[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Micosoft taking away Windows Update control in October

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 11

File: pepe31.jpg (113KB, 522x534px) Image search: [Google]
pepe31.jpg
113KB, 522x534px
http://archive.is/lrOaO because fuck Forbes' welcome mat

>“From October 2016 onwards, Windows will release a single Monthly Rollup that addresses both security issues and reliability issues in a single update. The Monthly Rollup will be published to Windows Update (WU), WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog. Each month’s rollup will supersede the previous month’s rollup, so there will always be only one update required for your Windows PCs to get current.”
>“Individual patches will no longer be available after October 2016.”
>"How would you like your simple fucking convenience senpai"
>>
>>56180980

I dont get it. Is there alwas one big update that i have to install every month?
>>
>>56180980
7fags and 8.1tards BTFO
>>
Fuck windows 10 and its updates. If you have some more obscure device driver the updates will break it and the OS itself.

I'd be fine with updates but all they do nowadays is help microshit monetize user information better. If that means breaking drivers, then so it will be.

I went back to 7 and once the security updates stop, I'll go Arch full time.
>>
Shocking. It's almost like Microsoft is trying to make their lives easier at the expense of everyone else.

Adapt or leave, but don't be surprised by their actions.
>>
>>56181039
yeah. all the security and """recommended""" updates get rolled up into 1 big pill you have to swallow, otherwise no security updates for you.

>>56181076
might as well go Arch fulltime when this shit arrives, these forced rollup updates might have the same driver breaking effect.
>>
This is all because they want to make the next version of Windows all subscription based.
>>
>>56180980
Does that means all updates gonna come at the same time, or that its just gonna be one patch that includes everything once a month?
>>
>Microsoft Windows has a universal back door through which any change whatsoever can be imposed on the users. In Windows 10, the universal back door is no longer hidden; all “upgrades” will be forcibly and immediately imposed.

>Users reported that Microsoft was forcing them to replace Windows 7 and 8 with all-spying Windows 10.
Microsoft was in fact attacking computers that run Windows 7 and 8, switching on a flag that said whether to “upgrade” to Windows 10 when users had turned it off.
Later on, Microsoft published instructions on how to permanently reject the downgrade to Windows 10.
This seems to involve use of a back door in Windows 7 and 8.

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/proprietary-back-doors

Any semblance of user control is gone. You are now running Microsoft's computer, which does exactly what Microsoft wants, and you're paying them for the opportunity, while they gather more and more information about you for whatever purposes they see fit.
>>
>>56181142
the latter
>>
>>56181063
7fags stopped installing updates when they broke Windows Update trying to push new computer sales and WIndows 10.
>>
>>56180980
Got windows 7.
And its the last one ill ever use in my life.
>>
>>56181076
>Arch
>not Ubuntu
edgy
>>
>>56181116
Fuck that.

I think at that point, when October comes around, I'll finally move back to GNU/Linux.

I used to use Linux primarily, but the past year and a half I've just used Windows because convenience and "muh vidya". But this is the last straw from Microshart. I'm moving back all the way to Linux. Fuck em.
>>
Haven't updated my win7 install in years, this won't affect me.
>>
Idc still not gonna use some lincuck shitro
>>
>>56181617
Good goy.
>>
>>56180980
This is for the home editions, enterprise would never go for this
>>
>>56181650
Im jewish actually :^}
>>
>>56181694
Prove it
>>
>>56181754
it's a sfw board
>>
>>56180980
There's no way this will be deployed in the Enterprise editions of Windows. It would be business suicide.
>>
windows 7 too?
>>
>>56181820
im a fucking idiot,ignore me /g
>>
File: 1416086957412.png (259KB, 603x356px) Image search: [Google]
1416086957412.png
259KB, 603x356px
>your OS vendor deliberately trying to force something onto you that you don't want
#JustWindowsThings
>>
>>56181807
As somebody who works with the enterprise side, they already committed sudoku with Windows 10 overall.

As you may or may not know, businesses and institutions tend to have imaging servers and practices because manually installing Windows + 150+ pieces of software is next to impossible to do with large scale computer networks.

They've made it 10x harder to correctly create images and deploy them as we've used to pre-Win10, such as the start menu and having it be the default start menu for every user that logs in.

