[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RFID execute commands on touch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: RFID-Tag-Blue.jpg (29KB, 280x266px) Image search: [Google]
RFID-Tag-Blue.jpg
29KB, 280x266px
RFID is a new field for me, to give you the basic gist of it, All I want to do it make it so when I tap an rfid card to a reader attached to my pc, it executes a program on the spot. The end goal is I want to make an emulator machine in which each RFID tag has a shortcut to the rom on the internal hardrive, so when I want to play a game I tap the card and it loads. I don't need a full blown tutorial, but I could use any resources you guys have that would help me get this implemented, the emulator machine itself is practically done, but as of now I have no idea how to implement this rfid system.. ./r/ gave me nadda, so any resources at all would be greatly appreciated..
>>
Does your motherboard have any gpio pins?
>>
>>56169881
no it does not, The rfid device i was going to use was actually connected via usb.
>>
>>56170026
You're going to need software to listen for the rfid reader over USB then. I doubt there's any general usb-rfid to arbitrary-system-action control software, and if you were capable of writing your own you wouldn't be asking here. So I imagine your only real option is to either spend a long time learning to program for the sake of this one specific project (which is in general a terrible idea and usually ends horribly), or pay someone to do it for you.
>>
>>56170096
Would it be easier to make use of a microcontroller to listen to the RFID and then send commands via serial over USB to a waiting application?
>>
>>56170199
Do you have the software for that either?
>>
>>56170096
Learning to program for a specific project is the best idea in my opinion.

A lot of people learn to code with no real goal in mind. If you have an end game you will be more inclined to stick with it and learn something
>>
>>56169842
Why rfid? It would be easier and cheaper just to scan barcodes.
>>
>>56170096
>>56170222
I see, so basically I should start working on learning how to make RFID software to read it this way, if its going to be like that, I may switch my platform to a linux/arduino based project since its probably easier to code for than a pc..

>>56170236
In the end, I want to be able to have the cards on display in a card case and it just wouldn't look as cool with barcodes, RFID is still pretty inexpensive, the reader is about $10-20 and the cards if I buy on alibaba I can get like 500 for $40
>>
>>56170222
People who learn to program just to complete a specific project generally have no passion for programming itself, and just spend the minimum time necessary to construct a really shitty but technically working version of the product they had in mind at the beginning. They don't learn good practices, they don't go in depth of anything, and they're generally disheartened that they put so much work into something that turned out shit. The last one is because they conflate learning programming and the programming itself, since they were just doing them both to complete a specific task, and then they think programming is really unrewarding because they've put in a lot more effort than it should take to complete a simple product (because they were also learning a skill) and the end result was still shit (because they haven't learned much yet).

Meanwhile programmers who learn programming for its own sake are more attached to the skill than the software they write for the learning experience. They're the ones who end up getting good and writing things they can actually be proud of.
>>
>>56170323
What's a good book for C stuff? I think that's where I want to be headed right now.
>>
>>56170529
I don't know. I didn't learn C with a book, so I'm not going to pretend I somehow know what book out of any number of books is the best or even good.

But getting the best book isn't the important thing. You need something to guide you in the right direction, something to use as reference, and something to do for practice. Any book can guide you through the basics, google works as a fine reference if your book is lacking, and coming up with random projects or working through lists of them is good for practice. I went through a lot of the project euler problems when I was learning, but a lot more variety than that is necessary.

Basically don't worry too much about the book and don't let it be your only - or even primary - resource.
Just come up with some task, and learn to recognize when the ways you know how to accomplish some subproblem probably aren't the best ways, and then go search for a better way. If you can do that, you can quickly excel.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.