[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ruby on Rails

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: CDMbA57p.png (12KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
CDMbA57p.png
12KB, 512x512px
Is it worth learning in 2016?
>>
>>56111956

But what about performance and maintainability?
>>
>>56111975
It's good overall. Are there any specific aspects are you interested in hearing about? Ruby itself is pretty good language with a sane syntax, and the rails speeds up initial development of application, it's scalable too, there may be other frameworks that offer better scalability but RoR does what it was intended to do and does it well. The downside is that there aren't as many job opportunities as if you were PHP programmer.
>>
>>56112071

What are good resources to learn Rails if I already know Java/Python?
>>
>>56112404
Me personally started learning ruby on rails looking at 'rails for zombies' and 'rails4 outlaws' vidoe courses, given that I already knew and had experience with PHP and html/css/js. I am working purely at web development and don't know if java/python will give any bonus points in learning web technologies, the one thing I am sure about if you are familiar with programming it will be easier to understand the web applications architectures than if you were a beginner.
>>
>>56111927

Bumpino !
>>
>>56112404
why do you want to learn RoR if Django exists on Python?
>>
>>56113660

I like Python for being opinionated and "one true way". Django fails to live up to that.

In that way RoR is probably more Pythonic than Django.
>>
>>56112404

Well I like rails but there is nothing wrong with Django or Grails. But if you want to learn Rails:

First I'd say start with learning Ruby for a few days/weeks. Then learn a super simple Ruby framework like NanoC. Then you should try to understand Rack and Rake (rails uses them both) and then understand the basic folders of a new rails app. Then come back and ask again.

>>56113763

Interesting way to look at it..

But mind that Rails uses a DSL (domain spcific language). This mean you won't understand shit until you take a very deep dive into rails. Some guys are ok with this, others don't.
>>
>>56111975
Performance is good enough for anything other than muh millions of simultaneous requests. As for maintainability there isn't any secret, just make sure you keep your apps updated to the latest versions.
>>
File: 1471318055076.jpg (191KB, 892x621px) Image search: [Google]
1471318055076.jpg
191KB, 892x621px
>>56115245
> Writes backends that process 100 req/s per host.
> Performance!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.