[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do YOU use Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 10

File: download (4).jpg (6KB, 207x244px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
6KB, 207x244px
Why do YOU use Linux?
>>
>>56206894
Server usage and because it's free as in freedom.
>>
Because my time is too valuable to wait for windows updates to complete.
>>
>>56206894
Because I am tech literate, and tech literate people are supposed to use Linux.
>>
>>56206894
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>56206894
Sftp file server, torrentbox, virtualbox host, Office tasks
>>
>>56206894
It's fast.
>>
>>56206894
I'm a financial advisor and a tax accountant, if I am able to manage using Linux, pretty sure the rest of /g/ will have no problem with Libre Office and WINE
>>
>No "recommended" updates or settings that serve someone else's interest.
>Advanced settings may be behind a level of friendly GUI tools, but they're not actively hidden away.
>The developers try to build the best system they can, not the most profitable one.
>The release/update schedule is transparent, consistent and reliable.
I don't have to install all my programs from third party websites, update them seperately and disallow all of them from installing additional stuff I don't want, but which they want on my PC.
>It runs old Windows games better than current Windows does
>>
>>56206939
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just.Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>56206962
For the record, I mentioned WINE only because I use Minitab with it.
>>
I got fed up with Windows after 10 got released. So I decided to take on the freetard life and I haven't looked back since then.
>>
>>56206894
1. Freedom of choice: I get to choose how to customize my system instead of being forced to stay within the limits given to me by Microsoft. If I don't like something, there are at least 10 alternatives I can choose from.

2. Full disclosure: I can look up what exactly a component is doing instead of having to go by faith. Linux also doesn't try to hide its error messages (at least if you're a terminal user), which makes it a lot easier to know what your PC is doing and why, as well as figuring out why something went wrong.

3. Compatibility: I get to run all POSIX tools, compile software, etc.; without having to jump through all the hoops I had to under windows. Linux is compatible with the rest of the world, Windows was deliberately made as incompatible as possible.

4. Automation: Everything software is managed through my package manager, I don't have to run 50 billion “update clients” or manually check for updates. It's trivial to install cronjobs or timers for whatever task I need done regularly.

5. Security: The many-eyes principle, the fact that I get all of my software through distro packages, the fact that I use software written by enthusiastic hobbyists instead of big corporations and the fact that virtually all clickbait trojans are aimed towards dumb Windows users make me basically immune in combination.

6. It's simply comfy as hell. I've gotten so used to the command line and tiling window managers that it's the only way I enjoy working. Everything else feels slow and sluggish. I've come to love the fact that I can customize the appearance and behavior of everything until it matches my tastes.

7. I can contribute. I'm a developer, why should I be sitting around desperately waiting for upstream to start giving a rat's arse about my problem? I can patch software myself, I can submit those patches upstream, and my bug reports actually matter.

Probably more I'm forgetting.
>>
>>56206894
Basically because of Bash, Vim and tiling windows manager.
>>
>>56206894
To run a simple, cli ubuntu server to perform simple server functions such as a local file server, minecraft server and a mumble server. Its small, quick and has none of the unnecessary software and functions that come with ie windows
>>
>>56206894
debian
installed it because of muh freedom
kept it because of ricing
everything is a chore, but i can't go back to windows anymore
>>
File: freebsd.jpg (92KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.jpg
92KB, 1366x768px
I don't because I'm not a complete retard.
>>
I couldn't afford a Mac or a Windows licence.
>>
Because it's not Windows.
>>
>>56206894
I'm forced to. I usually don't.
>>
>>56206894
Windows too slow
>>
>>56206894

Had to stop being a Windows fuck slave. It was taking all my time just trying to figure out what new fuckery microsoft was going to probe my anus with every single fucking week.

Is linux better? Yeah. Amazingly better? Not really.

