[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't Microcucks use a file system that is actually good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: defrag.png (12KB, 936x90px) Image search: [Google]
defrag.png
12KB, 936x90px
Like, a file system that doesn't need defragging? Is it because watching it defrag is fun?
>>
>>56224171
They rely on everyone having an SSD

But having a defrag running is comfy
>>
>>56224171
The only reason NTFS is still used is for legacy reason. Its a terrible filesystem, and its going to be standard until at least 2020.
>>
>>56224171
ext3, ext4, zfs, etc. superior.

Any linux distro basically.
>>
>>56224171
hfs+ doesn't have this problem :-)
>>
>>56224350
>hfs+
Even NTFS is better than that pos. At least NTFS doesn't corrupt itself 24/7.
>>
>>56224350
>mac
>gaynal

hmm
>>
>>56224321
Wasn't that terrible when it was devised.

It doesn't hold a candle to anything modern, and they barely understand how it works now, the NTFS code is a trashfire and the awful ReFS code is scaffolding on top of a trashfire.

They really could use a proper modern filesystem like HAMMER2, btrfs, ZFS or something - but unfortunately the last time they had a shot at that, in Longhorn, the project collapsed under its own weight so there's little appetite amongst the managers to give it another shot.

If they're going to improve it, I think it would have to come sideways, from MS Research. I can't see it at this point in Windows' lifecycle.
>>
File: wincuckdropdown.jpg (716KB, 1300x4704px) Image search: [Google]
wincuckdropdown.jpg
716KB, 1300x4704px
>>56224624
You mean, like the whole Windows code database?
>>
>>56224171
You really believe linux FSes don't need defragmenting? They just don't have the tools to defragment, but fragmentation is impossible to prevent unless you have infinite free space and infinitely-sized free block spans.

I don't hate linux, but that bit of progapanda was so annoying.
>>
>>56224624
>btrfs
When was the last time data corruption bug was addressed in btrfs?
>TFW this spring (or was that summer already)

When was the last time data corruption bug was addressed in NTFS?
>>
>>56226333
kys
>>
>>56224370

At least apple is aware and will migrate to a new filesystem in 2017.
>>
>>56226333

It takes longer.

One of my hdd is practically full, though. I should probably defrag it. It's just a simple hdd transfer to do.
>>
It's not NTFS, it's MS's block allocation in their own NTFS driver

Windows sucking at its native file system is kind of like the linux OS still emulating a hunk of hardware from the 1970s for its primary interface (in-kernel console driver lol)

Gotta keep the old shittiness around, or people might forget which OS they're using. Windows without defragmenting? Impossible.

>>56226449
And they still won't support more than the bare minimum needed to be compatible with windows
>>
>If you fill a ZFS volume to more then 90% capacity it's performance will go to shit permanently and there is no way to defrag or otherwise fix it, even if you delete data.

ENTERPRISE QUALITY
>>
>>56224171
using microsoft software is like going to a 1990s theme party
>>
>>56224171
microsoft is AOL
>>
>>56224650
its like the game 'pick up sticks'
they can't move in it
if they nudge anything, the whole lot collapses
also why they can't fix anything / redesign it / improve it
they're in the middle of this carefully balanced maze created by dead people & there's no documentation
>>
>>56224321
Sorry Anon, but because of UEFI it’s gonna be standard forever.
>>
>>56227278
forever is not "until microsoft dies"
>>
>>56226333
Even though there are tools to do so, you don't really need to defragment filesystems like Ext4. It's designed so that it doesn't become an issue.
>>
>>56227306
yeah, 'it's designed'
>>
>>56224171
>the bad file system meme
what's wrong with ntfs? and don't start with stupid shit like naming your files and folders using 1000 characters
>>
>>56227306
microshit programmers are still in their baby playpen, invented ~ 1992
>>
>>56227170
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>56227325
Son, what did I tell you about using useless quotes!
>>
>>56227325
What's your point?
>>
File: 1431291202384.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1431291202384.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>Is it because watching it defrag is fun?

YES YES YES YES
>>
>>56227754

Guilty of watching the bars move when I was younger.
>>
Fragmentation doesn't matter if you have an SSD

Considering the 1 tb ssds are 210 dollars now it makes sense to go full SSD
>>
>>56228186
Fragmentation doesn't matter if you don't have a SSD either. Because Windows automatically defrags without you even knowing about it.
>>
>>56228386
this. In all the years I've used win-cick software I only needed to Defrag once.

There are other reasons to hate windows.
(Like having 2 control panels now, and mandatory botnet, etc.)
>>
ext4 master race
>>
>WinFS
>file system based on relational databases
It was the best fucking idea ever. What the fuck, Microsoft?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.