[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resizing partitions on a duelboot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

Good day /g/

I know this isn't tech support, but if you would be gracious enough to point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.

I've recently upgraded my Thinkpad T430 from the stock 320GB HHD to a 1TB WD SSHD.

I duelboot Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint 18.

Used free version of Macrium Reflect to clone the old 320GB drive to the 1TB drive with a 1 to 1 clone. In the partition properties there was no option to grow the Windows partition, so I went ahead and cloned.

Installed the new drive into the T430 and she's started up exactly as expected, but now my problem is in resizing the partition of my Windows and Linux Installations.

Ideally I'd like to resize the Windows (C:/) partition to 980GB and resize the Linux Partitions (10.95GB) to 15GB, with the swap file getting the rest.

Booting into windows which I'm familiar with, I can't get an option to resize the C: partition, or any of the other partitions.

I also tried Paragon Partition Manager, but it seems to want to merge the free space in the Linux Partition with the Windows Partition.

Assistance with how or what software to use would be greatly appreciated.

Worst case, I can delete my Linux partitions and resize, but if possible I'd like to try and resize without redoing the Linux installation.

Thank you in advance /g/
Please have mercy on my soul ;_;
>>
File: 3U28KPN.png (99KB, 1380x1640px) Image search: [Google]
3U28KPN.png
99KB, 1380x1640px
Install gentoo and learn to google. Think before you act and post. If you wanted to expand, you should've done it beforehand.
>>
File: 1470119766680.jpg (84KB, 533x700px) Image search: [Google]
1470119766680.jpg
84KB, 533x700px
>>56110276
/Thread
>>
>duelboot
??
>>
>>56110276

Install gentoo meme is getting old. Also It's babby's first distro, so I'm still learning the ropes of Linux. I couldn't expand my 320GB drive partitions before cloning, and there was no option before cloning to resize. I really did check and not just pleb click next. If indeed the case, I guess I'll have to delete the Linux partitions and resize ;_;

>>56110296

When the pc starts up, the GRUB loader gives me the option of either booting into Windows, or into Linux Mint.
>>
>>56110218
use gparted on mint to resize partitions, it should come preinstalled or do sudo apt-get install gparted
>>
>>56110218
gparted
it may have a some annoying Gnome dependencies (can take a few extra MB), but it really is the best user friendly tool for resizing. This assumes the original partition structure supports resizing, which many do nowadays. If you don't have it "apt-get install gparted" or whatever variation of install you use for your linux distro.
>>
>>56110583
>>56110687

OP here.

Booted into Linux Mint, installed and checked. It doesn't allow me to resize my NTFS partition.

>Currently going another route.

Making a image of my Linux Partitions onto flash drive, and will delete them out of windows.

Then my unallocated space will be right next to my C:/ partition. I should be able to resize it then. Resize leaving around 20GB unallocated, and then restore the Mint to that.

>Thoughts???
>>
File: 1470121762359.jpg (182KB, 1000x938px) Image search: [Google]
1470121762359.jpg
182KB, 1000x938px
Bumping because I'm about to either fix of fuxx my installs.

>Three Mins mah nigga's
>>
OP's post is tldr but Minitool partition wizard can resize NTFS partitions.
>>
>>56110356t
that's called DUALboot. Duel means to have a one vs one competition, traditionally with pistols or swords.
>>
File: Repartitioned.png (53KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Repartitioned.png
53KB, 1600x900px
>>56111447
Thanks for the correction.

So, for tl;dr purposes:

>Imaged Linux Mint Partitions to USB
>Deleted from Partition table in Windows
>Resized C:/ partition to 900GB
>Restored Linux Mint Partitions in unallocated space

Should I edit something or will the GRUB2 loader automatically kick in and find the moved Linux Mint partitions?

>>When I reboot, is my computer going to fail?
>>
File: yourwaifu.jpg (55KB, 521x482px) Image search: [Google]
yourwaifu.jpg
55KB, 521x482px
>Probably last post from OP

GRUB2 boot to Linux failed. Gonna try reinstalling the GRUB2 via Linux Live CD.

Windows still boots, so I think I've just about done it.

Thanks for trying to help guize...for those that assisted.

...for the rest of you...

>I HOPE YOU LIKE HAVING YOUR WAIFU FUCKED IN HER VIRGIN HOLES!!111!1!1
>>
>>56111007
You should be able to resize Linux with gparted and resize windows with windows disk tool (or whatever they call it, just search "partition" that how I find it). between those two you should be able to shift one to make empty space, then shift the other to fill it.

But really I am big fan of fresh installs every time.

never mind sounds like you got it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.