[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intel sockets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: Core_2_Quad_logo.jpg (187KB, 1685x2085px) Image search: [Google]
Core_2_Quad_logo.jpg
187KB, 1685x2085px
Is Intel really creating many many sockets just to earn more money? After integrating the FSB in the CPU, the number of incompatible and near-exact sockets don't stop to rise. I can't even be sure that one i3 is compatible with another i3, as there are revisions of the socket, and they change 1 or 5 pins... The CPUs have the same name "i3", but each one is from different generations, and so the number of CPUs for the socket is limited, as it's already obsolete. Also, the CPUs are having some kind of DRM chip inside, network control chip, and Intel helped create the UEFI monster....

This makes me sad. I tried to keep my old PCs, but couldn't, as they were old and stopped working. I don't want to use UEFI, I don't want to have CPUs with sockets already obsolete. Is AMD doing the same thing? How will I be able to compute in the future, chinese "brands"??
>>
Yeah, they change sockets to make money. There are some socket adaptors that cover some pins allowing it to work with a board it wasn't intended for. They are based in Israel and they are Jews what the hell do you expect? Unfortunately they are the fastest thing on the market too.
>>
>>56146135
>They are based in Israel and they are Jews what the hell do you expect?
What? I didn't knew that!

>Unfortunately they are the fastest thing on the market too.
I don't care about being the fastest, I'm not Sonic. Sonic is blue, Robotnik is red. So should I choose AMD?
>>
>>56146135
>They are based in Israel and they are Jews what the hell do you expect?
See:
>Intel Corporation (better known as Intel, stylized as intel) is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Santa Clara, California.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel
>>
>>56145996
Most of the time the changes to socket design actually are necessary. Changes to power delivery, grounds, or IO for new features almost always demand a new pinout. If you wanted to put in the effort the package could be designed with stop gap measures, but ultimately if you don't design a socket to be future proof theres not a lot you can do.

I suppose lack of supplemental unused pins is a way to force new socket changes now that I think about it. Add unused pins for power and signaling to the socket and design the chip around them. Might be more complicated though. I couldn't say definitively. Signaling was never my thing.

>>56146135
>>56147066
Intel isn't based in Israel, though a bunch of founding members were Jews. Also the company logo and signature colors are taken from the Israeli flag. Allegedly.
>>
>>56147204
>Most of the time the changes to socket design actually are necessary.
So, how can AMD still use AM3/AM3+ since 2009 and Intel can't stop creating new sockets?

1150, 1151, 1555, 1156. Really?
>>
>>56145996
>After integrating the FSB in the CPU
>>
>>56148504
The package for Zambezi/Vishera was designed around the AM3 socket. The difference of a couple pins between AM3 and AM3+ only restricts a couple tertiary features.
In short AMD had to go out of their way to make sure their new chips were compatible with older boards. Undoubtedly because they knew they needed to soften the blow of a poor performing upgrade.
>>
>>56148573
I don't know if the changes between AM3 and AM3+ are useless, but it's one change in years, and Intel created 1150, 1151, 1555, 1156. Plus, Intel sockets are not retro-compatibles. AM3+ can use AM3 CPUs easily.
>>
>>56145996
>The CPUs have the same name "i3", but each one is from different generations

Because the name indicates the market segment:
3 = entry level.
5 = mid range.
7 = high end.

Other companies like BMW and Nikon use them same system.
>>
>>56148728
No.
>generations

I mean i3 first generation, i3 second generation, ... i3 eleventh generation. They are not compatible between themselves.
>>
>>56148504
Fairly sure AMD just lacks the resources to design a new socket every couple of years.

Intel sells far more CPU's, so refreshing the socket every generation doesn't cut into their expenses so much.
>>
>>56148753
Yes, and?

Like I tried to explain: "i3" isn't a product name, it just means "entry level".
Intel could switch to ARM architecture and still come out with an "i3"
>>
>>56148817
That's strange, because it does not make clear different i3s are incompatible.
>>
>>56145996
>Is Intel really creating many many sockets just to earn more money?
Newer cpus are electrically not compatible with old motherboards. And is it not intentional its how electronics works. If you want make thing faster you need to ditch slowest interface/module and replace it with new one.
They make 3 versions of DMI.
Moved integrated memory controller in cpu
Moved graphics to cpu
Tried to move vrm to cpu
Upgraded ddr2 to 4
>AMD sockets last longer
Yes, because the sell you architecturally same shit for years.
>>
>>56148660
>but it's one change in years,
Socket FM1, FM2, FM2+ again, and we have Carrizo as FP3 only because continually changing hardware can't be utilized by the old socket.
The latest APUs have three separate voltages now, CPU, NB, and IGP are all independent. Prior chips only had two. Making that change meant it needed a new pinout. Thats the reason why Carrizo on FM2+ in the Athlon X4 845 has no IGP. It couldn't power it even if they wanted to.

Significant hardware changes require a new socket until you're intentionally limiting your design to work with an old spec.
>>
>>56148845
Why would they be compatible if they aren't the same product line?
>>
>>56148778
So AMD is better because it's poor, right?
>>
>>56148887
How to discover the product line, by microarchitecture + socket names?
>>
>>56148923
yes
>>
>>56147204
>what is merom
>what is yonah
>what is intel haifa team
>>
>>56148869
I prefer what does not have planned obsolescence. And you?
>>
>>56148817
i3 is not entry level. The entry level CPUs are still called Celerons.
>>
>>56149031
True, but that's just for Pajeets.

I don't think they even sell Celerons in 1st world countries.
>>
>>56148878
>Socket FM1, FM2, FM2+ again
All of them are before 2009. From there until today, only AM3 and AM3+. This year, AM4 will be released.
>>
>>56149079
They still sell dual core pentiums. I haven't seen a celeron though outside of some cheap prebuilt.
>>
>>56149079
>1st world countries
Hello. I'm OP and I don't live on a first world country. But not India either.
>>
>>56149140
>FM1
>FM2
>FM2+
>mobile FP3
>before 2009

Why do you children even come here?
>>
>>56149079
japs_unironically_benchmarking_new_penitums.webm
>>
Intel had LGA 2011 for 3 years straight and now have LGA 2011-3 for another 4.

poorfag pajeets stay mad, yeah
>>
>>56149198
Sorry, I didn't knew these. Why would anyone use an APU on a desktop computer? I have one, but on my netbook. In this case, it reduces power consumption, but why use it on a desktop??
>>
>>56149233
>Different variants (or generations) of the LGA 2011 socket and associated CPUs come with different ILM keying, which makes it possible to install CPUs only into generation-matching sockets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011#GENERATIONS

Great retrocompatibility!
>>
>>56149268
Because poverty and escapism.
>>
>>56149415
>escapism
Please explain.
>>
>>56149443
>can barely afford food
>wow life sucks
>wish i could play video games...
and the unhealthy cycle continues
>>
>>56149617
go out and get a job or at least sing up for foodstamps n' shit, pendejo
>>
File: 2ab.gif (60KB, 466x367px) Image search: [Google]
2ab.gif
60KB, 466x367px
>>56147066
>>Unfortunately they are the fastest thing on the market too.
>I don't care about being the fastest, I'm not Sonic. Sonic is blue, Robotnik is red. So should I choose AMD?

Fucking kekd
>>
>>56148778
This

Also GlobalFoundries is fucking trash as well
>>
>>56151543
>GlobalFoundries is fucking trash
Please explain.
>>
>>56148504
AM1, FM1, FM2, FM2+, AM3, AM3+. Really?
>>
>>56152747
FMs are for APUs. See: >>56149268
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.