But all the rage at getting raped by microsoft every single fucking minute I was using Windows is now gone. It's been replaced by annoyances and occasional rage, but the rage can be directed into productive channels now to improve my daily working & productivity environment, instead of that helpless rage if getting fucked over at random and losing between 2 and 8 hours accomplishing nothing much of anything with the next fucking coming along in 4 .... 3 ..... 2 .......
>>
i installed poobuntu yesterday and my pc broke. not even booting and shit
ive had this pc for like 12 years now and 0 problems until i tried linux
fuck you g fuck you linux fuck you everyone
>>
>>56207150
wtf i hate linux now
>>
So I can brag about it on /g/
>>
>>56207150
wtf I hate /g/ now
>>
>>56206894
It works
>>
>>56206894

TIME

after discovering linux live sticks i am appalled at the amount of skullfuckery with drivers etc it takes to get windows up an running these days.

>Linux installed in 10 minutes + browser and plugins
>Windows 7 installed in 40 minutes. Hours to update. Days of fucking round to find that fucking touchpad hotkey volume and graphics........diver. Windows 10 was worse.
>>
>>56207208
> discovering linux live sticks

Drop a link on me, baby. What would be the one best website to get started? I've got about 10 flash drives doing nothing useful, mostly 16 GB and a couple 32 GB, about half USB 3.

Want me a pocketfull of linux.
>>
>>56206978
don't know if this is just another copypasta but it's pure gold
>>
>>56207311
SystemRescueCd is the best liveUSB
>>
Customization.
If I can't control my windows with thought faster than I can process information, it's frustrating for me.
Package managers.
Brew is alright, but I need the hardcore shit. If I have to waste time at work because I needed one extra flag on a compilation or I need to install a small script without a package on Brew or whatever Windows has these days, that's frustrating.

I get it if Linux is shit for you, but personally I need it.
>>
>>56206894
Can't afford a Mac and can't stand the Windows font rendering.
>>
>>56206894
The Windows 10 privacy debacle made me switch.
The comfy made me stay.
>>
File: Karl_Ziktor.png (267KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Karl_Ziktor.png
267KB, 640x480px
>>56206894
Because I got tired of things changing, just for the sake of changing. All this eye candy junk is just distracting and slows my unit down.

Also I like to know what is going on and even better have control over my stuff.

When people started telling me I couldn't use my hardware, just because it was 8 years old. It still works, I understand the lack of new support options that only come with new hardware, but why does that mean the old options stop as well?

At the time I was playing with Linux on a 18 year old unit, as my friends suggested it. Later when all the updates and stuff went bad, I just loaded Linux on the newer unit and in 6 hours of editing it was running better then it ever had. And looking back I wonder, why didn't I do this sooner.

>In short I am a super villain that craves power, and Linux provides it.
>>
i don't play games anymore so i really no use for windows, xubuntu runs better than any windows i've used. should've switched years ago tBh
>>
>my university demands all students to use Linux.
>>
Unix-y stuff. I would use OSX, but I'm a poorfag.
>>
>>56206894
"it just werks"
>>
It has a better CLI and I prefer a minimal GUI.

Powershell tab completion is shit.
>>
>>56206894
Because at this point it's just simpler. I've never used 8 or 10. I used 7 but it just seemed last like a meh version of winxp. I didn't like 8 and I don't like the 10 million features I don't use in 10. At this point as long as you have enough sense to get supported hardware openbsd/arch is the way to go. At least with Unix os's if something breaks I know I can fix it. If something broke for me on win 10 I wouldn't even know where to look to fix it . Not that it would take long to find out.

