[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whats the point of Discrete Maths? Why the fuck do I need to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 15

File: gay_fucking_shit.jpg (686KB, 801x1008px) Image search: [Google]
gay_fucking_shit.jpg
686KB, 801x1008px
whats the point of Discrete Maths? Why the fuck do I need to learn this gay fucking shit in my CS course, it makes my head hurt. Am I going to be a better codemonkey after I know this shit?
>>
>>56224487
Same here, I'll get it next year I think. Don't even know what that shit is about.
>>
It's a bone thrown to the actual research professors...along with pointless undergraduate linear algebra. Combinatorics, graph theory and linear algebra are immensely important but the class will probably sucks won't help GIT A JERB.
>>
>>56224494
oh man I hope you get a good professor, this shit is nasty otherwise
>>
>>56224487
>i wanna make vidya gaymes!!1!!!
>>
File: fa8.jpg (54KB, 500x500px)
fa8.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>56224487
>Why the fuck do I need to learn this gay fucking shit i
The purpose is to weed out imbeciles who unironically call anything they don't understand "gay fucking shit".
>>
File: 90HRZBS3Tw0.jpg (161KB, 1253x1023px) Image search: [Google]
90HRZBS3Tw0.jpg
161KB, 1253x1023px
>>56224545
i like making websites tho
>>
>>56224561
>programming
\(^_^)/
>>
File: tgyWe_zg2nE.jpg (279KB, 1053x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tgyWe_zg2nE.jpg
279KB, 1053x1024px
>>56224571
lol what am I supposed to do, I fucking hate CS but I can't get a good webdev job without it
>>
>>56224487
>Discrete Mathematics by Richard Johnsonbaugh
PTSD intensifies
>>
>>56224487
You're doing Computer Science, anon. Obviously you need a high level of mathematics knowledge from principles of logic and predicate calculus all the way up, else how are you going to derive prove algorithmic complexities expressed in big-O notation? Without learning about Abelian rings in the context of modulo arithmetic, how would you learn ladder multiplication and exponentiation algorithms so you know how computers actually do arithmetic? Have you ever even done any functional programming, or understand any formal correctness proof methods?

You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you? You just wanted to code shit PHP, don't you?

Oh boy, did you ever pick the wrong course. CS is applied mathematics. Abort while you can. You may be early enough to commute to a course you'll find easier.

You wanted games programming, that's the meme shit degree this year. (Joke's on you, you need a high level of vector maths knowledge to hack it there, too.)
>>
>>56224545
Even if you want to be a game developer these days you better be good at maths.
>>
File: Hardest class in CS.png (423KB, 490x684px) Image search: [Google]
Hardest class in CS.png
423KB, 490x684px
>>56224487
>it makes my head hurt

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>56224590
Here comes the hoards of faggots that think they're superior for reading SICP once and skimming through Calc I. It's common knowledge that discrete mathematics is one of the shittier classes just because of the lack of good material on it.

Anyone who has studied applied math or CS would feel sympathy for OP as he is too chained to that shitty book in the pic.

>You wanted games programming, that's the meme shit degree this year. (Joke's on you, you need a high level of vector maths knowledge to hack it there, too.)
No you don't, you need linear algebra which is taught in high school, but you wouldn't know.
I mean I feel sorry for you, you're probably dumber than OP.
>>
>>56224487
>Why the fuck do I need to learn this gay fucking shit in my CS course

um, algorithim analysis?
>>
Computer science is maths.

If you want to be a code monkey you don't need a degree and you don't need to study, just go get a code monkey job.

If you aren't interested in esoteric knowledge then you shouldn't be at a university. Especially if you just don't want to learn.
>>
>>56224487
Programming is discrete math. Deal with it you faggot.
>>
>>56224598
>Discrete Mathematics with Cucks
>>
>>56224841
so theres no money in it?
>>
Why is it called discrete?
>>
>>56225007
You have to find materials for it on Backpage.
>>
>>56224657
Discrete math was one of my favorite courses, and I actually kept the book afterwards. And it's not worthless, I've applied some of the principles in my job. If you can't understand it or how you would apply it, then you need to start over and focus.
>>
>>56225007
because the elements/data/space/topology you handle in these courses are discontinuous, and those are called discrete.
>>
>>56224487
Stop fucking complaining. Look at that book and look hard. When I took the class, I took it with the indisputably worst teacher at my uni and the only resource we had was the 200 page book HE FUCKING WROTE. The book was literally just the transcript of his lecture, so he read from it word for word, then he would assign problems that were nonstandard so we couldn't look up an explanation online.

