[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC restarts when Skylake iGPU is used

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: HelpMePls.jpg (1MB, 1920x2475px) Image search: [Google]
HelpMePls.jpg
1MB, 1920x2475px
Hello /g/entelmen. I know this isn't tech support, but let tell me you a story.

Few days ago PC parts arrived and I have built my first real PC. It was great fun, specially the part where you discover the pins aren't on CPU anymore, how hard to push your RAM, GPU and power cables into right places, gluing all together via thermal paste. It is like puzzles where you aren't allowed to fail.

Then the part where you discover that Windows 7 can boot via USB 3 but then the installer claims he can't see the installation media. And switching to USB2 / different port doesn't work either... Then the part where you discover that W7 and W10 can't recognize generic Intel Ethernet card. And then you find out Linux Mint 18 works out of box.

And then you find out your new PC randomly restarts. And I panic, try to find out why. After a while my roommate told me that it is because crappy electricity in living room, demonstrating it by switching USB charger in different socket which restarts my PC in the same time. So I moved into kitchen.

There finding out how nice looking is W10. Looking into updates: no way how to turn it off with automatic drivers update in the background, blocking me to manually install Nvidia drivers to finally run some benchmark. These bastards in MS made it when you don't download, they download bloatware (updates?). So I wait. Next I see update center installed 999 missing drivers. Cool, let me... RESTART. After boot restart right after login screen. WTF.
>>
Made custom W7 iso with NTLite. Taking away my GTX1070 because I want to minimize factors. i5 has integrated GPU anyway. Here I have found out that:
>my PC restarts the moment more than a little 3D (2D too?) graphic acceleration is done via intel HD graphics 530
>like Windows Aero turned on -> restart
>yet the IntelĀ® Processor Diagnostic Tool claims success
>then I found out the GPU core in my Intel has 0 Volts. WHAT?
>went to BIOS, so much settings, only a few has something common with iGPU.
>set CPU C states from auto to disabled: nothing
>set CFG lock to disabled: nothing
>set RC6(Render Standby) to off: voltages of iGPU core went from 0 to 0.7V
>now I am able to successfully install drivers to HD Graphics 530 and set resolution to fullHD.
>now the Intel diagnostic tool fails right at the first GPU test
>voltage of iGPU set from AUTO to Threshold, + maximum value (0.6V)
>now the voltages are actually at 1.7 or more
>Intel diagnostic finish even at fullHD resolution, cores pic related. I can turn Aero on for few minutes until it restarts again.
>>
I have run memtest. No errors.
I have run prime95 for an hour while overclocked to 4.2 GHz, temps never went over 60C (this happens when you buy the best cooler I guess).
I have run Intel Diagnostic multiple times. It fails only with default BIOS settings and when iGPU drivers are installed.
I have tried on fresh W7 and W10 install (with no internet), just the diagnostic tool and driver for iGPU. Same diagnosis.
I have updated BIOS to the latest version (maybe this was bad idea?).
I have cleared CMOS (because there were no "reset to factory settings").
My PSU voltages (reported in BIOS and HWmonitor) are withing 5% error margin.
>What can I do to determine what is wrong?
Is my PSU too weak / broken 8-pin 12v ATX?
Is my motherboard faulty in any mysterious way (I looked at every conductor, nothing seems bad, but I am no expert either?)
Is my Intel Sky-lake CPU broken? Only the iGPU part? The part where it determines how much power should go in?
Is my default BIOS settings too retarded? Or is Asus selling mobo's with crap default settings unable to run supported hardware with supported OS?
Am I retarded? (I have to admit my logical reasoning behind buying this mobo was: WOW! WHITE color! BUY IT!)

>Spec:
mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 S (chipset Intel Z170)
CPU : Intel Core i5-6600K (Skylake)
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (2x16GB) DDR4 2400
PSU : Seasonic S12II-620 (620W)

So what do I do now?
Anything I have missed? No I don't have spare PSU, CPU or mobo.

I have read on shady places that people have 1st life time experiences with faulty CPU's ever and that it is Skylake. Am I another victim or did I miss something?

Please help.
>>
Install gentoo
>>
I would seriously just try to boot off of a linux live cd or something and see if the problem occurs there too. If it does then it is gonna be your hardware that is having this problem for sure.

>>56200524
No need to do this.
>>
>>56200446
>made custom w7 iso
stopped reading right there.

And I know for a damn fact Skylake and Intel hd530 is buggy as fuuuuck on Linux.
>>
same thing happens to my setup.
not sure if it is my used motherboard that i bought from ebay or the used intel i5-2400 that i took from a dell workstation.
>computer turns on.
>computer is fine.
>watch a video or something that stresses the gpu
>crash
>install graphics card.
>everything is fine.
>>
>>56200459
You do know that windows 7 doesn't include Skylake support right?
>>
>I have a GTX 1070 but it won't boot with iGPU

???

Even if you explained, the novel you posted isn't worth reading through for the answer.
>>
Sounds like your CPU is overheating. It'll cause a system failsafe reboot.

Did you put too much thermal paste on the CPU lid? Skylake CPUs run hot.
>>
File: 2016-03-12_12-42-16.jpg (353KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-12_12-42-16.jpg
353KB, 1920x1080px
>>56203445
You do know that means jack shit, right?

>>56205784
They run cooler than Devil's Canyon
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.