[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Windows Phone fail? Is there room for a third phone OS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 20

File: nokia-920[1].jpg (2MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
nokia-920[1].jpg
2MB, 3000x3000px
Why did Windows Phone fail? Is there room for a third phone OS?
>>
there were always android alternatives to their phones in that price range. nobody bought them, and thus no developer made apps for them. nokia did not focus on being better or a viable alternative, it focused on being different and it failed. they should have adopted android and go from there.
>>
The interface is horrible, it's the same as every other Windows product except the desktop (and it's infected the desktops too with Windows 10). They actually run pretty nicely from my experience but just look at it.
And no app support.
>>
>>56191991
>The interface is horrible

Nope. Used one for years. The interface was great and just werked. What went wrong was nobody gave a shit about it especially devs.
>>
>>56191974
You mean Microsoft
Nokia signed an agreement when it was purchased by Microsoft that restritecd them to not build anything but Windows phones for a period
Word is that such period is about to end and Nokia will start releasing Android powered phones
And I honestly am looking very much forward to that

>>56191883
Yes there is, it's just that they didn't market the products well enough
No apps meant that the phone failed as a "smartphone"
First versions of Windows mobile were good, later versions have horrible ui imo
>>
>>56191991
>The interface is horrible

you wish. because apple's home screen clusterfuck or android's quintillions oems edulcorated gui variations are better, right?
>>
I don't know but it's a shame. I have an old Lumia 920 sitting in my drawer. A very comfy piece of hardware, but it can't be used for much.
>>
>>56191883
The user interface is just quite frankly the best. Android is second and iOS can suck a donkey dick with its worthless fucking homescreen.

But MS was late to the smartphone party (post-iOS I should clarify, since WinMo was around for a while), they were always late with features and no matter how much they paid and spent on developers to port their apps, there tons of developers that didn't care to port no matter how much paid, and a lot of those who did, did the barest amount of work with ugly looking and crash happy apps.

WP lacked OEM support, it lacked dev support, it lacked a thriving app ecosystem - it just lacked industry support in general. It was a better funded WebOS, but failed just as magnificently.
>>
>>56191883
Is it too late to buy a 640 or 650?
>>
>>56192025
>>56192013
It looks like a fucking advertisement, only on closer inspection do you realize the tiles represent apps and shit
>>
File: touching.jpg (61KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
touching.jpg
61KB, 500x300px
>>56192013
>The interface was great and just werked.
AHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHASHAHBAHAHAHA
>>
>>56192060
I own a 640. Bought it a little over a year ago. The lack of apps sometimes bothers me...
Camera is quite good for the price, battery lasts quite good too.
>>
I am now posting from an 512M windows phone. It works far better than an android device with the same price tag but the lack of apps and their uselessness makes my life really hard.

I really like the interface, lacks some core customization features but the biggest problem with it is the very small pool of apps.

Sorry for my shite enrish.
>>
>>56192070
>only on closer inspection

You mean when you look at your phone?
>>
>>56192025
>Apples homescreen clusterfuck
Lmao fucking what?
>>
WP8.1 was pretty good
I think it's a very solid OS, just doesn't get enough love.
All the important shit was there for me, so I don't give a fuck.
A browser, video players, music players, 4chan clients, muh meymey clients
>>
>>56192222
apple users are bad at reading comprehension, go figure
>>
>>56191883
>Why did Windows Phone fail?
They named it Windows Phone.
>>
File: Home-Screen[1].jpg (317KB, 1325x1136px) Image search: [Google]
Home-Screen[1].jpg
317KB, 1325x1136px
>>56192185
To anyone who hasn't used one before, it looks like some ad thing you need to push back on to get to the home screen.

Compare it to pic related where everything is easily understandable and familiar, with icons representing things.
>>
>>56192109
>IT'S NOT LIKE AN IPHONE SO IT'S SHIT!!!1
In all seriousness, the guy is right. It was a very functional UI that was always buttery smooth even on devices that would have lagged like crazy had they ran Android. We were talking Apple ad levels of "it just werks" here. The only real issue with the UI was that the main UI didn't rotate at all like Android does. Apps worked just fine sideways, but the main system UI didn't rotate. Then there's also the lack of customization, but most people who care about that are a niche group of sperglords anyway.