If we went in for help, he would complain that we should just read the book, then repeat what he had said in class without answering any questions. Ultimately a group of four of us had to guess and check tweaking tiny things until the program worked, and we would have no idea how or why.

If you have an actual book, you're already one step up.
>>
>>56224487
>Wanting to be a code monkey
Why?
>>
>>56225153
because im dumb and I'd never accomplish anything anyway?
>>
>>56225167
kys
>>
>>56225181
nah codemonkeying is fine for me
>>
>>56225055
kek NICE

also
>maths

Why the fuck do people think this is a word?
>>
whats is the best book on discrete?
knuth?
>>
>>56225320
I had this in school and it was fine:
https://www.amazon.com/Discrete-Mathematical-Structures-Bernard-Kolman/dp/0130831433
>>
There was part of discrete math classes is that they are teaching people that did not enjoy math too much before some dumb rules and exercises.

I mean.

If you are at some top uni you problem know basic before or atleast you are conscious how important is discrete match in cs.

They should teach discrete match with examples of real wold usage.

Yo uare solvin exercise and you can learn how to use it in real cs problems.
>>
Hahhahahaha all these poo in loo programmers who cant do some basic discrete maths.
>>
If statements. If you don't understand demorgan's then you cant write good programa.
>>
>>56225628
programs*
>>
>>56225544
95% of the jobs today are some C#/Java or devs jobs.

If you know how sorting algorithm works you know more than enough.
>>
>>56224944
No, you're just retarded.
>>
>>56225057
Ditto. Discrete Math seperates out the wolves from the sheep.
>>
>>56225648
and for people without any ambition that seems to be enough
>>
>>56225750
Its funny word on imageboard that 90% of people do not code at all, 2% is proffesionall C/Lisp fizz buzzers and 8% are webdevs.

Programming is job as any other job. Its not fucking art or duty.

Most of adult people have kids and family that they are responsible for.

They have to make money.

We live in era where nobody give a fuck about code quality, documentation or unit test.
Client is interesed in final product.
Producer want to cut costs.

We need this people, because market is big as fuck and in most cases companies want some simple programs not high level advence shit.

Every person will hit limit at some point. Even if they learn all math in cs, what would it change? they would do the same job as now.

For somebody his limit is web dev, for other algos.

Learning math is not about being able to solve shit but about understading certain concepts to the point where you can find on your own application of this math in your project and if require you can modify math part of the code to fit your problem well.

We are not equal. Everybody hit his peak and majority of human are lazy and dumb as fuck.
>>
>>56225936
Why don't you learn some English before defending idiots?
>>
It's called discrete mathematics because the fucking nerds who study this shit should be as discrete as possible so the rest of us can get on with important things.
>>
>>56225936
fuck innovation and inventions, right?
I agree, everyone should just proceed to be a miserable sack of shit, with no will or desire for major improvement
>>
OP is a retard. If anything, Calculus is the unecessary class with discrete mathematics a prerequisite to take and understand data structures. Hell even probability/statistics appears far more often. Though anyone who hated math is a pleb, it is far more enjoyable than the software engineering and business parts of CS.
>>
File: received_517138485164069.jpg (42KB, 460x923px) Image search: [Google]
received_517138485164069.jpg
42KB, 460x923px
>>56224545
>>
>>56226497
>math is far more enjoyable than programming
now that's autism
>>
>>56224536
>programming professionally
>not using linear algebra
>literally the cancer
>>
>>56225294
It's shortened to maths because maths is a shorthand for mathematics. Note the s at the end to denote plural.

