[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /g/ deal with stress at their technology related jobs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1468302109932.jpg (2MB, 1908x2042px) Image search: [Google]
1468302109932.jpg
2MB, 1908x2042px
How does /g/ deal with stress at their technology related jobs?

I like this field but it seems like no matter what job I have there is an immense amount of stress. Maybe I'm the problem but this field also seems to churn and burn people pretty hard; if not the company then the field provides constant pressure since you have to keep up with how fast everything seems to move.
>>
What field is it?
I'm sure janitorial IT shit and software engineering both fall under "tech".
>>
>>56204934
>with how fast everything seems to move.
I assume you're a cable monkey trying to keep up with the latest meme of the month CMS, frameworks, and devops shitware

if you're in IT get a real career
IT is literally the fridge repairman of the future
>>
>>56204977
>>56204986
Software engineering.
>>
>>56204934
I jack off.
>>
>>56205004
Now, OP, this is very important:
Are you a webdev, or do you actually write your own software?
>>
>>56204977
>>56204986
>>56205015
Why is everyone so mad at "IT"? Developers can be stressed as well hence this thread.

I'd just like to get a feel for other people's experiences, and it doesn't have to just be devs.
>>
>>56205004
>SE
good luck
that boat sailed years ago

It's only going to get worse as more poos and brogrammers get dumped into the job market all while coding becomes less machine specific and specialized

Sorry for being negative. I know that's not what you need

To end on a positive note, save yourself and look for some high paying specialized niche of SE.
>>
>>56205052
Because IT requires no real skills and is literally the janitorial work of the 21st century.

Don't even try to call yourself "tech", because you don't even know how it works.
You're just a lowly cable plugger-inner.
>>
>>56205068
How is something highly specialized with a ton of responsibility since you are one of the minority who knows it well theoretically, solve the issue of stress?

I'm not stressed out of fear of losing my job, I get good reviews, it is just rough keeping up pace without burning out from internal schedule pressures and external developments in the field.
>>
>>56205084
I'm not in an IT role, I mentioned above I'm in general software engineering. Who are you talking to?

If IT requires no skills then they probably wouldn't feel stressed to perform and therefore wouldn't be in this thread about stress not IT shitposting.
>>
>>56205068
Not OP, but where should I be looking if I want to have a chance at a good career? I'm a bit through Uni, but I haven't decided if I should go CE, CS, or EE.
>>
>>56205126
Thanks for the bump but this is a heated question around here. All three degrees can lead you to fulfilling careers in fields that need people and pay well but /g/ is blinded by anecdotal evidence and their own personal experience and will give you biased responses.

Of those choices, pick the one you enjoy the most.
>>
>>56205095
>How is something highly specialized with a ton of responsibility since you are one of the minority who knows it well theoretically, solve the issue of stress?
In my case it comes down to job security and confidence in my exclusivity of skills. My workplace pays well and doesn't ride me like an IT or codemonkey mule because they know it would take a significant effort for someone to fill the void I would leave behind. I think that's all there is to it.

Try to make yourself indispensable and you will be treated with respect.

Your company should show respect for you by properly portioning out a doable workload. People deserve time for a personal life, lunch, weekend etc.
Put yourself in a position where you can reject bullshit. Make yourself into a graceful horse with standards for carrying capacity. Don't be that overloaded mule that's going to chase the pay envelope waved in front of them while leaving behind any shred of self-respect.
>>56205126
>but where should I be looking if I want to have a chance at a good career?
difficult to answer without going into ton of details. I know this sounds generic but make sure you like what you're doing. Will make it much easier. If you can get into a specialized niche of CS and graduate from a good institution you have a great chance still. Be careful of falling into the codemonkey pitfall for CS.

EE and CE have a secure future from my perspective of the future. Just make sure they're something you're capable of doing as those fields can get under people's skin if they're not down with the heavy stem focus.
>>
>>56205332
Thanks anon. I know my current company is sort of known for churn and burn compared to others, it could be the environment as well. I'll keep this in mind, I am further cultivating my skills I've always been interested in kernel level stuff.
>>
>>56205373
That's great! Be proud of your skills and don't let them ride you.
Your skill set will eventually put you in a position where they won't dare abuse your talent. Just don't stop moving up
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.