Fuck them. They're literally only getting away with this because they've embedded themselves so deeply into the market and most businesses and institutions have no other choice but to rely on their shitty as software.

Fuck microsoft so hard.
>>
>>56181884
Do you actually manage the images? I thought you're just a group policy away from disabling what ever you want. Easy shit.
>>
I'm done with this shit. I can't even keep up with all of this nonsense anymore. Committing a mercy killing to my desktop soon. Honestly, I feel like I'm battling viruses on my grandmothers computer everytime I boot this shit up.
>>
>>56181884
As somebody who works with the enterprise side, enterprise admins are the worst I ever met. I wouldn't be surprised if simple change of name from win7 to win10 make most of them incapable of installing it on even single machine.
>>
>>56182028
Group policy is applied after deployment.

The problem is the pre-capture and capture of the image. It's all these stupid fucking quirks that used to work in Windows 7/8.1 but don't work in 10.

>>56182054
I'm just a student technician. Can't really speak in that regard, but I assume that it would be more anecdotal than anything.
>>
>>56180980
this is the last straw. time to drop M$ idiocy and move to Linux.
>>
>>56182093
Good for you, I definitely met the laziest of the bunch. Everybody capable is either in consulting or specialized IT company, or at least that's how it is where I work.
>>
>>56180980
>tfw I disabled automatic updates after installing Windows 7 years ago
>>
>>56182289
Don't ever install office.

I found out the hard way that as soon as you install it, the office installer flips automatic updates right back on. Learned from that mistake.
>>
>>56180980
Good lunix music player recommendations?

Its the only thing holding me back from going back to linux.
>>
>>56182364
http://beebom.com/linux-music-player-apps/
>>
>>56182364
Quodlibet if you can stand the gtk3 smell. Otherwise Clementine.
>>
File: darksaten.gif (3MB, 360x200px) Image search: [Google]
darksaten.gif
3MB, 360x200px
>mfw macfaggots have mpre control than winpajeets
>>
>>56181851
>worrying about getting virus
>having to defrag HDD
#justwindowsthings
>>
>>56182482
Poo in the loo, GNU/Pajeet.
>>
>>56182477
>>56182478
Thanks /g/oys
Clementine Ive used before,never knew it was multi-platform.
Neat
>>
File: 1471191022029.jpg (194KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1471191022029.jpg
194KB, 640x800px
>>56182573
>implying windows isn't literally made by indians
>>
>>56182607
Nice meme
>>
File: reasons_to_use_linux#4.jpg (82KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
reasons_to_use_linux#4.jpg
82KB, 1024x768px
>>56182607
$0.30 have been deposited into your bank account, GNU/Pajeet.
>>
>>56181313
I've always been a MS fanboy and I'm using W10 right now but jesus christ I don't think I can deal with this bullshit anymore.

I think I'm going to install Linux and call it a day. I don't trust MS or the government with all this information.

Making expansive lists is the first step before tyrannical governments kick in. Bolsheveks had gigantic lists of names and when they got power they went and killed everyone on those lists.
>>
>>56180980
how do you even know when it's updating? cause I get no notification like I did in windows 7
>>
File: 1469018259252.png (661KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1469018259252.png
661KB, 1366x768px
>>56182642
Thanks POOtella
>>
File: aids.jpg (40KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
aids.jpg
40KB, 400x300px
>>56182573
>>56182642
>constipated MS pajeet
>>
>>56182750
Did you know that Bolsheveks were mostly Jews?
>>
>>56182786
S-shut up goy. Remember the 9 gorillion.
>>
>>56182786
Yes. And jews have a strange neurophathy/mental illness where they feel the need to make lists of people who criticize them. An ADL branch in 1993 was busted by the LAPD for having a 10,000 number list of people that they wanted to literally kill and or financially ruin

Can't wait until Pakistan goes rogue and nukes Israel 2bh
>>
>>56182786
Oy Vey, shut it down goy.
>>
Im jewish
>>
>>56180980
Shit. Are they trying to kill Windows intentionally?
>>
>>56180980
>>Administrators for Window 7 and Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise editions attached to an update server will get a few more options as they can independently manage whether security or feature-based rollups are installed, but Home users are out of luck.