TLDR: People outside the US shorten plurals to plurals, only the US dialect is retarded.
>>
>>56226522
Read nigga I said the SE and business parts of CS which involve little programming. If you ever took high level math classes, even at least numerical analysis and advanced linear algebra (both being able to heavily incorporate programming) you would learn the joy that is math combined with programming. Nothing better than analyzing a math function theoretically and implementing with your wizarding skills and seeing it work.
>>
>>56225936
Hey man, I'm here for you if you want to talk
>>
>>56225007
Discrete means the opposite of continuous, basically anything you can count with integers. For example, the real number line is continuous, while the integers are discrete.
>>
>>56226020
You say that, but I know for a fact that you'll never amount to anything.
>>
>>56224487
Discrete maths and basic linalg is easy as fuck compared to what actual math or physics majors have to deal with. Stop complaining.
>>
>>56226689
Discrete maths and linalg are easy as fuck even when compared to some of the advanced CS math classes.
>>
I loved discrete math, and the next one which was automata theory.
Best CS subjects tbhfamalambam
>>
I remember discrete 2, don't even know how I got a 70+ with how random that exam was.
>>
>>56224487
The point is that you have to be more than a codemonkey to have any hope of competing with Pajeet.
>>
>>56226675
trying to become better and failing isn't the same as never trying to become better because you're for some reason certain you'll fail
>>
>>56225936
You sound like you're a real hit at parties
>>
>>56224590
Was this a troll post? All of those things are incredibly basic first year topics
>>
>>56224487
He is right, goys. Just learn your Java and C# and ignore graph theory and combinatorics.
>>
Im coming from the opposite direction, i finished a discrete math class last semester. We covered logic, trees and graphs, and did a little bit on encryption.

Can someone tell me what i should learn next? Does polish/reverse polish notation come up much? Is the logic mainly used for logic gates? I have this knowledge but no reference of how important the discrete math ideas are.
>>
>>56225967
I do not have to.

My outsourcing compnay require only reading skill

>>56226020
people are smart enough to invent something study on their own

are you even working? do you have kids?
are you spending summer shitposting in rice my deskopt and meme keyboard general?

If any of you work in some high level shit like coding soft for airspace/military missles or other places where math is crucial okay.

but in modern software engineering there is barely place for your meme math innovation.
99% is just coding some shit, the biggest math challenge will be what kind of interpolation will fit the best or what one sorting algo is more efficient than other.

Its great that you want improve yourself, but you have this dream vision of the world.

Again
Barely anybody on /g/ code.
>>
To be honest, it's because CS is such a very young discipline.

We're already seeing the shift between the actual "computer science" and, for lack of a better word, "computer engineering" (though not actual computer engineering, which is a subset of electrical engineering)... "Applied computer science" would be a better term, but that's like calling engineering "applied physics" - it's true, but not the whole story.

No, knowing semi-advanced mathematics, formal computation, or how to analyse algorithms will not make you a better codemonkey - 99% of your career you will use libraries or algorithms designed by others, the other 1% of the time it won't matter - unless were writing very specialized programs for very specialized circumstances.
>>
>>56226948
What is the point of learning new things if you are never able to use it and your time on earth is limited?

8h job, 2h commute, dinner, help kids with school, you will have barely free time and after 8h of dazing into some shitty 20yo project wihtout any kind of sane documentation and full of """fast fixes""", watching bright screen again at home will be the last thing.
>>
>>56229224
that sounds like a lot less discrete math and a lot more algorithms and data structures. save for the logic. did u enjoy that class?
>>
>>56229300
>2h commute
have you considering moving or apply to work elsewhere?
>>
If you like coding but hate math drop cs and get an is degree instead.
>>
Discrete math is requirement for making any games.
>>
>>56224487
It helps you not be a code monkey
>>
>>56229300
>having kids
>2h commute
found your problems
>>
>>56229333
30min to school with kids then another 30min to job

it will take half the time when kids will commute on their own
>>
>>56229357
good to know

where are you working anon?
nsa/google/nasa/boening?

do you have account on projecteuler?

post your github account
>>
File: IMG_20160817_191305.jpg (130KB, 799x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160817_191305.jpg
130KB, 799x1200px
>>56224561
>>
>>56229398
>2016
>being edgy

senpai pls its not /r9k/
>>
>>56229452
Why? Are you going to tell me shit like learning the basics of algorithms and graph theory aren't useful for programming?
>>
>>56229529
I am just curious.
>>
>>56229434
>30min to school with kids
Where the fuck do you live that school buses arent a thing?
>>
Discrete Math was the first math course that I truly enjoyed.
>>
>>56225936
>>56225936
Agreed. All the people talking shit about this guy clearly didn't read what he meant
>>
>>56224487
u got to learn numbers if you want to be a scientist
>>
File: chink98.jpg (199KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
chink98.jpg
199KB, 1280x852px
>>56229458
>>
>>56229352
Not at all. Anyone can program games these days with Unity and UE, it isn't a hard field at all anymore. The only time the book in OP's pic came to my mind when I was programming a fast Quake 2 style dynamic lightmap generator, but even these days game programmers always use some phong/blinn shader copied from some tutorial to do lighting, no effort.

