[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solaris

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 800px-Solaris_OS_logo.svg.png (34KB, 800x393px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Solaris_OS_logo.svg.png
34KB, 800x393px
I was watching this https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-solaris/all/all

The only way I see Solaris can survive is to be GPL'ed and GNU fans notice it, which is difficult thanks to the current license, unless Illumos Foundation makes this miracle possible.

Is this the end of Solaris?
>>
>>56200945
Who still uses solaris?
>>
>>56200963
Don't be mean anon.
>>
>>56200963
Basically no one. Oracle killed it, as usual.
>>
>>56200963
My college used Solaris, but that was 5 years ago.
>>
What was solaris used for? I've known about it for a while but I never understood what niche it filled.
>>
File: os-solaris.png (14KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
os-solaris.png
14KB, 600x400px
>>56201021
I want to argue that you are wrong, but the fact is that you are not.

But we should try to revive it. That is what this thread is about.

GPL for Solaris, make this a phoenix!
>>
>>56200945
illumos?
>>
File: illumos.png (3KB, 139x74px) Image search: [Google]
illumos.png
3KB, 139x74px
>>56201069
http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/illumos+Home
>>
Only piece of worthwhile tech at this point from Solaris would be zfs
>>
Only one that can change the license of Solaris or its derivatives is Oracle. Good fucking luck.

The current license doesn't prevent anyone from adding on to illumos though so if there was a reason for someone to want to they probably would have already done it.
>>
>>56201066
It's from the System V family of UNIX systems originally developed by Sun Microsystems and was designed to work on the SPARC family of processors also from Sun. It's basically the *only* open source System V based UNIX IIRC. Sun who was very friendly to the free/open source community, they made sure all of their notable projects would work on other systems and released them under permissive and/or free software licenses before they were corrupted by Oracle
>>
>>56200945
It should be BSD since it's so dead at this point. Literally anyone could use anything from it with no strings attached.

It's like Plan 9, I don't understand why they used so many weird licenses despite it being dead.
>>
>>56200963
The system form Schoolar control department from my university still uses it. Its's pure shit.
>>
>>56201796
Plan 9 is gpl licensed
>>
>>56201630
Don't be so sure, Oracle has KVM integrated into Solaris which is GPL, they could escape further infringement by going GPL https://lwn.net/Articles/588588/
>>
>>56200945
Just switch to *BSD. Solaris was dead the moment Oracle bought it.
>>
>>56202536
>BSD
That's a weird way to spell Linux.
>>
>>56202119
and it was lucent for years

even then there's no point in licensing in licensing a dead product as GPL
>>
>grid computing
>>
>>56202979
You have no idea. Have you even heard of 9front anon?

GPL is the only hope.
>>
>>56203032
i did, and it's cool and all but it's largely hobbyists

i'm a firm believer of public domain stuff, and if something is dead, why not just release it as public domain early while still keeping the rights to it?
>>
>>56203145
Go beyond your own beliefs and accept the great opportunity for publicity this could have.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.