[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quantum computing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: quantum-computing.jpg (179KB, 660x469px) Image search: [Google]
quantum-computing.jpg
179KB, 660x469px
What sort of computational problems would even require a quantum computer?

We got to the moon with a pocket calculator. Are there any real world applications for quantum computers besides good graphics in video games?
>>
>>56159060
Cryptography, data retrieval, quantum simulation, AI, weather modelling, I can go on. I suggest you actually look into it more.
>>
>>56159060
i have no fucking idea how quantum computers would work so no idea but i heard they would be a step up in cryptography because they'd be able to brute force faster
>>
Research superposition and the qubit. If you understand quantum physics on a small level you should be able to answer the question yourself.
>>
Youll be able to simulate shit to the quantum level apparently. Which will making finding vaccines, and creating new generations of batteries, fusion plants, comoiter chips, and other potentially disruptive technologies much more easier. TLDR it will speed up the progress of technology and medicine.
It wont be useful for the average pleb.
>>
>>56159060
quantum computing is a meme
>>
>>56159060
AI
>>
>>56159060
>he thinks quantum computing is intended for video games
Why does /v/ always have to shit up this board?
>>
Waifus.
>>
NSA already uses it to decrypt any message
>>
>>56159060
Physicsfag here, wrote a masters thesis on the subject. Ask me anything.

The key advantage of quantum computers imho is that they have primitive operations that would require exponential time and space to simulate on a classical computer.

Basically, while bits on a computer are just data and will give you the same value regardless of how you'd measure them, qbits are "interactive", and different choices of measurements can give different results. You can use this in algorithms, and it allows you to use funky operations like the fourier transform of an integer.

This leads to very weird consequences. For example, searching for a particular value in an unsorted array would be O(N) classically, but a quantum computer can do it in O(sqrt(N)) time using Grover's algorithm. Sorting is still O(N log(N) ) at best though.

Then there are a class of algorithms that are fast because of the "fourier transform of integer" operation that I mentioned. This makes it easy to check if some function on the integers is periodic. Integer factorization can be reduced to this which leads to Shor's algorithm for factorizing integers.

Really though, quantum computer are roughly in the same state now as classical computers were in 1910, when it was a toss whether they'd be best implemented mechanically or electronically. In other words, they've been theorized for half a century and people have written long algorithms for them, but big engineering advances need to be made to scale them beyond a handful of bits.

In particular, to run arbitrary long algorithms they desperately need error correcting codes, which require quite a lot of overhead. Thus, don't trust anyone who tells you that a 100 qbit computer can outperform a classical computer with gigabits of memory. On the other hand , if you could scale up a quantum computer to 100 kqb sizes and up, I think that there are a lot of applications that they could find. But they are not near-term by any means.
>>
>>56159060
unoptimized PC ports
>>
>>56159060
Prime factors of very large numbers.
>>
>>56161573
kek
>>
To run Minecraft at 288fps, 8k, with 10 mods
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.