[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MIPS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: mips by imagination technologies.jpg (195KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
mips by imagination technologies.jpg
195KB, 1300x1300px
>not a single licensee for MIPS Warrior P-series cores, ImgTec's hope for competing in the smartphone SoC space
>largest MIPS licensee, Qualcomm Atheros, decide to use ARM in its next-gen wireless router chips

Is MIPS kill?
>>
It's royalty free and open source, isn't it? So how could it ever be kill? There will always be applications for a truly free chip.
>>
MIPS has been dead for more than a decade
>>
>>56136757
>It's royalty free and open source

Haha, no.
>>
>tfw can't find a Lemote Yeeloong
>tfw even harder to find their mini ITX motherboard
I just want a modern MIPS machine that isn't an SBC
>>
Mips is now owned by a chinese company and sells most of their chips in china for phones there. They have the full backing of the chink government and are selling chips like fucking hotcakes to a fat bitches.

They'll be alright
>>
>>56136757
I'm pretty sure the only CPU arch that fits that description is RISC-V, and that's not even out yet I believe.
>>
>>56136849
>Mips is now owned by a chinese company

No, it's owned by Imagination Technologies Ltd (ImgTec), which is based in the U.K.
>>
Yeah, it's basically dead for new applications.
Any modern wins of MIPS will basically be confined to Russian and Chinese state/military purposes where they still haven't heard of RISC-V.
>>
>>56136849
No it's not.
>>
What will they do when Apple eventually drops them or squeezes them so hard they make nothing from iDevices.

No one likes working with them, they won't even provide linux drivers to companies that bought SoCs with their GPUs through official channels. Odroid shipped an exynos based SBC with an imgtec gpu, Imgtec even posted about it on their website boasting 3d performance and openCL, I don't know what happened but the drivers never came and the company that makes the odroids now hates imgtec and won't touch a SoC with their GPUs ever again.
>>
>>56137636
Link to the Odroid hating Imgtec story?
>>
>>56138075
The imgtec article is still up.
https://imgtec.com/blog/hardkernel-releases-odroid-xu-development-board-with-a-powervr-sgx544mp3-gpu/

The odroid devs never said what the issue was due to NDA but linux drivers were not possible after many months of work. While devices with mali were no problem.

If I had to guess imgtec gave them binary blobs with poor documentation and they were to broken to be used for anything. They probably refused to give them source access even under NDA or fix the drivers themselves. I think someone hacked the android driver to get some 3d but it basically left their flagship SBC unable to do 3d in linux despite imgtec promising opengl and opencl.
>>
>>56136853
OpenCores has close implementations.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.