[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Passwords

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: dnc_usernames_and_passwords.jpg (183KB, 766x879px) Image search: [Google]
dnc_usernames_and_passwords.jpg
183KB, 766x879px
How do you go about making your password(s) fully secure? I know some websites offer suggestions like adding 1 number but what do you do?

Bare minimum or extra mile?
>>
>>56136638
>domainmonthofmybirthcreatorofdomain"+"anameofabook
>>
Use a password manager.
>>
use a password manager, or

use a word dictionary with N entries, generate K random numbers in the range of N such that log2(N^K) > 40 or ideally more, and then memorize the resulting funny phrase
>>
Two factor token authentication.

You pop out your android phone and generate a token that's required to login.
>>
Password manager ofc
>>
>>56136638
Password manager is the only way you're going to remember enough secure passwords for all the accounts you probably have.
Preferably on an airgapped box or on a secureish Linux box you use solely for this purpose
>>
passwords aren't secure period so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>56137261
Depends on what protocol they are used for.

If were talking about website logins then your at the mercy of whomever runs the server, But something like SSH keys or maybe a personal server at home it would be impossible to brute a 10+ character alpha numeric + special char password in a practical length of time.
>>
>>56137261
This

But for most normie stuff, you're protecting against either a) social engineering, b) guessing, or c) brute force. Not being a retard can only carry you so far.

A good trick I learned is using an easy to remember phrase, and sprinkling in numbers and/or symbols.

"Fuck 0ff, you n1gg3r!!1"

Easy to remember, easy to type.
>>
>>56137343
Why would you do this? Replacing letters with numbers makes it harder to type, and brute force tools will also attempt these replacements. Why not just lose the numbers and keep the length?
>>
>>56137423
I didn't think tools would use replacements.

I mean, unless you're trying to protect against the NSA, you're right.
>>
>>56137343
Profanities are extremely common in passwords, numbers as letters as well. Every password cracker worth his salt would break this password.

And remember, you are most likely not protecting yourself from someone targeting just you. The most realistic scenario is that hacker gets access to some password hashes database and tries to brute force as many passwords as he can. Therefero it's not unreasonable to think that he will run his cracking program for days, if not weeks, and will try all these kinds of combinations.

This password is not horrible, but not exactly secure either.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.