[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I get a GTX 960 for my rig? A 1060?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: geforce-gtx-960-style1.png (180KB, 652x378px) Image search: [Google]
geforce-gtx-960-style1.png
180KB, 652x378px
What's up /g/ and miscellaneous hackers.

I've concluded that my GTX 760 is broken, so now I'm in need of a replacement. Since the performance per price has obviously increased a bit since I got the 760 (as well as games becoming more demanding), I'm looking to get something better, but probably around the same price range as 760 was when it came out/was new. I've been looking at the 960. Someone suggested that I get the 1060 instead. What should I get, /wsr/? One of these? Some other one?

I'm looking to be able to play newer games like GTA: V and Just Cause 3 at decent-looking settings (medium or something?) while hopefully getting close to 144 FPS (as is the rate of my monitor) (though I guess anything over 60 would be playable). I suspect my budget might be too low for 144 FPS but tell me.

Do you think I could at least stay over 144 FPS consistently in Battlefield 3 or GTA: IV?

Anyway, what follows is my setup, only including those parts that I thought would be of importance. I removed all prices since these are the parts that I already have.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pnVPVY

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-17 09:38 EDT-0400

Thanks for reading!
>>
Oh, and: resolution: 1920*1080.
>>
>>56126564
The 960 is not very good and is not a big leap from the 760. Do not get one.
>>
>>56126564
My system is pretty similar to your build and I have a 960. Runs GTA V, Arma 3, Overwatch at solid 60-70 on High.
>>
960 is barely an improvement over the 760, in fact it's generally weaker than even a 770. Go for the 1060, much more noticeable performance increase and low power draw.
>>
get 1060
>>
>>56126624
>>56126633
It's not meant as an upgrade so much as a "repair" since currently I don't have any decent GPU at all, so I'm more concerned about just getting performance for the money (because I don't want to waste money, obviously). However based on these posts it seems 960 would still not be my choice then.

>>56126624
>>56126633
>>56126638
Are you just comparing the 1060 to the 960, or would you say that 1060 really is the *best* option to choose here?
>>
>>56126698
Well I'm pretty much just suggesting moving up to the current gen but staying in the midrange -60 series like you were. I also run a 760 and will be moving up to a 1060, play mostly FPS games at 144fps and go for mid-high graphics settings.
>>
>>56126719
Excellent! Thanks!
>>
the 1060 is defintely worth the extra cost.
>>
>>56126564
>960
no need to buy one when 950 can OC to 960 levels with no problem while 960 doesn't OC for shit.
>>
I have a 960, it's good enough to play most games on high at 1080p as long as you don't jack AA all the way up.

It is a last gen card though, and buying one today would be a waste of money. I would recommend a 1060. If you can't afford the $330 on a double fan cooler, then get the $250 single fan cooler. They're fairly easy to get now if you keep an eye on the nowinstock site.

The RX 480 would be a decent alternative, except they're impossible to get because the memecoin miners are snatching them all up as soon as they go in stock. I'm pretty sure they have scripts set up to buy them, so don't even waste your time trying to get one. I know because I've spent the last few weeks trying to buy one, and I gave up. I'll probably buy a single fan 1060 soon.
>>
amd is the best and cheap
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.