[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Servers / VPS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: vps.png (51KB, 275x160px) Image search: [Google]
vps.png
51KB, 275x160px
Where does /g/ host their servers / VPS?

As far as I can see some big ones are:
- Amazon AWS
- Google Cloud
- Microsoft Azure
- IBM Softlayer

Are there any (European) hosts which don't hand over data to the NSA without warrant and shit?
>>
>Are there any (European) hosts which don't hand over data to the NSA without warrant and shit?

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>56194071
>Where does /g/ host their servers
At my house
>>
>>56194071
Amateur.
It's called shipping your physical disk to a ToR host.

What are your requirements, I could host it.
>>
>>56194086
Same here. It's the end of the post.

>>56194109
Also public facing stuff or just internal?

>>56194120
Thanks, but no thanks.
>>
>>56194071
AWS or Google if you use Linux, Azure if you use Windows, IBM if you are pants on head retarded.
>>
>>56194138
>Also public facing stuff
It's mostly internal, but I have a few public facing services. My ISP encourages hosting, actually.
>>
I use OVH, they have a data center near of the biggest city of my province and theit VPS is like $5 cad per month.
>>
>>56194120
You mean Top of Rack?
>>
>>56194234
Is it true they require ID and are unreliable?
>>
I colocate my 2 E3 servers at a datacenter a town over. $50/month total for guaranteed 100Mbps Up/Down and much better connection globally then the ISP at my house.

The cloud meme is stupid for most people. All those cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google, etc.) are way overly redundant for typical use cases and you pay way to much as well because of that. Bare metal dedicated servers also perform much better than anything hosted on a hypervisor. Unless you are hosting some sort of critical infrastructure there is almost no reason to use one of those cloud providers and pay premiums for them.
>>
>>56194071
Maybe ovh. I've looked at them a few times because of their dedicated server pricing. Trouble is the price of storage. All in I can get local Colo for less (42u rack).
>>
>>56194274
>50/MO
Where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>56194269

They spot check customers, so you may or may not have to provide your ID. It makes sense though, they used to have a huge spammer/abuse problems due to their low prices. They literally had to order entirely new IP blocks to save their reputation. Obviously they want to protect that.
>>
>>56194071
For home use I wouldn't recommend any of the providers in OP (and by the way, none of them to "VPS" in the way you are probably thinking).

For cheap servers use ramnode, linode, maybe even DO for a hybrid between traditional hosting and "cloud". Only businesses that need to scale dynamically to meet inconsistent traffic or applications that don't need to run constantly warrant the flexibility of the big names. Otherwise, you are better off with a run of the mill vps.
>>
>>56194071
OVH
>>
>>56194377

King County, WA. Somewhat close to Seattle. You can barely throw a rock here without hitting a datacenter here due to Microsoft and Amazon's presence.

I got my 2 servers colocated through a deal at $50/month. Some startup purchased 5 years of space/connection at the DC outright and had some space leftover. Contacted them on craigslist and they cut me that deal.
>>
>>56194071
I use 1and1, I have a "cloud" instance with them. 5/mo and runs on top of VMware (I asked the rep since my last one was virtuozzo).
>>
>>56194071
Hetzner for cheap boxes, worldstream for cheap boxes
>>
>>56194424
Lucky, the lowest I've found in Denver without ludicrous restrictions is 450/mo.
>>
>>56194269

Only had like an hour of downtime one Sunday morning in 8 months. I called them and the answered me in less than 5 minutes (and they guy actually knew what he was talking about).

Pretty satisfied with their service for the price.
>>
>>56194071
OVH quebec
>>
>>56194071
I make everything as static as possible and serve them from Amazon S3.
>>
i'm kinda stupid when it comes to these things but I'd like to have general advice on what i should do.
Use is for plex
i'd buy a full enclosure i assume, 12 drives/bay worth
i'm assuming i'm spending <1k for all hardware stuff minus harddrives.
i'll throw 12 6tb hard drives eventually, on 24/7 but i'll start off with 6 probably. (i think it's raid 4 where i'd have 5 in use while 1 is backup)

I'd still be unsure how to configure it once i have everything but i don't really have server experience so any advice would help.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.