What really killed WP was that it was simply too little too late. WP7 was released in a state where it should have been released within a year to a year and a half of the iPhone to be viable, but didn't release until 3 years later. WP8 finally fixed most of the issues with WP7, but to have been viable it should have released at the time WP7 was released and not 2 years after WP7.
>>
>>56192310
In a year all the "normies" will be using Win10 more, so everyone will know about tiles.
>>
>>56192320
>lack of customization
but fampai, win8.1 had wallpapers and there was also #tileart.
You can't change the fundamental experience, just like on an iPhone, but it still allowed you for more freedom.
>>
>>56192310
>Implying anyone is going to keep their Android home screen that clean
>Implying the on-screen keys at the bottom aren't a complete waste of screen space
I don't even own an iPhone (i do however own a Nexus 5), but even I can see that this comparison is pure bullshit. In regular use the iOS and stock Android home screens will be just as cluttered.
>>
>>56192347
>Backgrounds and weaving those into the tiles
>"Customization"
That's customization in the same sense as putting a few decals on your car. It's not completely stock, but it's not what you'd actually call customized ether.

Mind you, I say this as someone who used a Lumia 920 until January of this year.
>>
Unlike Windows 10 people weren't forced to use it.
>>
>>56192023
Didn't Nokia's entire mobile division get bought out? Don't get my hopes up.
>>
File: wp_ss_20160821_0001.png (899KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160821_0001.png
899KB, 720x1280px
Best platform to get shit done on the move. I couldn't live without my Lumia 640DS.

All the tiny bits that make my life easier, from live tiles to glance screen are just cosmetic things.

They keyboard is still unmatched (if you don't believe android lags, it becomes apparent a month after extensive use of the WP keyboard, going back to android feels like going back to a symbian device with resistive screen that registers input slow as fuck).

Anyway, the app gap is there in form of 1st party apps like snapchat and pokemon go, but then again, not work critical so who cares. As far as an enterprise setting goes, managing a whole fleet of these is a breeze compared to android/iOS (my sysadmins raved when I brought this as my work device).

I had the 640 since it came out, the thing survived so much shit. I'm waiting and waiting for it to die to give me a reason to upgrade to a Lumia 950, but nope.

I hope they don't let the OS itself die. I don't give a fuck if it remains 1% market share, but I'd be pissed if they halted support and shut down notification servers etc...

Pic related, everything I need.
>>
>>56192394
Well I used a 735, so I have experience with 8.1
Sure, it's not as crazy as Android/JB'd iOS, but it's not as bad as Stock iOS.
>>
It came too late, Android and iPhone where much more popular. Right now Windows phone is as popular as iPhones when it comes to the number of users using them, and I bet if iPhones were more affordable (or win phones were more expensive) Windows phones would lose half their users. Android has both of them beat in everything since Android took the "smart" in the smartphone to a higher level, opened it's OS to everyone and allowed the phones to be pocket computers, which is one of the main reasons iPhones and Windows phones are failing, that and the fact there are price ranges between 50 and 1000 dollars for Android powered device so anyone can afford them, although the same is applied to windows phones they just aren't as good because they don't have enough software/developers. The only reason apple gets away with the small user base is because they make up for the money lost by overcharging everything and limiting their users, who grow to be clueless when it comes to technology and other devices seem alien to them. Microsoft should just leave mobile phones to Android phone developers and Apple since they're probably losing more money in a month than they gain in a year from their phones.
>>
>>56191883
Ubuntu phone
>>
I used a WP for almost a year. While I really liked the interface just about every app was either severely lacking in features, unpolish or just missing altogether.
Got a good medium range Android phone and never looked back
>>
>>56192455
>but it's not as bad as Stock iOS.
If you have to use stock iOS as your comparison point you really don't have much to brag about. You might as well not bother.
>>
>>56192399
The binding agreement they have was set for 5 years
After that time expires, Nokia has hinted at sarching for new partners
Hope is that they'll still work with microsoft, but will release Android phones too, sort like BlackBerry releases both BlackBerry os and Android phones
>source: google Nokia 5 year agreement
>>
>>56192399
Yup, they got bought up and the smartphone side was completely shut down a couple of months ago. The dumbphone division on the other hand was however sold to a Finnish company (owned and funded by a Korean capital investment firm) who then licensed the name and IP from the part of Nokia that wasn't sold to Microsoft and they're now working on the Nokia Android devices supposedly releasing late this year and early next year. Mind you Nokia's old dumbphone division isn't completely inexperienced in making android devices as they've made their own "de-Googlified" branch of it for a number of their dumbphones.