>>56224487

I fell in love with this book pretty quick, but I could imagine some people hating it. The writer is playing chess with the reader, not for everyone.

On another note, did anyone else hate math in HS and learned to absolutely love it throughout CS? Reading math books is strangely fun and enlightening.
>>
>>56224487
modern CS student everybody

why even study computer science? if your ambition is to be a simple codemonkey, than why not go to a bootcamp or better yet - self learn?

oh right, you're so pathetic you need to hide behind that degree.
>>
>>56224487
>>>/sci
>>
>>56229300
>learning?
>im too busy having a dead end life!
>>
>>56229308
I got a pretty good understanding of the graph and trees section,recursion and so on. Although the encryption part was poorly explained/ rushed. How much of what i learned is relevant to cs.
>>
>>56224657
>linear algebra taught in high school

No. Even the most advanced high schools rarely go past basic calculus. Linear algebra, while not that difficult, is at a slightly higher level than basic calculus. I've never heard of LA being taught at the high school level.
>>
>>56229733
>linear algebra slightly higher level than basic calculus

Really? I would guess calc I is just slightly higher level than linear algebra. Linear algebra to calculus seems like a more sensible order as linear algebra is easier.
>>
>>56229673
it's pretty hard to get a codemonkey job without a CS degree desu
>>
>>56229845
how deep into linear algebra are we talking here? the basics aren't too bad, but once you get into eigenvalues and shit, it starts to get a little difficult.

anyway, I found calc I to be a joke class, while linear algebra actually challenge me. of course, this is subjective
>>
>>56229904
calc I is a joke class, can confirm
>>
>>56229879
not really senpai, i started working before i got my degree
>>
>>56229940
before you were in uni or while you were uni?

it's way easier to get one if you are already enrolled
>>
>>56229964
Before, i did say i was planning to attend uni in the interview though
>>
>>56229879
yeah it's hard if you are shit. I guarantee if you have impressive personal projects and aren't totally autistic, you could probably easily land a development gig without a degree.
>>
>>56224717
this. i bet op is a pajeet
>>
>>56230032
india will be superpower by 2030
>>
>>56230149
and Brazil will have no corrupt politicians
>>
>>56224487
>Studying subfield of Mathematics
>Complains about Mathematics
>>
>>56224590
What's the point of computers if they aren't doing the math for you
>>
>>56230178
>subfield of Mathematics
No no no no, it is a subfield of Stack Overflow
>>
don't most csfags end up as codemonkeys?
>>
File: 1460932744013.jpg (49KB, 500x469px) Image search: [Google]
1460932744013.jpg
49KB, 500x469px
>>56230303
>confusing software development with computer science
>>
>>56226571
Mathematics isn't plural anymore, "Mathematic" is archaic and no longer used. Plural nouns have almost entirely been phased out in English.
>>
>>56224487
Graph algorithms to write CFG generator for disassembler
>>
>>56224867

Epic post fellow redditor
>>
>>56230429
Actually, we're using English++17, it has std::plural.
>>
>>56231013
I try
>>
Try to apply it to something, like game physics or geometry. Learning math for the sake of learning math is utterly useless.
>>
>>56231577
false
>>
>>56224487
I suck at programming, but i find it equally difficult to pass my discrete maths subject, still i love this subject more than my java or c++ subs .

I'd pass this subject a hundred times just to get a job.
>>
>>56231830

>I'd pass this subject a hundred times just to get a job.

Joke's on you! Some company is going to hire a poo in the loo just to save $20K a year and get shit tier code. You'll be lucky to be working help desk.

Also, fuck boomers. These faggots are always "lazy millenials! Get a job!" but don't see that millenials are very motivated and hard working. However, it's hard to get a job that supports a middle class life because scummy boomer fucks have exported all those jobs so they can get products for $5 cheaper.
>>
>>56232086
Jokes on you, i left the IT field and im in the top level of food industry.