As for games I have a console for that, and Bethesda is adding console mod support so literally the only reason to use Windows has just died completely and totally .
>>
I stopped playing games and I am not found of giving a company so much control over my life
>>
>>56206894
Because I like to tinker and Linux gives more control.
>>
I prefer it to Windows and OSX.
>>
>>56207105
This is all pretty terrible. Especially the edgy kid posting this terrible ricejob
>>
>>56206894

Two words:
Free stuff.
>>
Because GNOME 3 is the best DE and Linux runs better than any other OS.
>>
>>56209975
Gnome is shit.
>>
>>56207105
>3DPD on wallpaper
>unironically using Firefox
>cuck-licensed kernel
You're bait.
>>
>>56206894
Becuase it's gratis.
>>
>>56206894
Because I don't like Windows and don't have $2000 just laying around to buy a Mac
>>
File: 1397473296727.png (71KB, 592x554px) Image search: [Google]
1397473296727.png
71KB, 592x554px
>>56206894
It respects my freebums.
>>
>>56206894
It's perfect for server usage. Highly configurable and stable, which means that once you've got it doing what you want, you pretty much never have to touch it again and it will remain rock solid.

I'd dual boot on my desktop too, but
>nouveau: unknown chipset
Guess I'm waiting for new stable versions of distros to come out
>>
>>56206894
Well, I use Linux now because it has given me Lubuntu and Lubuntu works great on shitty laptops.

Plus it is free. I don't care about the open sourced aspect too much but I do care about the price. It has no price.
>>
Because I use software for work whose support for Windows is minimal and buggy.

Still boot into Windows from time to time to play games.
>>
ho sale pd de où tu dis ça toi linux c dla daube goodbye
>>

▲▲
>>
1. lets me change everything such as my init system (I use runit instead of systemd or gentoo's default OpenRC), it lets me change the look, it lets me change my TLS implementation, it lets me choose ffmpeg over libav, my system shell, etc

- ~5 second boot on a hdd (I have a dual boot, and windows takes near a minute even with useless services disabled) :)
- Lets me go keyboard only (doesn't force you to use the mouse)
- CLI is soooo much faster than GUI.
- It doesn't cost me anything.
- Security (Gentoo hardened)
- I can automate everything
- Shell scripting is very easy.
- You can interact with the kernel with /proc /sys (helpful sometimes)
>>
>>56206894
>It's free
>It's easy to develop on
>It's extremely customizable
>It's lightweight
>It has a great hypervisor built in
>It has time-tested software raid and storage tiering (I'm not referring to ZFS)
>It's not a Microsoft product
>It's not farming the shit out of my information
>>
>>56206894
convenience, but of a different kind to the convenience windows offers
>>
It is stable, very customizable, I can do what I did on Windows.
>>
File: downloadfile-4.jpg (12KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile-4.jpg
12KB, 226x223px
>>56206894
I have freedom, it's faster, it doesn't spy on me, customization, real security and because I dont have enough money to buy a copy of Windows or a macbook, and I'm not pirating my OS because that's the single dumbest thing to ever fucking do, have fun with your hidden extra backdoors and malware
>>
>>56206894
I like how unlikely I am to get a job due to my lack of knowledge of windows or osx
>>
>>56206894
Fast and C++
>>
>>56206894
Because on the 7 years i have been using it has crashed literally only a few times. And those times where all in the same month and a HDD fault, it finally died and bought a new one.
No crashes since then.
It just werks, the disadvantage is that there's less software compared to ms-5-crashes-per-hour-windows
>>
>>56206894
My laptop stopped working, could not get anything running. Somehow I've managed to install ubuntu on it, even if I am tecnologically retarded. Now it werks.
>>
>>56206894
all my tools are made for linux, and linux offers lots and lots of good, free (as in gratis and $0) software
>>
>>56211902
actually you will probably need to purchase a flash drive or CD or DVD (if you are a cuck)
>>
Because it's the only OS that supports my SBC

>>56206939
Maximum autism.
>>
>>56206939
haha wow

are you serious?
>>
>>56206894
Tried it despite the command line
Stayed because of it
>>
File: free as freedom.jpg (128KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
free as freedom.jpg
128KB, 499x499px
>>56206939
>>
>>56212366
>>56212415
newfag much?
>>
File: yui castanettes.gif (471KB, 260x210px) Image search: [Google]
yui castanettes.gif
471KB, 260x210px
>>56206894
So I can watch anime.
>>
'cuz I'm paranoid
>>
>>56212366
>>56212415
I want everyone who was born after the Gnu/Linux naming controversy to leave.
>>
>>56212485
I'm well aware that it's copypasta, that doesn't make it any less autistic to spam the shitpost in every possible thread.