What about Ultimate users?
>>
>>56180980
I assume you can bypass this nonsense with windows server pushed updates?

as in the windows server can dictate specific updates to install to all machines on the network as per usual, otherwise this is going to be a massive fucking shit show.
>>
>>56184544
ultimate ranks above pro I don't see why it wouldn't fall into the same category
>>
thank fuck i decided to dual boot into linux.

dont keep anything except games on wangblows 10 anymore everything else is seperate now
>>
>>56184565
According to the article WSUS only gives you the option to do all security updates, all optional updates, or both.

So basically they're fucking everyone over, even enterprise.
>>
MS make a great OS, I don't mind being part of their botnet desu
>>
>"Windows 10 best Windows ever."
>"Botnet is all just hype."
>Now this.
I fucking disown you shitbags for life.I hate you more than Loonix Cucks right now!
>>
>>56184649
that shits not gonna fly, you know who this is going to completely fuck over?

Hospitals, in the U.S. they have a thing called HIPAA, it flatly states that you must keep your systems up to date with the newest security updates.

well now if MS pushes an update rollup that breaks shit you can't just avoid the one, you have to wait a whole month before you're compliant, if it even gets fixed.

That's a $50k a day fine for non-compliance
>>
>>56184699
>MS make a great OS

It's not as good as Linux
>>
fuck this shit, I'm making a backup image and wiping my windows partition
>>
>>56184752
Yeah, I know. MS is making a lot of retarded decisions lately, so I fully expect them to go forward with this despite any complaints.
>>
So if I have updates turned completely off will I be forced into installing this bullshit?
>>
>>56184911
yes
>>
>>56181116
>updating your windows

wat
>>
>>56184752
Medical devices should not be running Windows. Such fines would be just.
>>
>>56185324
maybe on the backend, but I know Kaiser is running windows
>>
>>56181512
If you're all for the "muh vidya", then use GPU passthrough through kvm and qemu.

Yes, you'll be technically running Windows for games, but inside a severely sandboxed environment only used for games. Pretty much 95% native performance, with a difference of about 5-7 FPS on games. Well worth a look. Think about it, when you want to play a game, you start up your VM, play the game, and turn it off when you're done. No dual booting. No bullshit Windows boot manager. GNU/Linux on the metal, and Windows only running high up when necessary.
>>
Why would you use updates?
>>
Just use Win 10 Enterprise LTSB (Bonus for N version with no media stuff, skype, edge, etc pre installed.)

After a bit of config tweaking you can disable prettymuch everything like cortana, telemetery, updates.

Only got around to installing it a few weeks ago and its been fucking brilliant. Its the cleanest feeling windows install i've had in for ever.
>>
>>56185547
I'd do that if not for the need for 2 GPUs.
>>
>>56186525
Just use your internal GPU. It is more than powerful enough to handle most tasks.

If you need a secondary dedicated GPU, then just buy a cheap one or use one you have laying around. It doesn't need to be the same brand, it doesn't need to be 1080 or 470. It can be an old GTX 260 or something from eight years ago.

I think you'll be fine with the internal GPU.
>>
>>56185792
I tried going for that, but hit a wall when trying to install the Anniversary update that came out recently. Nothing would work, so I went with the pro edition instead and messed with the group policies best I could
>>
>>56186727
Pro is still botnetted.
LTSB suffers from a security risk by never or hardly ever getting updated but you should be using a secure environment to run it anyways.

Sandboxing inside VMs is standard security practice.
>>
>>56182289
4 years strong here.
>>
>>56180980
WAKE ME UP
>>
>>56185324
Ten minutes into an MRI and it force reboots to update

guys, would bill gates have allowed this if he were still running the show?
>>
>Administrators for Window 7 and Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise editions attached to an update server will get a few more options as they can independently manage whether security or feature-based rollups are installed, but Home users are out of luck.
So its basically nothing except for all the retards on /g/ who cant figure out how to run WSUS or SCCM, which is like 99% of this board.
>>
>>56181884
>he still uses images
laughing sluts

>I dont know how to setup an Unattend.txt file
>>
File: 1469541793499.png (405KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1469541793499.png
405KB, 512x512px
This is a good thread to ask. Thanks to Microsoft retarded ideas, i plan to do this in the future https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4; the sad part is that i'm a total noob at this computing stuff. For now i plan to dual boot. So my question is:

¿is there a way to "suspend" Linux when i go to Windows so i don't lose any data (and viceversa)?
>>
>>56186661
But I'd want to game on Linux normally, and fire up a VM for the few games that don't work.
>>
>>56187162
Suspend Linux? Lose data? If you're using GPU passthrough Linux will be running at the bottom, while Windows runs in a virtual machine with your GPU jacked into it. You won't lose any data whatsoever. You use the same operating systems at the same time.
>>
>>56181851
https://a.pomf.cat/hrfcdh.webm
>>
>>56187640
every time
>>
>>56185547
How does this work with World of Warcraft, Overwatch or other multiplayer games? How does it affect to network and input latency?

