[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/'s favorite Linux distro (aside from Gentoo)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

File: images.jpg (5KB, 188x241px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 188x241px
Good day /g/ents! I'm looking to move away from Arch because I'm an idiot who keeps tinkering with Arch instead of doing work. Gentoo and BSD (I know it's not Linux; fuck off) are out because I have sex with girls and I'm not interested in being a quee...different. So, what does /g/ recommend?
>>
>>56224025
Arch
>>
>>56224025
Xubuntu
>>
Arch
>>
Ubuntu, because it just werks so you can focus on other things then ricing your desktop.
>>
>...I have sex with girls...

i remember when posters used to be banned because of this
>>
>>56224060
You're totally using Gentoo
>>
>>56224060
why? Is lying frowned upon in /g/?
>>
>>56224025
I hear good things about Windows 10.
Its for people who have sex!
>>
Arch
>>
>>56224025
xubuntu
>>
>>56224025
Solus is nice
>>
Glad you asked, this is the official ongoing /g/ survey of distros

http://www.strawpoll.me/10990789

You can see Ubuntu beating the shit out of everything else
>>
>>56224025
Fedora. Bleeding edge but very standard.
>>
>>56224025
If you hate debian, use Fedora.
If you're okay with debian, use Ubuntu-Mate.
Personally, as I'm making a living out of making games, I need to have a fucking windows 10 install at all times, but I check how linux is doing from time to time. And Sweet Jebus Christ, Mint has gone to shit, Ubuntu is full retard cause of unity, and all other distros are almost non-existent. Ubuntu-Mate on the other part, feels like a decent operating system cause I don't need to fix it every fucking 3 minutes AND it's not trying to sell my soul to Amazon or any other shit.
>>
>>56224025
                                  _,met$$$$$gg.
,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.
,g$$P"" """Y$$.".
,$$P' `$$$.
',$$P ,ggs. `$$b:
`d$$' ,$P"' . $$$
$$P d$' , $$P
$$: $$. - ,d$$'
$$; Y$b._ _,d$P'
Y$$. `.`"Y$$$$P"'
`$$b "-.__
`Y$$b
`Y$$.
`$$b.
`Y$$b.
`"Y$b._
`""""

_, _, ,'`.
`$$' `$$' `. ,'
$$ $$ `'
$$ $$ _, _
,d$$$g$$ ,d$$$b. $$,d$$$b.`$$' g$$$$$b.`$$,d$$b.
,$P' `$$ ,$P' `Y$. $$$' `$$ $$ "' `$$ $$$' `$$
$$' $$ $$' `$$ $$' $$ $$ ,ggggg$$ $$' $$
$$ $$ $$ggggg$$ $$ $$ $$ ,$P" $$ $$ $$
$$ ,$$ $$. $$ ,$P $$ $$' ,$$ $$ $$
`$g. ,$$$ `$$._ _., $$ _,g$P' $$ `$b. ,$$$ $$ $$
`Y$$P'$$. `Y$$$$P',$$$$P"' ,$$. `Y$$P'$$.$$. ,$$.
>>
>>56224025
Windows Vista :3
>>
File: 16 - 1.jpg (76KB, 310x930px) Image search: [Google]
16 - 1.jpg
76KB, 310x930px
>>56224025
Opensuse
>>
>>56224025
Debian.
It just werks, and it doesn't change.
It's boring as fuck, but that's exactly what you want in an OS.
>>
File: Arch.jpg (272KB, 3000x1246px) Image search: [Google]
Arch.jpg
272KB, 3000x1246px
>>56224043
>>56224048
>>56224097
>>
>>56224060

Accept it, when people get money they inevitably get pussy because girls love successful guys.

t. Khv
>>
>>56224280
>>56224251
I must agree that debian is a very good "keep-at-home-or-at-small-company" server system, but why on earth would I use that as a daily driver? It's like puting a public toilet cabin inside your house.
>>
>>56224025
Use Devuan OP, you don't need anything else.
>>
>>56224025
It's never time to not gentoo
>>
>>56224025
Arch
>>
>Arch
>Has sex with girls???
>>
>>56224324
>Why on earth would I use that as a daily driver?
Stable isn't older than Ubuntu LTS, but more carefully put together and maintained.
Testing is a very usable semi-rolling release system.
Unstable is similar to Arch, except it has a much bigger official repository, less toxic community, and established procedures that keep Devs from literally doing whatever the hell they feel like at the moment.
>>
>>56224324
Because it's stable, even the testing branch (which is what you probably want for a desktop). Install, configure to you liking and it will fucking stay that way forever so that you can concentrate on getting shit done as opposed to wasting time on constant maintenance.
>>
>>56224025
>Arch
Non-free
>>56224025
>Gentoo
Non-free
>>56224043
>Arch
Non-free
>>56224046
>Xubuntu
Non-free
>>56224048
>Arch
Non-free
>>56224054
>Ubuntu
Non-free
>>56224097
>Arch
Non-free
>>56224109
>xubuntu
Non-free
>>
>>56224450
/thread
>>
>>56224450
How does offering a choice between free and non-free software make a distro less free than forcing users to use free software?
>>
>>56224450
>freetards
>>
>>56224478
The official live CDs of all these distributions contain non-free code. The unsuspecting user is entrapped into running freedom-subjugating software.
>>
ubuntu

respects your time
used by businesses for a reason
not a timesink shit
/g/ hates it because it's mainstream and too easy/good
>>
>>56224450
Arch has an FSF-approved version, called parabola.
>>
>>56224317

