[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad PSU?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (911KB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
911KB, 3024x3024px
Hi guys, so my PC started behaving a bit strange.

On cold boots it would refuse to post, or half post and die. On one occasion I got into Windows and the system hung.

The strange thing is this issue will rectify itself if turned off for a few minutes then trying again.

I initially thought ram could be a culprit so I ran memtest when the PSU was in a working state and it came back passed with no errors.

I then got a PSU tester which revealed that the Power Good signal was outputting only 10ms, which should be 100ms or greater from my initial research. Sure enough after waiting a couple minutes and booting again the PSU tester registered 300ms for Power Good, which would be normal.

Im now wondering if this is enough to determine a faulty PSU or if the local grid may be at fault or overloaded at peak times (PSU gasping for air on first few boots).

The other figures are within the manuals tolerance.

Thoughts guys? I'm pulling my fucking hair out.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>56157912
Change the battery on the mobo.
>>
>>56157940

Shouldn't have anything to do with it considering the PSU tester noticed the issue without the mobo connected
>>
>>56157920

Cheers cunt
>>
>>56157912
Add a capacitor to the PG line.
>>
>>56158037
Dude. You found the problem, then shitposted a thread, you're not going to get a serious answer.
>>
>>56158085

M8ey leave my shitposting out of this what if my electrical company is jewing me with dirty power
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Status update:
5v rail is fluctuating to 4.9v and PG after being left off for a while has returned to a low value.
>>
>>56158076

Ok where do I buy a capacitor to solder in
>>
>>56158135
>what if my electrical company is jewing me with dirty power
then you should be checking your outlets not your PSU

Or you could just buy a UPS or power conditioner.
>>
File: connector_atx_pinout.gif (21KB, 458x414px) Image search: [Google]
connector_atx_pinout.gif
21KB, 458x414px
>>56158182
4.9v isn't a worry at all, lines can fluctuate by +/-0.3 quite happily.

>>56158197
Just jam the positive leg in the back of the PWR_OK pin and the negative leg in COM next door.
I would recommend buying a pack of capacitors of various values off amazon or a local electrical store. The higher the capacity of the cap the longer it will take to pass power through it, so the later the signal will arrive, so start small. ATX spec says anywhere between 100ms and 500ms is considered normal.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.