[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tracking PHP code

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: anime-question.jpg (174KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
anime-question.jpg
174KB, 640x640px
Hello /g/ my name is Dylan I’m Web Developer I occasionally post on 4chan /g/.
Today I come with a very important question but before we get to that there is a story.
So I recently got a client that had a website done for e commerce which came to the final cost of 2,600$ now the website is very nice 200+ hours nice. Now here comes the main part so listen up.
The customer signed a contract which agrees that they can get a copy of the source code but they can’t redistribute the source code. During the end of construction of the website the client tells me that their friend is a web developer and that he would like to look at the code so I haven’t given them the source code yet because I think the developer guy saw and wants to use it and the program is written in php and mysql how could I track the code if someone gets a hold of it?
All answers will be very nice and I would be very happy for feedback please help me.
>>
That is a very stupid idea for a contract tbqh. Just forget it and move on, you did your job.
>>
>>56188556
Being server-side, you can't realistically track who uses it unless he was to publish source on some public repository (github, etc). The only thing I could think of is to add something to the php somewhere that phones home but it is unreliable since he could just remove that portion since he is probably modifying it anyways.

In short, it really isn't possible without access to his source in the future unless you scrape his websites and can test for functionality that matches your site.
>>
File: cat-hands.jpg (196KB, 432x444px)
cat-hands.jpg
196KB, 432x444px
>>56188591
Thank you I really appreciate your time and input.
>>
File: anime-death-jeb-bush.jpg (29KB, 531x550px) Image search: [Google]
anime-death-jeb-bush.jpg
29KB, 531x550px
>>56188591
wait have you heard of PHP Obfuscator
>>
>>56188617
Obligatory "are you sure you need to further obfuscate PHP? :^)" but it is still not a foolproof solution. I'd suggest OP not to break contract in the first place.
>>
>>56188556
show the website in action, show exercepts of the source code, prove that you did as requested. Once you get the money hand over the source code.
>>
>>56188556
put in watermarks disguised as actual content into the generated html(invisible elements that are unique to your website)
>>
you could obfuscate the code, and if you used zend, they have an encryption framework, that lets you run encrypted files that therefor a client couldn't unlock. but those go against the notion of giving your client their sourcecode.

you signed an agreement that said you'd give them the source, so when they pay you, you give them the source code. that's the deal you made.

if you were worried about it, don't sign deals that say you'll give the client the code. or that a copy of the full code costs extra etc.

you can't really trace your code use, unless you're hosting some vital parts of the code on your servers, and the clients end phones home to get those pieces, where you've whitelisted ips that can pull down those "vital" parts, which seems very elaborate and not at all worth the effort unless you've done anything groudn breakingly billion dollar idea level, which seems very unlikely
>>
File: anime-hands-up.jpg (66KB, 615x892px) Image search: [Google]
anime-hands-up.jpg
66KB, 615x892px
>>56189973
Thank you for your time I will greatly take this in consideration but I don't want to end up having douches reusing my code and I'm very sure tons of other people don't want that either because it's like having your property stolen
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.