>>56212521
Good thing I can stay then.
>>
>>56212340
been using linux for 10+ years, I see no need to use linux on flash drives
also, t-b-h, there are a lot more reasons for me to use linux
>>
Because Ubuntu just works and looks good.
>>
I hate Micropajeet.
>>
>>56206894
My operating system requires a kernel and most of its distributions don't give me a choice to install anything but Linux.
>>
Ironically enough, software compatibility was what originally brought me to Linux (yes Richard, it's just Linux). I was taking a robotics class in high school, and I heard about a piece of software called the Gazebo simulation suite which could help my designs a lot. Turns out it was Linux only. So I set up a VM Ubuntu... and realized that a VM would never have the performance I needed to run complex simulations. I set up a dual boot, and after experiencing Linux in its full glory, never went back.
>>
>>56213689
Why would that be ironic?
>>
I don't, but when support ends for Windows 7 I won't have a choice.
>>
>>56206894
I use Linux because its
>Free
>I can modify it to look, work, and feel, exactly how I want it
>>
it's fun
>>
>>56206894
Because I very rarely game.

And because im really lazy.
I got really really lax on updates for windows 7, because you had to check each and every one of them for windows 10. I was running really outdated, and it takes FOREVER to update.

Im not actually worried about getting malware on linux, even if I do run outdated. Also updating is fucking trivial using the apt-get command.
Its beautiful
>>
>>56206894
> free as in freedom (and free beer)
> easy to use
> easy to install
> lightweight on drive space and resources
> fast
> more control
>>
File: 137835-tux-kzkggaara_collection.jpg (593KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
137835-tux-kzkggaara_collection.jpg
593KB, 1920x1200px
>>56206894

Used UNIX before Microsoft during student years. It was natural to move to Linux. I tried a few Microsoft Windows varities, never again.

Haven't looked back since, 100% Linux user.
>>
>>56207150
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>56206894
none of your damn business :^)
>>
>>56213702
Because Windows is used by over 75% of PC users and thus software developers target Windows machines more, whereas only 2% of computers run linux.
>>
>>56206894
vim keybinds for everything
>>
>>56210127
>>56209273
>>56207382
Subtle, mac shills, real subtle.
>>
>>56206894
Fedora is more comfy than Windows or OSX.
>>
>>56214070
I guess we live in different universes, anon - in my world Linux is the dominant majority and almost everything is written primarily for it (with Windows support often being an afterthought).

Linux is also compatible with POSIX, Unix etc. programs from the past, whereas Microsoft deliberately designed Windows to be incompatible with the rest of the world.

OS X, Linux, BSD, Solaris etc. are all significantly more compatible with each other than Windows is with anything else, so it doesn't surprise me at all that a given piece of software will, on average, be compatible with Linux much more often than with Windows
>>
>>56214134
The font rendering is terrible though.
>>
Because windows is a time waste for my job. I'm a sysadmin and a C developer so most of my time is spent in a terminal anyways, it just makes life easier.
>>
>>56214066
OpenBSD is for you.
>>
>>56214187
>denying that most programs are primarily designed for Windows
>OS X is somehow compatible with anything
Apple is more shut in than Microsoft what are you talking about? I use linux too but I'm not delusional.
>>
>>56214240
>denying that most programs are primarily designed for Windows
I'm not trying to deny anything, I'm telling you how it is.

