[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what the fuck are we supposed to do now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: yik-yak-web-logo.jpg (365KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
yik-yak-web-logo.jpg
365KB, 1920x1080px
So what the fuck are we supposed to do now?
>>
>>56120146
Context?
>>
>>56120214
Yik Yak was a mobile anonymous Twitter-like message board where you talk to people around you. Was targeted toward college students.

Used to be 99% anonymous but then they started recommending people add a phone number. Then they required a phone number. Then they required you make a username (which you could disable for posting if you wanted to). Then they added profiles.

Today they decided that now handles are permanent (muh community :^) and the only reason for the app's existence is completely eroded away.
>>
>>56120355
Christ. I guess things will go back to _University_ Secretys with anonymous forms
>>
>>56120355
Shouldn't be too hard to make an alternative.
>>
Not use garbage apps
>>
>>56120419
It required a bit of upkeep. A lot of campuses have a dedicated Yik-Yak guy and it took a good deal of shilling to get to where they are.
>>
>>56120419
There's a ton of alternatives already. Jodel is one that I downloaded already, looks like it's brand new and exactly like Yik Yak. Just need to get the word out and get people to jump ship.
>>
>>56120540
Cheers mate, I was hoping somebody on /g/ would know of an alternative or two. I have no idea why these people had to take the app full normie in the first place, its basically just worse Twitter now.
>Just need to get the word out and get people to jump ship.
I'm thinking this is going to be the hardest part, but if the people on yak right now are all sincerely upset as they say they are, shilling it there might be enough to do the trick.
>>
>>56120744
I saw at least one other person using Jodel in my herd (by the way, my herd is fucking gone for some reason, along with my entire account, so I'm stuck peeking at my own campus), so maybe there's some hope. I'll definitely be shilling it when I can.

For now I've forcibly downgraded my app and I'm waiting to get back to campus so I can start spreading the word.
>>
>>56120355
They were probably being pressured by LEA's to add that stuff because people were making threats to college campuses
>>
>>56120881
Why wouldn't they just be content with tying posts to specific identities? Yikyak always knew who was posting what. It didn't matter if your handle was on or off (I'd imagine, anyway) because what you posted was still tied to you. Why would LEAs give a shit about permanently-public handles if the private handles would work just as well for tracking threats?
>>
I liked the ideas of being anonymous but talking to normies, I've used it close to 3 years. The direction they have taken really is a shame.

They were worried of cyber bullying and shit. Full of sjw programmers.

Something else will come up though
>>
>>56120881
They were definitely able to track people down without permanent handles, they'd done it before. They're just desperate to make something of their declining app so now they want everyone to "connect with each other :)" and "discover local yakkers in your area!!!!"
>>
>>56120935
Honestly, wouldn't forcing motherfuckers to always have the same identity make it HARDER to avoid cyberbullying?

Before, Billy the Bullied could just go Anon and nobody would know shit about who's posting, but now he can't escape the people who would follow him on yikyak and call him a faggot in literally every thread he posts in or makes because he's got a fucking nametag on.

The worst part is, you're probably right. They're probably intent on forcing that behavior into the open so they can ban the people who do it, as though that level of micromanagement were feasible. How can these people have it so backwards?
>>
I used to post things like

"I love calling the police on parties. If I smell marijuana or hear loud music I am calling the police"

I would post stuff like that and get 100 plus replies from people calling me a faggot and what not. It was hilarious
>>
>>56120979
Was the app really declining though? I guess I never really heard anything about it.

I kind of expected it to. It seemed like a trendy thing, another app for people to use before it fell to the wayside, but I never really saw anything to indicate that that was what was happening.
>>
I haven't seen anyone mention this: they also removed My Herd too. So now any commuter college's feed will be dead over breaks if they're not dead from forced handles. They also added some feature that recommends people to talk with that I accidentally opted into for 5 seconds.
YikYak was a really good way to do casual conversation with those in my school without the burden of getting to know someone. Now it's dead and I'm betting that they're going to be stubborn enough to let the app die entirely.

>>56121159
Yeah. People were half-and-half on handles because you could disable them, and most understood the phone number thing. Many were annoyed that the handle toggle defaulted to on, like me. Profiles led to some annoying tripfag-esque attention whores as well as mass downvotes for those people. Then this whole shit.
>>
>>56120931
>if the private handles would work just as well for tracking threat
Private handles would make LEAs have to go through Yik Yak (the company) to get information, where a public handle can be potentially correlated with someone without them having to contact Yik Yak in the first place.
>>
>>56121114
Got any scenarios screencaps?
>>
>>56120444
Didn't they also take out a rather large Series C round within the last six months? I doubt they can continue on the whole "killer app" fad for much longer.
>>
>>56121049
When you make a post that gets "flagged" as insulting it will ask if you're sure you want to post.

If you keep doing it you can be banned to my knowledge

And they perma ban numbers for it
>>
It really sucks, it was good fun at first.
>>
>>56120146
huh i never get the appeal of these things
>>
>>56121217
No this was like a year and a half ago so my old Yik Yak account is gone.
>>
>>56121250
I don't think that's true. It would flag the post to see if you were sure about posting it, but I don't think it would report it or anything unless somebody else told them to do so. Regardless, that has nothing to do with permanent-on IDs.
>>
>that one guy that would post 4chan meme on YikYak

I was that guy. Occasionally you would find someone that got the reference.
>>
>>56121207
>I haven't seen anyone mention this: they also removed My Herd too.
I just thought I wasn't understanding the UI or something. They straight up scrapped it? What's the fucking point of that? That was one of their best features by far.
>>
>>56121207
College campuses are no place for anonymous shitposting. You might trigger someone.
>>
>>56121503
I shit posted in my college campus library all the time though
>>
I don't know? Wait until October?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.