[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is PC kill?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

> Power on PC
> starts then turns off after 2 seconds
> It tries to turn itself on
> after 2 seconds if turns off again
> Repeat until I power it down

HELP /g/ please!

I replaced the power supply and I took out ram (used only one and swapped the seating), graphics card, CMOS battery and it still does this. Does anyone have know what is happening with my machine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7FSKiNibqg
>>
you did good so far (better than most on here anyway) with your troubleshooting

make sure none of the solder points on the MB are making contact with the case. sometimes MBs warp or flex over time.
>>
I mean, it could be literally any component causing this.
>>
shit - looking through the case, I kind of see a slight flex to it... What should I do? I'll give that a look. Wouldn't it shock/zap me if this was the case on startup?

>>56218574
>I mean, it could be literally any component causing this.
I thought I tried removing things one by one to attempt to start it up, but im going to try examining the case and the mobo.
>>
Remove your sound card
Reseat your CPU
Get different RAM and try that
>>
>>56218495
le 2009 maymays
>>
>>56218571
>>56218574
>>56218639

I should add that I kept the machine "powered" on while I stared at it investigating wtf was happening, and it spontaneously sustains a charge for about 30 seconds (as opposed to the 2 seconds in the video), before it dies again and repeats the start up and turn off behaviour.. :(
>>
>>56218612
>looking through the case, I kind of see a slight flex to it

you are fucked dude. hope it's just the case and not the mobo too.
>>
OP here -
More backstory - I can home from work one day and found it doing this. No idea why.
>>
there is some kind of shorting, check motherboard standoffs
>>
>>56218495
I thought you were going to tell us a joke/story thread by the way you started those first few lines. Let me finish that for you

> Power on PC
> starts then turns off after 2 seconds
> It tries to turn itself on
> after 2 seconds if turns off again
>THEFUCK.s
>instantly flock over to google just to get the top super user/stack overflow link.
>Don't read a single line of the question
>Spot the words "Power supply"
>Run out to storee
>find the least socially inept electronics sales associate to bother
>"Hello, I need to buy a new power supply", I said formal and polite
>27-year old socially inepted man stammers for 10 minutes straight like hinata from naruto
>t-this p-p-power supply h-has t-t-10 cores of....
>who gives a shit, I couldn't take another minute
>grab the nearest power surge protector
>"T-that w-w-won't w-wor..."
>He doesn't know what he's talking about
>buy
>leave
>at home about to install the fix
>Realize something
>My computer is missing
>got robbed while out at store
>flock over to /g/
thread ensues
>>
>>56219188
P.S.
>*typing
>grrrrr botnet stole my data again
>Shill-be-bop doop-muh-coup STALLMEN WUZ RIGHT
>>
>>56218495
You probably missed a mobo standoff.
>>
>>56219188
8/10.
>>
Could it be that the power switch on the case is fucked? A friend had the same symptoms and that was the issue. Try shorting the pwr switch yourself and see if that works.
>>
>>56219365
The power switch on the PSU or the power button on the board?
>>
>>56219365
On the front of the case?
>>
>>56219380
Power button on the case. Sometimes they fail and get stuck, which causes the on/off cycle.
>>
>>56219419
I have had this, took me hours before i figured it out.
Very annoying because it's not one of the things you expect to fail.
>>
>>56219419
>>56219568
Im in here now, but I have no idea what I'm looking for :/
>>
>>56218495
Motherboard or CPU is killed.

Something probably shorted, buy new mobo same socket at microcenter, still dosent work then buy new CPU
>>
File: P8yzdUe.jpg (785KB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
P8yzdUe.jpg
785KB, 3104x1746px
>>56219648
The power button on the case connects to your motherboard, you should be able to locate the cable for it. Easiest way is to connect the reset button (the small one on the case) to the power connector and use the reset button to turn on the PC. Alternatively, push the button as you normally would do to turn the PC on, and unplug the cable from the mother board right away, before it turns off. If in any of these cases the computer stays on, the power button is faulty.

The switch and cables are normally labeled as pwr or power sw, but you can check your motherboard manual for the exact location. It's a couple of tiny wires, pic related.
>>
>>56219808
ahhhh ok., I did just that.

Something interesting happened.. I turned it on JUST as I ripped the power SW cord out andthe power sustains for now anyway, but the power sw is unplugged and so is my graphics card? How do I hack this together?
>>
>>56219808
and now its back to short 2 second bursts.. stayed on for about 1 minute or longer :(
>>
>>56218495
Did you try turning it off and on again?
>>
>>56220134

Its your thermal compound. Youve either got too much or not enough. Or youve got your heatsink on too tight.
>>
>>56220191
Thanks for the hint. I'm going to loosen the heatsink up, but why would this be the issue.
>>
>>56219188
9/10
>>
looks like a power issue, yeah.

Almost as though a most rudimentary boot is causing a failure the same way an overclock too high would
>>
>>56220228
I don't know. Whenever I have the problem as you describe thats always the solution. That or maybe ram not seated fully.
>>
Status Update:

Removed Heatsink - cleaned off Thermal paste, reapplied it. also removed CPU, reseated it as well.. still nothing.

System specs (this should have more than enough power going to it):

> GeForce GTX 980
> i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz
> Storage: Corsair Force LX SSD 256GB
> Storage: Kingston 128GB SSD
> Storage: Western Digital 2TB HD
> Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
> CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2x) DDR3 1600
> Corsair CX 850
>>
>>56219188
9/10 laughed at ending
>>
>>56220450
Power on, power off immediately has nothing to do with CPU. It's some protection kicking in.
If CPU is fucked, the PC will fail to boot and motherboard will scream error codes at you while showing a black screen.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.