Then again this could also be like the Nokia branded tablet from not too long ago where they just let Foxconn use the brand and put on a Nokia developed software loader.
>>
>>56192561
My bad, google Nokia microsoft 5 years agreement
>>
File: wp_ss_20160821_0002.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160821_0002.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>56192070
You are a joke.
>>
>>56192310
see
>>56192705
>>
>>56191883
They didn't plan long term.

Most people have years long contracts with their phones. so dumping a new one out there and expecting it to fly in only a couple of years was a dumb move.
>>
>>56192705
What is that cancer, is this ironic? Your post is a joke.
>>
>>56191883
Because they're dumbphones in the smartphone age, destined for failure.
>>
>>56192310
i have never used iphone but from your picture it seems similar to windows phone's home screen except that tiles actually can have actual information on them not just counter, so in my opinion windows phone has it better as far as home screen is concerned
>>
>>56192705
A fellow lith-fag with a WP. Nice.
I wouldn't buy a WP again but in a bout a year or so I'll upgrade anyway.
>>
>>56192795
My L1520 is dying due to phone being fucked in my work place, so am getting an Android because need phone now.
PureView Camera is the best fucking thing out there.
>>56192748
Ur mom
>>
>>56192310
Does iOS still not have widgets or something that looks like it was made in the current decade?
>>
File: iota.png (2MB, 2196x2476px) Image search: [Google]
iota.png
2MB, 2196x2476px
>>56192310

hey bro
>>
>>56192705
total transparency looks messy, 8.1 like theme with black background and transparent tiles looks uniquely good though
>>
>>56191883
its MS fault, WP10 sucks and they kill off WP8, also how the fuck does android gets more updates on their office software then their own phone. oh well maybe if react native gets ported to wp10 people will start to do apps on this crap and who knows maybe MS will finally get wp10 out of somethig that should be closed alpha.
>>
microsoft fucked themselves at every angle. windows mobile is a good, relatively lightweight os with a lot of potential, but ms made no effort to push it. like, they actually admitted that they weren't concerned about doing anything with windows mobile this year.

no flagship releases, shit phone releases, no advertising, constantly backtracking on promises to users. low market share means devs aren't interested.
>>
>>56192861
Matter of taste, really. Some people like this >>56192310
>>
>>56191883
Windows ruined the phone experience early on. Every preceding version was so bad it made the user less productive. That kind of stigma hangs around.
>>
>>56192854
all of these android one's have novice feeling, stock is the best, not defending ios, it's another level of shit
>>
real talk, boys. is it worth sticking with windows mobile? i've been using a shitty htc 8xt for the last two years because sprint doesn't carry windows phones anymore (gg microsoft) and am about to jump ship to att or t-mobile. i've heard the 950s are shit, but there's not much else now that the cheap 640s are gone.
>>
>>56192025
>apple's home screen clusterfuck
iOS' user interface is the most clear, straight-line, shit there is - you literally can't get any more NOT-clusterfuck than that.
>>
>>56192924
950 is shit, sadly.
You could get 1520, if you don't mind GIANT fucking phone and no real way to carry it around.
>>
>>56191883
I use it as my main phone. It's a Lumia 635 and I bought it on amazon. Cheap as fuck right?
This phone is alright for me cuz I only text and call.
But sometimes I search the web or turn on hotspot, and that's when I feel that I am using industrial waste as my main cellular device
>>
>>56192854
You realize this images argues that Android is better because it puts style above usability, right?
>>
>>56192922
I agree there's some candy ricing there for no benefit. But the good thing about Android is you can tailor to your needs somewhat.

I don't know how people can stand the iOS home screen, which is basically just an app list.
>>
>>56192930
tell me how a bunch of tacky skeumorphism icons arranged on grid are clearer than some homogenous coherent resizable live tiles also on grid.
>>
>>56191883
MS were THIS CLOSE to actually make WP a thing. Especially now with W10 having better app compatibility.