Inb4 flipping burgers
>>
>>56232128

Wendy's? $300K? Dick how long?
>>
>>56231731
Nice well constructed counter-argument just as expected from a pure ( = worthless) math cuck.
>>
>>56232150
>fast food

No, im not American.
>>
>>56229733
Lol. Come to Estonia.
Students cut into 3. Dumb, normies and smartwatch guys.
Smartw
guys get 8 classes of math per week plus a bit of mathematical analysis and discrete math
>>
>>56232238
Fucking autocorrect.
Smart guys
>>
We used that book for our discrete 1/2 class at uni. The examples are needlessly over complicated in a lot of cases. My super asian teacher compiled his own notes based off the books material though (and im grateful)
>>
>>56232238
bullshit, i was in the "smart" group and all I had was like 4-5 math lessons a week, didn't do any discrete math either afaik.

it was a shitty gymnasium tho, maybe that's the reason.
>>
>>56232293
Do you even real gymnasium?
>>
>tfw uni classes start tomorrow and I'm working towards a cs degree
>>
>>56232314
ya
>>
>>56232349
It seems not.
Let me guess, you didn't even manage to to get to integrals, because your best group still had dumbasses in it
>>
>>56224487
Algorithms are pretty important. Shortest path, max flow/ min cut, Euler cycles, hypercubes, set theory, even basic logic, all have massive application.

You really can't write a useful program without some basic grasp of these types of concepts.

And even if you manage to without the kind of advanced algorithms learned in discrete, it will be optimized like shit and someone else who does know this shit will design a better alternative.

Tl;dr if you ever want to be more than a monkey and feel like you have an iota of purpose, you better know this shit.
>>
>>56232434
I did have integrals, those were easy...
>>
>>56232436
>like majority of dumb ass /g/ actually knows this

If not they wouldn't complain "muh job" or "muh pajeet took it". Like some fag above, this subject promotes effeciency in codes.
>>
>>56231830
How can you suck at programming and enjoy discrete? A lot of the course is going through algorithms in psuedocode...the only real application of discrete math is in programming..
>>
>>56224487
Sack up and deal with it. It's like any maths, if you study it will be a hell of a lot easier. You don't sound like the type to take the time though.

>whats the point of Discrete Maths
Good luck in your data structures/algorithms course without a good base in discrete maths.
>>
>>56224867
can you shot that image? or may be suck can replace Duck with Cucks>>56224598
>>
File: 1471955227033.jpg (254KB, 490x684px)
1471955227033.jpg
254KB, 490x684px
>>56232822
>>
>CS babbies can't even handle entry level math courses
>>
>>56232888
LMAO THANKS
>>
>>56232483
Anon...i have no idea. Maybe the way the code works differently in every language, maybe its because java isn't like c++ or c++ isn't like java, i ask myself the same question all the time.

Or maybe spending too much time asking myself the same question my interest got stale. I dunno.
>>
>>56224487
Yeah fuck that textbook, shit made me feel retarded.
>>
>>56224550
This
>>
>>56224487
Discrete was one of the easier courses I had to take. If it makes your head hurt, CS may not be for you.
>>
why do you need to be good at math to make video games?

thats fucking retarded. you dont need to be good at math to make good movies.

no wonder video games will never be as good
>>
>>56232888
xD
>>
>>56224717
Have fun getting hired.
>>
>>56225936
Its pretty fucking true what this guy said, to a degree anyway. Basically, your boss/company wants to produce a product that brings in the money, and you want the money to survive. This really dumb fundamental principle, for better or for worse, governs most things.
If there is something you love about programming, even if it is niche, I suggest you learn it first for yourself, and later on you may find some of it carries over into production, but this really isn't guaranteed.
>>
>>56229904
Linear algebra snuck up on me hard. I breezed through the first few chapters and put it on the lowest priority in my study routine. Then the second exam came and demolished me.
>>
For any nontrivial algorithms, it's an important thing to know.

I just worked on an NLP project where I had to use NFA's to model sentences because regular graph theory wasn't really the right tool for the job.
NLP, AI, compiler design, all these fields use these concepts a lot.

Of course, you could become a Pajeet-tier web developer without it.
>>
File: test (4).png (532KB, 602x699px) Image search: [Google]
test (4).png
532KB, 602x699px
>>56224487
>brainlets complaining about having to learning some basics of the absolute basic shit
I seriously cannot comprehend how your kind function.
>>
itt first week of college
>>
File: rosen.jpg (15KB, 323x399px) Image search: [Google]
rosen.jpg
15KB, 323x399px
If you want a good discrete maths, Rosen is pretty good. Anything algorithm related or problem solving is really interesting. Unless you want a brain dead job.
>>
File: tumblr_mq2nx8uTCG1so8ynro1_400.gif (1MB, 400x450px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mq2nx8uTCG1so8ynro1_400.gif
1MB, 400x450px
wow I hardly ever post but finished with 2 years of CS at a state university. Found Discrete maths 1-2 to be difficult as fuck but extremely enlightening and rewarding.

