ablsolutely nothing.
browse 4chin all day to get paid.
>>
networking imo.

to know how to configure a switch is one thing. but to know how it all works - switches, routers, optical transport (a whole other fuckin' beast), fiber optics, voice networking/carriers - and to correct problems associated with such is a pain. it's gibberish. i work in a NOC for a ISP and the IP/networking engineers behind it all blow my mind sometimes.
>>
>>56236261
>Ever debugged Spanning Tree?
how the fuck did that happen ?
I can only imagine what the first moment when confronted with the problem was like haha

>>56238514
>i work in a NOC for a ISP
a fellow colleague how nice, well sort of
it doesn't get more complicated than building the internet itself if you ask me yes
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.