It's like they don't want to or something, I don't understand.
>>
File: uSFT5cM.png (58KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
uSFT5cM.png
58KB, 633x758px
>no verizon phones
>no sprint phones
>no t-mobile phones

surely ms has some grand strategy here, right? i mean, you don't just fucking let your market share fall to .5% for no reason.
>>
>>56193045
No. Ballmer was a drunk past his time after 7 and Nadella is a pajeet.
>>
>>56193034
poo in loo ceo is assigned to destroy ms
>>
>>56193027
Every single time I use Android, I have to play around for a bit just to figure out how the interface works - this NEVER happens with iOS. And how the fuck are icons on a grid bad anyway? You see everything at a glance and just tap the app you want to use. I have no desire to change that, even if I could.
>>
>>56193183
>just tap the app you want to use
How do you deal with the lack of widgets? Say, a calendar and a list of events?
That's real comfy to me.
>>
WP7 and WP8 had different app stores, thats why no devs made any app for the platform. Its not like in iOS or Android, where you make app and it works from Gingerbread till Kitkat, or from Jellybean till Android O.

Also, no hardware. When Nokia was alive, they at least had some phones. 520 was one of the best budget phones and people bought them. They were some other companies (HTC M8 with WP, Acer, some smaller OEMs), but now, you have no choice in your device. If you want W10M device, you buy budget phone, nicer looking budget phone, kinda meh highrange phone and ok highrange phone.

And this comes from WP/W10M fan. I hope in 2 years they will get their shit together and I will be able to purchase W10M device again.
>>
>>56192310
>>56192854
I've always hated this about Android. There's a stupid homescreen that I need to tap through before I can reach my app drawer. I haven't found an app that just takes me directly to the app drawer yet.
>>
>>56193183
Android and ios are based on the same interface principles. There is a grid for both unless you're using some backward ass carrier customized ui.
>>
>>56193374
just put the apps that you use on home screen?
>>
>>56191883
not open source
>>
>>56193374
"App drawer"?
If you want a list of all apps, hit the button with 6 dots. If you want to add folders, touch and hold an empty area and add it.
>>
>>56193397
I use almost 200 apps. It will take a long time to add them and I don't know if new apps will be placed in the correct spot alphabetically when ever I install a new one.

>>56193434
That button opens up the app drawer. The problem is that I have to press Android's home button from another app then the app drawer button. I need to go to the app drawer all the time so it has become really fucking annoying.
>>
It had potential but Microsoft being Microsoft they fucked their users hard.

I fell for the meme and bought a first gen windows phone, an HTC Mozart 7.

It was basic, few apps but other than that it werked. Then I waited roughly a year for an update that I produced copy & fucking paste and then it was announced that the first gen windows phone OS would be abandoned.

That's when I lost my shit. They fucked their first adopters so fucking much that they were doomed from the start.
>>
>>56193523
>use almost 200 apps
hard to believe but if it's true search would be superior than any "app drawer"
>>
>>56193561
>I produced
*Introduced
>>
>>56192320
>still use lumia 930
>check out s7 edge
>it lags all over
>even the fucking web browser on the 930 provides a smooter experience
>UI is retarded on the s7
How fucking hard is it to make an android device that doesn't make me feel I'm using a computer from the 90s that was always outdated? The no apps meme is starting to bother me a bit so I'm probably going to buy an android device later this year. Maybe I can install sailfish on it and that reduces the lag.
>>
>>56192310
they are both fucking shit. apple chromatic guidelines seems to be written by some hippie from the 60ies, android is just shit with its lma0 two clocks
>>
>>56193677
>60ies
>>
>>56193561
>first gen windows phone OS would be abandoned
later phones have it better, i use windows 10 on lowest of low end windows phones from 2013 and it works just fine
>>
>>56193578
Is there an app where I can press the home button from another app and it will automatically open up the search bar and keyboard?
>>
>>56193677
>60ies
>sixty ies
>>
>>56193720
I've seen the improvement but that doesn't change the fact that first gen users were fucked so hard it made it almost impossible to persuade them to try another windows phone device.
>>
File: IMG_20160821_174826.png (104KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160821_174826.png
104KB, 720x720px
>>56193677
You can always swap the launcher on Android
>>
>>56193726
KISS launcher, not sure if you don't have to tick a thing in settings though.
Also Blackberry works like that by default. Only apple cucks don't get the search functionality.
>>
>>56193868
which only makes sense on devices that run nearly AOSP software anyways as otherwise you will have a horrific mix of pseudo-AOSP-wahtever-launcher-you-use and the original manufacturers look in eg. the drop down status bar and settings. so essentially a launcher doesnt solve any problem.
>>
>>56192854
those Android screens look awful. Fucking ricers have no taste.
>>
>>56194017
This is really good. Thanks a lot senpai.
>>
>>56194093
Or on devices where you install a custom ROM. On the phones I used the manufacturer didn't fuck up the whole design so I had no problems using other launchers.
>>
>>56191883
They really should have focused on a non-consumer-facing section of the market. If they'd tried to make it the Thinkpad of phones, it could have worked. If they'd made phones that were boxy, but easily fixed, easily managed by IT departments and focused heavily on security, then they'd have something worth buying, but not for the average consumer. Ideally they would have not just gone with Windows phone, but thrown a fuckton of money at Redhat to create a Linux OS for it too, because there's nothing quite like sucking up to the IT department of a large company to get mandatory hardware used by all its employees.