Nope, girls only care about three things: HEIGHT, FACE, FRAME!
>>
SalixOS
>>
>>56224568
Oh deary me, I suddenly feel oppressed.
>>
Undoubtedly, Gentoo
>>
>>56224568
simply
>>
File: 1471512800532.png (23KB, 194x177px) Image search: [Google]
1471512800532.png
23KB, 194x177px
>>56224025
>Mandrake 5.1
>Slackware 6.0
>Mint 12
fuck my shit up
>>
if you like the debian family, use debian testing/unstable (I always forget the distinction) or debian stable (on servers) or ubuntu or an ubuntu derivative

if you like the rhel family, fedora for workstations and centos for servers

if you like neither of those, and gentoo is out of the question, then opensuse is an okay pick

slackware is also a pretty good distro as far as learning how everything works akin to arch or gentoo, but it might not be the best option if you find yourself tinkering often and want something that just weks (but if you set slackware up nicely it will just werk)

>>56224147

I like how fedora is beating all of the bsds combined despite every reddit tier faggot on this board shuddering at the thought of having to tell people the name of the distro they use

>>56224430
>>56224448

the problem with the stable branch is it's sometimes necessary to have fairly recent software and it's always nice to get it through the package manager as opposed to installing it yourself, although it might be easier to do this on debian than something like centos - I can't say

>>56224450

trisquel or parabola(which is basically arch which is not what OP wants) then you faggot

>>56224478

the fsf criteria for free distributions is a bit silly, it doesn't even allow official documentation for installing non-free software and I suspect this extends to devs offering advice in mailing lists

I get why something like fedora might not be on the list (completely free barring standard kernel which may load non-free firmware) however something like debian which is completely free in stock is also not on the list because it has non-free stuff in repos

it seems the point they're trying to make is users that want a free distro shouldn't use something like debian because they might accidentally install something non-free, but then these users who want something free are probably smart enough to figure it out on their own and make what they want free
>>
Trisquel.
I used to swear by it until I had to switch OS.
>>
>>56224575
No, it's hated because it has/had Amazon shit in it.
If you don't know this you shouldn't post here.
>>
>>56224450
>year of our lord 2016
>using stallshit's ass-kissing muh freedums distros

You know the only reason Gentoo isn't on that list is because they won't lick Stallman's ballsack and call it "Gentoo GNU/Stallman/FSF/EMACS/GCC/Linux-libre" right? RMS is just a fucking narcissist who can't stand that someone was more successful than he was.
>>
>>56224025
try openSUSE Leap or if you ik to have lates packages install Tumbleweed. Best arguement for ist he dank lizard!
>>
>>56224913
>aside from Gentoo
>>
>>56224302
>>56224575
>>56224147
And this is what you get in return

https://youtu.be/NysoCN9RR_c
>>
>>56224025
Mint...just works and I'm a pleb
>>
>>56224456
it's actually not at all related to the thread
>>
>>56224025
Arch
>>
>>56224025
I would suggest you try out Korora.
>>
>>56225552
OP was bad so the thread can be finished with a bad reply.
>>
>>56224324
You came from a toilet distro, so you should feel right at home.
>>
I am on Arch because of comfy AUR and community

but guilty pleasure favorite is openSUSE
>>
Slackware because muh nostalgia.

Arch because muh circle jerk.

Mint because muh "just werks".
>>
BunsenLabs

Everyone else in this thread is wrong. Plain wrong.
>>
>>56224025
I like Ubuntu 16.04. Easy to install & maintain (especially if you're coming from Arch), and also well supported. I like the way it is.
>>
>>56224025
Debian testing netinstall, in the install only select "core system utilities", don't select debian desktop environment or LXDE, GNOME, etc.

Now, you have a minimal debian install, upgrade to testing if you haven't (you don't have to do this if you installed from a testing iso). Next step is to install a window manager, rice it, rice firefox and all your programs. Now make your own GTK and QT theme and post in all the desktop threads,
>>
File: 1463340278260.gif (451KB, 317x200px) Image search: [Google]
1463340278260.gif
451KB, 317x200px
>>56224025
>Arch is too much tinkering
>Considering Gentoo or BSD.
>>
>>56228390
>Reading comprehension
>>
>>56228390
>not being capable of understanding shit
SUICIDE MAY BE AN OPTION
>>
>>56224324
>why on earth would I use that as a daily driver
Because you are an adult and you want a reliable OS that doesn't break every week, doesn't download a metric shitton of updates every week and the biannual supposedly "stable" release doesn't take 6 months to stabilize only to be replaced by the next "stable" release.

Because you are not a victim of the latest fad and fashion and you have outgrown the desire to be on the "bleeding edge". You are confident and you don't need the bragging rights of running the latest packages to boost your self esteem.

Because you are not afraid to download the source from upstream, make your modifications, compile and contribute you changes back to upstream
>>
>>56225031
>the problem with the stable branch is it's sometimes necessary to have fairly recent software and it's always nice to get it through the package manager as opposed to installing it yourself, although it might be easier to do this on debian than something like centos - I can't say
Debian Backports solves the issue for some software.
http://backports.debian.org/

Other than that there's "testing" and "unstable".
>>
OP here. Thanks guys. I guess I'll give Ubuntu a shot.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.