Go through github projects and tell me how many are designed to be built on Linux vs how many are designed to be built on Windows
>>
>>56206894
I like being able to control my system fully. I like learning more about my computer and how it works. I also like working in a terminal because it makes me feel like le badass hacker.
>>
>>56214240
>most programs are primarily designed for Windows

This is utterly false. There are pretty much only 3 major programs that lock people into Windows professionally (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), plus some shitty printer/scanner drivers, and Adobe/CAD software for Win/OSX.
>>
Boots fast, upgrades fast, terminal is fun, installing programs is fast, community is decent.
>>
>>56206894
Because Gentoo uses Linux kernel.
>>
>>56206894
Because I like it
>>
>>56214398
Seems like the overwhelming reason Windows is used now a days is muh games.
>>
>>56214480
Gentoo can also use the BSD kernel
>>
>>56214240
>>56214315
Really stupid/naive approximation

https://github.com/search?q=linux&type=Code
>370,445,732 results

https://github.com/search?q=windows&type=Code
>91,099,720 results

And those 91m results also include other usages of the word “window”, which is very common especially in GUI programs.

If that doesn't speak bounds, I don't know what will.
>>
>>56214551
>github
>>
When it comes to laptops, the wireless drivers on linux seem to work far more efficiently. You get a lot stronger single and more range. Unfortunately anything adobe related makes Firefox run incredibly sluggish.
>>
>>56214593
Feel free to name another big repository of software

Want to do the same thing on googlecode? gitlab?
>>
i feel like a h4ck3rz and windows was slow on my netbook
>>
>>56214551
https://alternativeto.net/platform/linux/
>There are a total of 10217 apps listed
https://alternativeto.net/platform/windows/
>There are a total of 22391 apps listed
have in mind that many, many linux programs can and are compiled for windows, too.
>>
>>56214617
If you think amateur shitcode and abandonware is somehow serious software then you're an idiot.
>>
>>56214911
Right; how many of those “windows” programs are linux programs with a windows port bolted on?

My point is that linux is usually the first/“primary” target, with windows ports being added on.
>>
>>56207311
Google -> Porteus

Try it! You gonna love it
>>
>>56214973
Virtually every single piece of software I've touched in the last 5 years either have their source code on github or are mirrored on github

But like I said, maybe we just live in different universes. I primarily come in contact with other people via IRC and work (I work as a linux administrator at a company where about 90% of the servers run linux)
>>
>>56206894
because i have no life
>>
>>56206894
I have complete control over the entire OS and Kernel. I used Debian so it's rock solid and secure. Unless you're a complete idiot or you're being targeted directly, you really don't have to worry about antivirus tools or anything like that. It just works.
>>
File: winshit.jpg (66KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
winshit.jpg
66KB, 640x640px
>>
>>56206894
I am not pajeet.
>>
>>56214502
It's the ONLY I use windows these days.
>>
>>56206894
I prefer it on my laptop over Windows as I find I tend to get better performance. Once I save enough money to build a desktop though, I'll have WIndows on that. I might dual boot though, I don't know yet.
>>
>>56206894
I'm used to it after 4 years. Windows frustrates me by doing shit I didn't ask it to do and being less configurable.
>>
I used it first to see what the rave is all about.

Now I see that Windows is too fragile and vulnerable. Hate that I still need it for two core reasons.
>>
>>56217318
I agree. Windows gets fucked up if you don't shut down correctly while GNU/Linux seems to boot up twice as fast after unexpected power cuts and shit, almost like what doesn't kill it makes it stronger. If there's ever a self-aware terminator like AI that slaughters all of us it will be running a Linux Kernel.
>>
Because it respects my privacy
>>
Been using Youcumtoo for a year because windows 10 pissed me off. Can't play games much anymore because of my 2yr old, and the os does what it needs to do very well.
>>
>>56206894
>fast
>reliable
>free as in freedom
>doesn't take much time to keep it upgraded or to install software on it
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.