Blackberry's dropped the ball, because they got greedy and wanted into consumer tech. Instead of taking over Blackberry's old market, Nokia went and tried to differentiate their phones with... better cameras?
>>
>>56193726
Google now
Even without the now cards function
Just long press the home button, and google now will open
The search bar works both as an internet search and local search
You can search apps, music and everything
>>
File: 1448488200817.jpg (66KB, 516x619px) Image search: [Google]
1448488200817.jpg
66KB, 516x619px
ms killed nokia
wp without nokia is nothing
ms already killed most nokia apps

apple is your last hope from google domination
android without competition will turn shit
kekekke
>>
>>56191974
stfu
>>
>>56194903
fuck off retard
>>
File: 53cd133c1605fb3577002c6e.jpg (64KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
53cd133c1605fb3577002c6e.jpg
64KB, 400x293px
THIS:
>>56192038
>>56192427
>>56193321
These posters know what they're talking about. GJ.
>>
>>56191883
cos no apps
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 320x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 320x270px
>>56194017
You can search through your apps on ios.
>>
Because Nokia didnt gave in to popular interests before it was too late.
Real mobile phones have died.
>>
>>56192705
disgusting.
>>
No apps. It was an amazing phone tho. Windows phone needs Snapchat and little games like pk go for it to make it. I honestly would go back to winmo if my phone fucks me.
>>
It was closer to a featurephone than a smartphone.
>>
Microsoft and Nokia were the Johnny-Come-Latelys that laughed off smartphones while they still had the edge in desktop PCs and feature phones. Windows phone was pretty much fucked for 4 reasons:

1.) Johnny-Come-Lately last mover disadvantage
2.) The UI reminded people of the horrid Windows 8
3.) Windows is that "industry standard" thing at work you only use because you have to. Microsoft was never "cool", and never will be. Not even ironically with Vaporwave fans.
4.) Proprietary and closed, with no "cool factor" to compensate like with Apple.
>>
File: 2016-08-21-15-22-36--757394069.jpg (8KB, 200x251px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-21-15-22-36--757394069.jpg
8KB, 200x251px
Also, Nokia stubbornly insisted phones needed one of these, to the detriment of good input methods for anything else than dialing.
>>
>>56191883
UWP Isn't finished yet
>>
>>56193269
In ios 10; they have a scrollable screen of widget type things that you get to by swiping left from the homescreen, i forget what its called

They had something like that in older versions, in the notification center but it was a bit more limited
>>
>>56192320
Id like to agree with you but I owned a windows phone and had to use the default music app on it
>>
>>56194230
>thrown a fuckton of money at Redhat to create a Linux OS for it too

wut
>>
>>56192500
Why do people do it with Android then?
Literally everyone on this site is comparing Android's customization options to Stock iOS and says how Android is better in every aspect.

Gotta decide, man.
>>
>>56191991
best mobile UI by far
>>
>>56192310
>static and boring
>lower information density
>lower customization
>better

freefags make me lol
>>
>>56192705
I have no idea where the fuck to tap on that screen
What's up with those little tiny unreadable sentences under what looks like the photos app?
>>
Why? No apps, better android alternatives, the only thing they really had going was camera and battery life. As far as room for a third os, I really wanna see how Ubuntu phones do.
>>
File: phone.jpg (162KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
phone.jpg
162KB, 720x1280px
>>56192427
why the fuck did facebook completely break the messenger live tile god dammit
>>
It failed? Who cares, Microsoft are still going to use their money to keep the mobile OS up to parity with the desktop version. I doubt they will kill it off until they have tested the market with a Surface phone.

My first smartphone ever was/is a 930 and it has never run better than with the Win 10 Anniversary update. Doesn't have Snapchat and such, but at least it performs the basic smartphone functions like a champ and runs great doing it.
>>
>>56192924
The 950/950XL's are fine. The lack of apps can be frustrating, but everything I use is available.

Another high end option is the HP Elite X3.

