[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should i be worried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: thermaltake.jpg (106KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
thermaltake.jpg
106KB, 600x580px
I was using my pc and i had a sudden power outage, the pc has booted up, all fans are working, no overheating anywhere, should i be worried, can it damage anything seriously
i have this PSU
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002713
>>
>>56165231
Kill yourself
>>
>>56165231
>I was using my pc and i had a sudden power outage,
Get a surge suppressor

> the pc has booted up, all fans are working, no overheating anywhere,
Get a surge suppressor

>should i be worried, can it damage anything seriously
Get a surge suppressor

>i have this PSU
You put several hundreds, if not thousands of dollars into your computer but cheaped out on a 50 fucking dollar fucking surge fucking suppressor.

No, that fuse on your power is not a surge suppressor. This is :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017VXT1E4
>>
>>56165315
They have them at Home fucking Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tripp-Lite-Spike-Cube-1-Outlet-Direct-Plug-In-600-Joules-Surge-Suppressor-SPIKECUBE/203139343
>>
>>56165231
Cum on psu op.
>>
>>56165380
its inside case
>>
>>56165380
I cum on psu

It whirr at me
>>
>>56165231
Power outages don't hurt PCs. Sometimes the things that cause outages do. 999 times out of a 1000 it's something harmless like a line getting knocked down.

If your computer still works you're good.
>>
>>56165482
If your computer wasn't going to work, it wouldn't work. It's not like an engine, where it can still technically work, but eventually die if something was messed up.

If it's running, it's fine.
>>
>>56165231
I've had plenty of power outages while my PC has been on. Nothing has only happened to my computer.
>>
>>56165231
if it works it's not broken
>>
shit thread
>>
>>56165629
its my first build and i have an incredibly horrible track record with keeping stuff working
>>
>>56165231
Sudden power loss can fuck up SSDs. if you don't have one you should be fine. But yeah, get a power supply that isn't some shit brand, cheap PSUs will always fuck you eventually. And maybe get a surge suppressor like anon said.
>>
>>56165857
i have an ssd but the os is on it and it seems to be working good
>>
>>56165315
It's really ok to use something like this? won't it diminish my psu performance??
>>
>>56166009
Are you trolling? A surge suppressor would have no relation to the amount of power the PC is drawing. A PC only draws the power that it needs, regardless of the PSU strength.
>>
>>56165315
It's called a surge protector you dumbass. But you're right. First thing I got when I bought a new pc last month was a surge protector.
>>
>>56166009
You better be trolling.
>>
>>56165529
>If your computer wasn't going to work, it wouldn't work. It's not like an engine, where it can still technically work, but eventually die if something was messed up.

i've recovered from hard drives shitting themselves and making a loud grinding sound as the platters screech to a halt and the pc hangs and gives a hdd related blue screen.

And then after rebooting the same hdd works for a year.
>>
>>56166489
...you trusted it??!
>>
>>56166537
Always bet on seagate.
>>
>>56165273
fpbp
>>
Change the motherboard battery
>>
>>56166594
After several decades as a sysadmin, I've come to realize that you either use Western Digital or you lose your data.
>>
>>56165231
end thyself if you think your first simple power outage can do much harm
>>
>>56167179
A simple power outage can be accompanied by one or more low voltage and over voltage spikes, especially when the power comes back on. These could trivially destroy a PSU and the PC attached to it.
>>
>>56167428
Not in a house with modern wiring, though.
>>
>>56167164
Last time i checked it was "Molex to sata, lose your data"
>>
File: l7PL1Fu.gif (158KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
l7PL1Fu.gif
158KB, 200x200px
>>56165433
>>
>>56168671
I've seen power spikes caused by restored power take out entire power centers. Yes, also the UPS. Yes, also the backup UPS. A multi-million dollar colo-center shutdown. It was fun watching the guys from APC, Hydro QC and Catapillar discussing who and why it all fucked up. At 3 AM.
>>
>>56169124
By "power center" I mean "data center".
>>
>>56165231
Surge Protectors are fucking worthless, any surge that actually trips it is going to be so large that it will destroy your shit regardless.

The only real way to protect your PC from a surge is to use a UPS battery backup. They are a good idea anyways, they keep your PC from dropping out during a small flickering of your lights
>>
>>56168671
Whut? Flickering power, by itself, can destroy shit. Learn about inductance and it's effects on all of those little coils of wire in your PSU. Hit a powersupply with enough spikes and it will die. Surge protectors should be replaced if they've been "hit" a few times, too. They weaken with every strike and there's no sure fire way of telling when they'll stop working.
>>
>>56169179
Guess what is in a UPS that will protect your gear for surges.

Protip :A SURGE FUCKING SUPPRESSOR.
>>
>>56169220
You are right!
It IS a surge protector!

The only difference is that it is an active line conditioner. It takes every little ripple, every surge and drop (that is ignored by a regular surge protector) and evens it out for clean power to your PSU.
When you do get hit with a real surge (one that would trip a regular surge protector), the huge shunts inside of your UPS take the brunt of the force.

If for some reason the much higher quality surge suppression in the UPS fails, it goes directly into the battery and dies there.
Yep, if a very rare catastrophic failure happens its going to destroy a 25$ battery while keeping your computer completely safe.

Ill keep using my UPS, which will keep my PSU happy with clean power. You keep pretending your surge protector is doing jack shit for you.
>>
>>56169284
I doubt consumer grade APC or TrippLite UPSes have much better suppressors then consumer grade APC or TrippLite surge suppressors. 90% of the cost of an UPS is the battery.
>>
>>56169284
>You keep pretending your surge protector is doing jack shit for you.
You are confusing an inline fuse with a surge protector.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.