[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

gentoo is pretty awesome

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Hey /g/,

So, last weekend I managed to break my slackware install by upgrading from 14.1 to 14.2. I then decided to try installing gentoo.

I know you guys say "install gentoo" as a meme, but I actually find that it's a pretty nice distro. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of everything, but it's very nice. I think I like it more than slackware.
>>
>>56154108
It may be a meme but I mean it every time
>>
>>56154108
It's neat to play around with, but gets tiresome after awhile. Wait until you run into a circular dependency.
>>
>>56154108
I've actually been extremely interested in Gentoo lately, but I'm afraid of it, too. I only have experience using Debian on and off for like a week now, getting ready for the full eventual switch-over, but some things make me want to go away from it.

The thing I'm wary of about Gentoo is maintaining and having to compile everything you use. That sounds like a nightmare on a weaker system like mine. And the fact that one misstep can break everything, I guess.
>>
>>56154128
Yeah, I'm sure that there are many hurdles I'll have to climb. I was reading tonight that if I run into a circular dependency, that's a bug in the package's ebuild. idk, we'll see.

>>56154147
Yeah, this isn't the first time I tried installing gentoo, but it's the first time I actually succeeded. The first time I tried was in university and all I had was some AMD laptop. Things took forever to compile so I kind of just gave up. But now, I'm running on a i5-6500 and it's very manageable. webkit took a really long time to build.

I'm still trying to figure out the maintenance right now. Nightly, I'm running `emerge --sync && emerge -a --deep @world` then a `emerge -a --depclean`. Basically, I'm just updating packages nightly.
>>
>>56154147
Grab stage3 for install. Start sshd on the install machine. Log in on a different machine and have the Gentoo handbook open in a browser while you do everything remotely. Compiling makes it sound difficult, but portage greatly simplifies things. When it comes time to compile the kernel, use genkernel. It's spoonfed unlike menuconfig where you can spend hours sifting through every kernel option and get into trouble if you're not sure what you're doing.
tl:dr if you can read, you can do it mane
>>
>>56154270
No no no, I'm not afraid of the installation process.
I'm afraid of what comes after. I have the time to compile kernel and stuff like, it's one time after all.
But compiling everything I want to install, as well as having to worry about things like use flags and dependency problems really makes me shiver. I tend to install/uninstall a lot of stuff.

Thanks though. I'll keep that in mind if I plan on following through.
>>
>>56154199
>I was reading tonight that if I run into a circular dependency, that's a bug in the package's ebuild. idk, we'll see.

To sum things up, it's what happens when you need a tool to compile a program, but you can't compile the tool without the program. This was my Eurika moment when I realized what could possibly go wrong. This shouldn't stop you from giving Gentoo a go. If you are a tinkerer, this and Funtoo are your distros.
>>
>>56154295
You shouldn't have to worry about dependencies. Portage should fetch them. As far as use flags go, most stuff will compile without adding additional flags.
>>
>>56154312
Man, how and why is that ever a thing??
>>
>>56154369
It rarely is, but it can happen. This is when having compiled binaries available for download is nice, which Gentoo has.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.