Otherwise, Windows 10 on a 735 is alright, but nothing to write home about.

>>56192956
> 950 is shit, sadly.
How do you figure? The 1520.3 is a great device, but impossible to find new.
>>
Because after 3 replacements, my 920 still got LCD burn, dust in charger port and front camera, and overheating issues.
>>
>>56191883
Linux was already on phones and they weren't able to pull the same forced-compatibility scheme they did with windows because of it.
>>
>>56193374
I use some thing called KISS App Launcher or something that I found on the F-Droid store. It's alright. I still hate all Phone OS interfaces though. They're all just so damn shitty.
>>
>>56197515
What fucked up? It's not transparent any more, but notification wise, much better now.

When I get a message, it turns into the profile pic of the person messaging me, and slides up to shows the first bits of the last message I got... bretty gud.
>>
>>56192167
Was so tempted to buy lumia 640, went with a redmi 3 pro instead.

Did I mess up?
>>
>>56199938
>redmi 3 pro
You did well, my father has one and the battery is bretty gud.
>>
>>56200049
That was my main reason for buying it, since my previous phone was a nexus 4
>>
Because Microsoft had no idea what to do with WP. I saw absolutely 0 advertisement in my life, compared to iphone or android phones.
I have a lumia since a year ago and i must say it's a pretty nice phone. Wanted to put w10 via insider app but for some reason it doesn't work anymore to me
>>
>>56202064
>Because Microsoft had no idea what to do with WP.
Actually, since most of their stuff sells itself due to tech inertia, they have lost the ability to sell a new product. They don't know how to market something the world + dog isn't baying for.
Nobody wanted a WinPho.
>>
>>56202064
Idk man, windows phone had some amazing and hilarious ads

https://youtu.be/0-U4Yr9UNBo
>>
Ah, good old banana phone and its shill threads.
>>
>>56202334
Nice.
>>
File: HTCWindows10.jpg (1MB, 2680x2680px) Image search: [Google]
HTCWindows10.jpg
1MB, 2680x2680px
>>56191883
I don't know why they insist on using the ugliest phones and color schemes like in the OP for all their advertisements.
>>
>>56197400
> im retarded
>>
>>56191883
"But the decline of Windows smartphones portrayed by Gartner was stunning. In 2015’s June quarter, Microsoft’s operating system powered 2.5 percent of all smartphones sold. Twelve months later, Windows’ share of sales had collapsed to less than six-tenths of a percentage point."

>>
>>56203324
"well, they blew $10bln. Shareholders were promised 15% market share by 2017. By the target the board itself set, it has been a great failure. It actually was an acquisition to make Windows mobile a market force."

added bonus

destroyed nokia

the microsoft touch of death

one of a long series of total failures -- the biggest product failures in corporate history serieally, belong to microsoft

where they have to compete, it's found that they CAN'T COMPETE
>>
>>56203308
bro i owned a windows phone; i know how the tile folders work

just when you take any form of borders away youre left with a bunch of arbitrarily different sized text and icons with a massive amount of empty space between them for no good reason
>>
>>56203206
I cant be the only person that finds the HTC one kinda ugly
It's not as bad as samshit but theres many far better alternatives such as the xperia z series and most nokias

IDK brushed aluminum seems played out and tacky to me, its almost as bad as unnecessary chrome accents which this phone also seems to have
>>
>>56191883

I almost wound up with one of these in 2012 before I even knew what the difference was. luckily the reception was non existent so i was able to return it and get an S2 which I still use today
>>
>>56203587
the htc with win mobile 6 regressed the telephone
edison would have been disgusted
took a minute to "boot", before you could even make a call -- house burning down, being murdered - microsoft do not care- the low quality garbage they ship -- created a whole market of other products to fix their basic product
>>
>>56191883
Because no x86.
Windows is doomed to be a Intel based OS. They will pick up marketshare if they released a Surface Phone with Windows 10 x86.
>>
>>56204231
>x86 phone
Good luck with that, Intel axed mobile Atoms
>>
>>56204240
Not really, they literally just released the next generation Atom a few days ago with the same CPU arch but next gen GPU and DDR4 support.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10574/intel-unveils-joule-highperf-atom-iot-kit
But currently it's limited to their IoT platform. But I don't see why they won't sell it to OEMs later on.
>>
>>56204282
What the fuck does x86 have to do with anything, uwp already supports arm natively
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (177KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
177KB, 1920x1080px
Because microsoft is shit at advertising and getting people interested in their products. Technically speaking its fine, no better or worse than ios/iphone. But nobody was aware of it and now nobody wants to transition.
>>
>>56204477
Because nobody is bothering to make anything for UWP, especially after they scrapped the store twice for WP7 and W8.
>>
File: xxs_HTC_One_V_1_624-970-80.jpg (54KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
xxs_HTC_One_V_1_624-970-80.jpg
54KB, 624x351px
>>56204167
HTC isnt all that bad; the one V was the best budget smartphone design of all time imo
>>
Former Windows Phone user here. They failed for the same reason Palm, BlackBerry, and Nokia did once Android and iOS rolled around: They were too late and tried to make their own OS at a time when Android was being pushed as the way forward by everyone else.