Solving recurrence relations (while difficult when it generates complex numbers) doesn't interest you in the implication that the same techniques can be used to optimize recurrence algorithms?

Understanding the Inclusion / Exclusion principle doesn't help you think about how complicated probability problems can be solved?

You weren't mind fucked in any of that part about countable vs uncountable sets and the idea of Aleph Numbers?

Graph theory isn't important? Doesn't seeing how hard it is to find graph isomorphic by hand show you how difficult it is for computers to do it either?

Even if the actual pen to paper math is difficult (and it is for a lot of people!) the concepts alone make it more than worth it. Why are you complaining?
>>
>>56224487
>it makes my head hurt
Discrete Maths is ridiculously easy compared to any other maths class

>Am I going to be a better codemonkey after I know this shit?
Yes, you might even be a programmer
>>
>>56224487
You're complaining about discreet math? Most of it is common sense, and just solidifies what you should already know about logic and programming.
>>
>>56240918
calculus, linear algebra and combinatorics are a fucking joke compared to discrete math mate
>>
>>56224657
This is because CS and programming are not mutually inclusive, and the former hires much, much less than the latter.

OP is absolutely right. He will not use this shit ever. He will write dead simple business logic in some IDE and chug coffee. And there's nothing wrong with that.

t. corporate code monkey
>>
>studying compsci

KEK, doesn't matter anyway, you're gonna wind up some pathetic minimum wage code monkey cuck anway, eventually being replaced by pajeet.
>>
>>56242150
If you're too stupid to understand discrete maths you shouldn't be in a university
>>
>>56232478
>mfw i understand this after learning progamming concepts for a month
>people on /g/ who have probably been here for ages still dont understand
>>
>>56224561
that is mostly scripting mate, and you don't need college for that shit
>>56224571
>>programming
you can laugh all you want, but until you touch 2 mill lines of code framework made in php, you have seen nothing but blog like sites
>>
>>56224536
>graph theory won't help you get a job
The fuck? You think Dijkstra and similar algorithms aren't common interview topics? You think that a lot of the back-end analytics work at tech companies doesn't require graph theory? What do you think they use Hadoop for?
>>
My discrete maths unit starts next semester. For the people who have done discrete maths, do you feel it increased your programming skill at all?
>>
who here actually got a solid math foundation from basic schooling?
>>
>>56224536
>pointless undergraduate linear algebra
are you serious m8?
>>
File: 1471108482634.jpg (224KB, 1607x617px)
1471108482634.jpg
224KB, 1607x617px
>discrete makes my head hurt

Take mathematical physics, thermal physics, and quantum and then get back to me. And then realize that all engineering majors at real schools are better programmers than you will ever be with your shitty liberal arts CS degree.

Groids these days and their meme desires for meme degrees.
>>
>>56224583
Get an it degree... its programming without the math.

How does no one know this already?
>>
>>56249330
They taught you math in school?
>>
>>56249521

no -- didn't know how to deal with fractions by high school
>>
>>56249509
Stockton doesn't have that
>>
>>56249489
Basically this.. If you don't have a solid understanding of mathematics and how to properly analyze systems you're going to lose ground to people willing to work much more cheaply than you. What they teach in most CS programs these days gets you "manual laborer" status in the tech world.

If you can't hack it in a basic CS program you might be better off saving your money and going straight to Starbucks.
>>
File: solve (4).png (556KB, 1400x788px) Image search: [Google]
solve (4).png
556KB, 1400x788px
>>56249489
It's funny when physicists think they know jack shit about mathematics when they wonder why their Hamiltonian isn't second quantizable and why their S-matrix elements aren't asymptotically summable.

The typical intro to quantum course is taught from Schrodinger's formalism of wavefunctions, which obfuscates the algebraic structure underlying quantum theories; the replacement of the Poisson bracket with the commutator wouldn't be justified until much later in the typical student's academic career. And when their second quantum course is taught from the Heisenberg's perspective they start freaking out: "hurr where did my C^inf go? why is there group theory in my quantum mechanics?" You have no fucking idea how many engineers and bottom-of-the-barrel physics majors complain about the tiny bit of abstract algebra they need for a spin-oriented approach to QM. Fucking shit I'm so fucking sick of it.

Also
>thermodynamics/stat mech
>using mathematics
Pick one lmao. All you need to know are calc 1 and how to count.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.