Sounds very interesting but I'm not sure if i want to test it with my GTX 1080 and i7-6700k now.

I hate Win10 and I can absolutely see where it is going - it is going to be a service, a literal paid window sitting on your computer. You own the hardware but everything else is owned and accessed by microshit. They will introduce encrypted application installs etc etc, windows 10 will be more and more totally closed black box controlled only by Microsoft and not by the end user. You as user will pay for a license to access microsoft on your hardware. It is invasive.
>>
>>56188205
I do it with a pair of GTX 980s on ESXi 6 U2 and dont notice any problems if I sent the VM's latency sensitivity to high and reserve 100% of the allocated CPU and memory to the VM.
>>
>>56188266
Thank's I will investigate this matter further.

What microsoft is trying to now do is to make windows such a closed platform as for example sony's operating system of ps4 is. Nothing is really under the user's control anymore. For consoles that is obviously good thing but for computers it is not. I wonder where are all the lawsuits regarding windows 10 and microsoft already? Didn't they already ended up in court about that monopoly thing and that's pretty minor right.
>>
>>56182320
Can't turn on what you turned off in msconfig ▶ service list.
If you're going to turn off automatic updates, might as well turn off the entire damn thing.
>>
>>56187140
Great. Now how do I install the 28GB of other business software on 250 machines?

Or, right, I use a fucking image.
>>
>>56188354
>I wonder where are all the lawsuits regarding windows 10 and microsoft already?
What tort did they commit?
>>
File: gnu linux and windows - PC.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
gnu linux and windows - PC.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>56188354
Learn GPU passthrough.
A Jewish woman already sued and won over Microsoft when her Windows 10 install failed to restore the backup windows 7 after she downgraded to 10.
>>
>>56188443
>Learn GPU passthrough.
>Learn
You act like clicking a couple buttons is a skill.
>>
>>56188354
>Nothing is really under the user's control anymore.

As a long-time desktop Windows software engineer, this is wonderful news. Except that they surely won't do it for "enterprise" customers, which means I still have to write software that supports arbitrary combinations of retardedly old software.

As a user, I hate it, of course. But as a SE I love it.
>>
>>56188505
As a user, it pisses me off
What's the point of installing antivirus if there is no way to deactivate the vanilla Defender? It automatically turns itself back on ten minutes later. There is no fix for that. Microsoft is trying to go Apple on us, and treat everyone like a fucking moron.

It will suck in the end for them. many of their developers and interns are kids and adults who abused the shitty XP and 95 loopholes to push the limits. Now its become a "oh it looks like you have a blue screen but you're probably too retarded to look up the error" and "you retarded faggot why are you turning off Microsoft tracking

Even Xbox comes on preinstalled and automatically runs itself in the background monitoring you. its like we just became a puppet

I can't wait until Haiku and Zorin take the market
>>
>>56180980
Is this the new 'Windows 7, 10 whatever is the greatest OS ever. Prove me. Protip you can't' thread?
>>
>>56190277
I'm curious what /g/ thinks of ReactOS. it calls itself a Unix XP
>>
Sounds great to me, I already only get system updates once a month via WU.

If you have a serious mental illness that means you cannot handle updates like regular people then you're more than welcome to move to GNU/Linux.
>>
oh my fucking god microsoft, what the hell are you doing ?
>>
>>56190310
ReactOS is stalled in duplicate the Window 2000 API and infrastructure.
When they are ready with that, we will be using Midori.
>>
>>56185254
Ikr.
Idiots keep leaving it enabled then bitching on g about it
>>
>>56188467
>implying your average winbabbie aka 99% of /g/ is able to do it
>>
File: 1297826353952.jpg (38KB, 449x600px) Image search: [Google]
1297826353952.jpg
38KB, 449x600px
@56190310
thanks for your post
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.