Their CEO laughed at the iPhone when it was new, then suddenly they were scrambling to make their old Windows Mobile OS (which competed with BlackBerry, Symbian, and Palm) up to date. While OEMs like HTC were skinning WinMo to compete with iOS, these same OEMs later skinned Android and went to it entirely

Instead of trying to make major updates to Windows Mobile, Microsoft created a new OS that would also run atop Windows CE called Windows Phone 7. It was a new OS but in usual modern-day Microsoft fashion, shipped half baked and way too late to make an impact (by the time WP7 came out Android was at 2.3). It was a step back from WinMo in functionality in every possible way. Features as simple as tethering (which was later added in a crippled fashion), multitasking, home screens, and copying/pasting were absent, and the OS was heavily locked down compared to the relatively open Windows Mobile OS, which was easy to rice and had loads of custom roms in it's day.

Perhaps the worst part though is that it lacked apps. Numerous apps on other platforms are absent on WP and it's even worse when it comes to games. Nobody wants to make apps for it, prefering to target platforms people actually use such as Android or iOS. Microsoft bought Nokia in an attempt to push it and likely emulate the success they've had with their hardware division, but the only place it even gained market share was in the ultra low end prepaid part of the market, and even then it simply cannot compete with Android. Even with Windows Phone's advantages like speed and optimization, nobody is going to buy a platform with no apps.
>>
File: 1294144807819.png (3KB, 137x143px) Image search: [Google]
1294144807819.png
3KB, 137x143px
>>56191883
Microshit did almost no advertisement. They expected people to flock to it because it had the windows branding.

When they first released the Lumia 920 they came out swinging.
https://youtu.be/0-U4Yr9UNBo
This commercial was aired for a month in my area, then it completely vanished. No followup. Nothing.
I never saw billboards or any posters on display, and phone stores never seemed to carry it. This was all during the 920 launch; the phone was a ghost.

They never corrected this pattern with any of their followup flagships either.

The sad part is the 920 was a comfy fucking phone for it's time. Nice camera that had god-like low light handling abilities and a dedicated physical button to launch the camera app.
OneNote integration was beautiful. Nokia apps took a huge shit on google apps at the time.
The tiles displayed just enough without getting in the way and made everything feel uniform.
The phone was fast and snappy as fuck. I never had it freeze on me.

But it had no fucking apps! Because they never pushed the phone, nobody was willing to make or port apps to it. Any app the phone did get was never updated.
>>
>>56204231
they wasted another $10bn trying to get off win32
>>
>>56204794
and there were no apps
their "appstore" stuffed with crudware
ripoff ware -- microsoft allowed any "app" on
to get the figures, they thought that just by saying "we have n. apps", that people would suddenly flock to use -- they had NO APPS of note. It wasn't where the market was. Enough of a struggle getting a product onto apple/android without dealing with the cruddy microsoft and their beta, shifting sands low standards / OS
>>
>>56204864
now they're trying to get across to linux, a viable platform, fast (as apple did well over a decade ago). What does that say about their marketing for years --- for years they were poison to linux, doing everything they could to undermine- now they say "we love linux", -- everything is supposed to be ok? Like donald trump saying "sorry", "didn't mean it". They aren't trustworthy -- nobody will deal with them at all because of their record .. for 3 decades they regressed human progress by destroying anything innovative in that, the most damaging, regressive monopoly in human history. If it weren't for microsoft there'd be bases on mars now
>>
File: 1298812984431.png (50KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
1298812984431.png
50KB, 246x246px
>>56202334
Another good one,
https://youtu.be/jdpQir1sqiQ
>>
>>56191883
my parents use 950's and they love it. Great OS for older people who dont want to tinker around much and can't afford an iphone.

