[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newfag trash general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: dbf.png (438KB, 680x658px) Image search: [Google]
dbf.png
438KB, 680x658px
Newfag here, should I start with C or Python?
What books would you recommend?
>>
>>56108340
I suggest suicide.
>>
>>56108340
Depends on what you want to do. If you're gonna do things like arduinos and such (programming close to hardware) do C. For most other cases probably Python.

That being said, C is not that hard to learn and you can probably get the basics in a day, so you could do C and then Python. (Python is a huge language so it might be a bit easier to keep track of everything if you start with C. Also you'll know how things 'really' work if you do C first).

As for books, K&R is the ultimate C book. Make sure you get the most recent edition though, should be plenty of pdfs on the net.
With python I'm not so sure, but MIT uses 'Introduction to Computation and Programming Using Python' so I guess that will do.
>>
>>56108452
>K&R is the ultimate C book
It requires some knowledge about programming, so it's bad for OP.

OP, look around for some online course. I used codecademy back in the day, but now they seem to ask for a pro account even to get through the course. There should be some other site that can teach you this stuff though.
>>
File: CPAMA.jpg (164KB, 1430x2023px) Image search: [Google]
CPAMA.jpg
164KB, 1430x2023px
>>56108340
Learn C before Python. It's harder, but you'll be a better programmer. Think driving manual (C) vs automatic (Python). You get more control with C, but it's not as convenient.

Book: C Programming, A Modern Approach 2nd ed. by K. N. King

As >>56110598 says, K&R isn't made for beginners, it's very terse and meant to be an overview of C for already experienced programmers.

If you go through CPAMA, you'll have a pretty good understanding of C, and from there you can use that understanding to start your own projects. Also you'll be able to pick up most other languages (especially Python) with relative ease.
>>
C has tons of good intro books. Python has tons of me-too i-want-to-be-author cashgrab intro books written by mouthbreathers.
>>
>>56108452
>C is not that hard to learn and you can probably get the basics in a day
>K&R is the ultimate C book
>Make sure you get the most recent edition (from 1989)
Please ignore this retard NEET who has clearly never finished a programming project in his life
>>
>>56108406
Gun or hanging?
>>
>>56108340
JavaScript. It's the best language, and it's the future.
>>
>>56110848
this
>>
Not op but I'll want to thank you guys for these tips as for I am total nufag to programming and currently I'm learning java in a school.
>>
File: Louis-Rossmann-2.jpg (65KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Louis-Rossmann-2.jpg
65KB, 800x450px
>>56110848
Anyone have a link to this PDF?
>>
>>56110848
>Learn C before Python. It's harder, but you'll be a better programmer.
This is nonsensical. Your analogy of driving a car is neither especially compelling nor empirically justified. By the same anecdotal reasoning, it would make more sense to tell people to learn to drive in a car with automatic transition so they get a sense for the physical boundaries of a car (as opposed to a bicycle, for instance), and how to maneuver effectively, and *then* add on the complexity of shifting gears at the appropriate times.

I'm not even saying either argument makes much more sense than the other, but the idea of breaking the learning process into manageable chunks (rather than throwing the maximum amount of complexity at students from day 1) is as persuasive a logic as any.

If you can bring some evidence - even reasonably unscientific evidence - that people who learn C before Python become better programmers than those that learn Python before C, and if there's some reason to conclude that this is causal (and not that people who learned C first were largely among an earlier generation who generally went on to help *implement* CPython or some such confound), and especially if we can evaluate that evidence, then we can talk.

Otherwise, the "do the harder thing first or you won't be a real/good/legit programmer" argument smacks of some sort of hazing or boot camp mentality, and in either case that belongs with jarheads and the like.

OP, learn whichever language you can get a metaphorical foothold on. Generally, people seem to gravitate toward Python. the UC system, MIT, and a number of other top tier research universities (specifically in the US) have started to phase out Java in favor of Python as an introductory language. Any implication that the order you learn languages matters is at best unfounded and at worst that previously mentioned FUD/hazing nonsense.
>>
>>56111035
>This is nonsensical. Your analogy of driving a car is neither especially compelling nor empirically justified.
>I'm not even saying either argument makes much more sense than the other, but the idea of breaking the learning process into manageable chunks (rather than throwing the maximum amount of complexity at students from day 1) is as persuasive a logic as any.
>OP, learn whichever language you can get a metaphorical foothold on.

I am >>56110848 and I agree with pretty much everything you said. I recommended the book based on mostly personal, anecdotal experience. If Python is easier to learn and works for your use-case, then by all means learn it first and/or don't touch C.

However, I stand by my original point that learning C (whether first or later) will make you a "better programmer" because it gives you a better understanding of (and more control over) what the computer is doing at a lower level.
>>
>>56111035
I find your writing style to be pretty comfy anon.
>>
learnpythonthehardway.org
use this to learn syntax and basic Python (it's Python 2 but it works) then use that knowledge to self teach all the Python3 you want
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.