[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to the future?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 03-4-3-SWB_v1.jpg.rr.1920.MED.jpg (235KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
03-4-3-SWB_v1.jpg.rr.1920.MED.jpg
235KB, 1920x1440px
Why didn't we get the fantastic future we were promised?

In 1962, it was possible for the President of the United States to stand in front of the nation and say 'we choose to go to the moon!' - and for the nation to deliver it 7 years later. At that moment, the future felt limitless.

But today, the US cannot even send a man into low earth orbit without relying on Russian technology (itself a 1960s relic), and has no capacity at all to put a man on the moon, let alone anywhere further afield.

50 years ago, people were told that by now we would be living in underwater cities, driving flying cars and having vacations on the moon - or even Mars.

Instead, when we go on vacation in 2016, we still often board Boeing 747s - a plane designed before the invention of the pocket calculator, and which first flew in 1969 - BEFORE that moon landing. We don't even have supersonic airliners anymore - which we did have in 1976.

We were promised by President Nixon in 1971 that cancer would be cured by the time of the US bicentennial. It didn't happen.

We were told we were entering the Atomic Age - that by the year 2000, a thousand nuclear reactors would be powering America. But today, the US has only 100 nuclear reactors.

What happened? Why didn't that bright future materialise? And how can we go back and rediscover that bright future that we all want?
>>
>>56139203
What do you mean? India is sending a man to Mars before 2020.
>>
>>56139203
materials technology hasn't scaled with computation power
the economics of space are not there for private business on a large scale, and the cold war is over

just generally, problems that we thought would be easy turned out hard, and market forces have worked against many goals.
>>
>>56139203
our newfound alien technology only took us so far. blame the aliens for leaving us. also blame them for not telling us the dangers of becoming slaves to new technology. we dun goofed big and now we all just inhale large amounts of media to distract us from our impending doom because we refuse to change and unite under a common goal.

i'm not calling myself smart but i hate that i'm smart enough to see us running like lemmings towards obvious destruction.
>>
>>56139203
why would you do this
>>56138970
>>
>>56139361

It's both a question of technology and politics; have we failed to deliver that great future because it's too hard - or impossible - to create the technology, or because we've run out of political will; that people no longer believe that the future can be radically better than the present, so they are willing to settle for only cosmetic or incremental improvements?

It seemed like it deserved to be on both boards, because it seemed that there was unlikely to be a significant discussion of technology on /pol/ or a significant discussion of politics on /g/.
>>
>>56139469
it's twice on the same board, man.
>>
>>56139482

Oh.

That was because I noticed a typo; 1961 instead of 1962.

I had clicked 'delete'. Not sure what that's still doing there.
>>
I remember all them ""futurists"" promising people they'll work, like, 3 hours a week and live in prosperity. The 21st century reality is that the same people are working longer and longer (hours and time before retirement) and shit's more expensive.
Where are my automatons filling out the forms goddamnit!?
>>
>>56139528
you could have just posted a correction afterwards
>>
Back then it wasn't just some guy who ranted on twitter, it was backed financially.
There was money to hire a lot of scientists to work together on a single project.
That's how we got the bomb, that's how we got to the moon.

That's how companies work.
What we need is to take a chunk of the military budget and spend it on scientists, so we can make ridiculous things that makes people dream again.
I don't care if it is robots or space travel, but we need to do more.
>>
>spending trillions of dollars over decades for useless wars
>not spending it on health and science tech

There u go lol. Oh ya America is like $14 trillion in debt right now and the only reason no one cares is because well just Bomb or invade you if u try to do anything about it lol
>>
>>56139551
>work 3 hours a week
Sounds horrible.
Rather work 60 than 3.
>>
>>56139601
Thanks to the bots the short working week could arrive rather soon. If you work 3 hours, what would you do with the rest in a post scarcity world?

I would probably go back into research. Pay was too low to call it a "job".
>>
>>56140619
3 hour a week "work" to sustain yourself, everything else to """self improve""", pursue interests, chill out or whatever you feel like.
Nigga, it's the future.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.