It's simple and easy to use.
>>
>>56204804
>Microshit did almost no advertisement
>it had no fucking apps

Pretty much this. It's mostly the lack of apps that killed any chance of adoption. There were some real gems on the app store, but Instagram was becoming the next big thing among normies at the time. Windows Phones didn't have it and there were no plans to release it, so people just stuck to their iPhones.

It's a shame, because flagship lumias looked really good and had a lot of fashion accessory potential. Not to mention they were objectively better phones than any iPhone Apple will ever come up with.
>>
>>56205026
better phones than any iPhone Apple will ever come up with.

the iphone - which apple created a market with.
some of the shit that is generated here
>>
>>56191883
"I guess I am saddened, not by Microsoft's success – I have no problem with their success, they've earned their success for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just make really third rate products." - steve jobs, 1996

""Microsoft has had two goals in the last 10 years. One was to copy the Mac, and the other was to copy Lotus' success in the spreadsheet — basically, the applications business. And over the course of the last 10 years, Microsoft accomplished both of those goals. And now they are completely lost." - jobs (1994)"

""Our friends up north [Microsoft] spend over $5bn on research and development, and all they seem to do is copy Google and Apple." - jobs (2006)"
>>
>>56205094
has anyone noticed that the negative microsoft , obviously paid, constant trolling of /g/

from some sources, debated

that it's turned off like a switch in recent weeks?

micropolicy change -- and the have realised that it's so negative
>>
>>56205094
gates in 2010

""There's nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it'," Gates told business technology website Bnet. "It's not like I sit there and feel the same way I did with the iPhone, where I say, 'Oh my God, Microsoft didn't aim high enough'."
Gates said that he did not think a fully touch-screen tablet would be a hit with consumers. "I'm a bit believer in touch and digital reading, but I still thank that some mixture of voice, the pen and a real keyboard – in other words a nebook – will be the mainstream on that," he said.
When Steve Jobs, Apple's chief executive, unveiled the iPad last month, he used the opportunity to criticise netbook computers, branding them "cheap laptops" with low-quality displays running slow PC software. "Netbooks aren't better at anything," he said."
>>
>>56205157
>"I'm a bit believer in touch and digital reading, but I still thank that some mixture of voice, the pen and a real keyboard
Looks like Gates was right on that one. I mean, look at the iPad Pro. Surface has been a massive hit as a productivity computer. The iPad was a massive success in replacing Windows CE for POS, ordering systems and shit like that.
>>
Windows Phone failed because it had nothing special going for it other than it runs Windows. Apple has it's hipster iPhone and poorfags and richfags and averagefags had Android which was out way before Windows Phone. Windows Phone had no advantage. Cheap phones can't sell if there was already a well established market for Android. It was doomed from the get go. It was like trying to sell a Gamecube when everyone already owned a PlayStation 2 and a library of games. The Windows Phone platform failed as a result. People already owned an Android.
>>
>>56191883
I love the hell out of my 950. They really just needed to advertise these things more. Their surface line is everywhere, put the same marketing behind your phones
>>
>>56192070

because you are a retard. tiles are nice and useful on a phone.
>>
>>56191883
Somebody decided that once they move the market from mobile 7 to 8 all the apps from 7 will no longer be supported and most of them stopped working completely. Think how happy were companies that spend good couple of goy coins and suddenly they have to start over . On that stage lots of developers said duck that shit and left. I remember apps like my fitness pal , being developed by some Indian guy and the thing would crash every so often or not let you to log in unless you uninstall the app and install it again . It still was one of the best version because it 'worked'. Sound wise the microphone and speaker was way better than most high end phones . Even on loudspeaker the quality of the sound was amazing. Overall the market feel very hipster. Very little to offer and I always felt like a beta tester. I work in the phone so and the only people looking for the Lumia phones will be elderly or black people because of the price of the device
>>
>>56192245
Quite ironic considering that all the apps are compressed on the desktop
>>
>>56192487
> Firefox OS phone
>>
>>56203206
What is my current phone I think comparing two most Android phones the gun metal case it's actually quite nice what will the phone still be very plastic then again I would never put Windows mobile on my phone it's like purposely limiting your own options
>>
>>56204794
This pretty much you'll find 50 different versions of the same app what different issues in different areas the market is very small and similar to flappy bird a lot of replicas of the same thing
>>
>>56191883

No applications. Also too iOS-que, instaead of being more like Android.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.