[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power Usage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: power-consumption.png (37KB, 760x487px) Image search: [Google]
power-consumption.png
37KB, 760x487px
Why do modern computers use so much power /g/?

Processing requires no actual "work" to be done right, because all that happens is the path of electrons changing?

Is it all just down to heat being lost in circuitry?

If this is the case does that mean that if we somehow managed to build a computer from superconducting components, we could perform an infinite amount of processing on it with no additional power draw without breaking the laws of physics?
>>
No.
>>
You should've finished highschool m8.
>>
Its 300w you stupid fuck, literally 3 old lightbulbs
>>
>>56108197
I have literally no idea what a transistor is: The Post
>>
>>56108512
>IIRC transistors create a short circuit fr a very small time when switching.

Nigger, no.
>>
>>56108520
Just looked it up. I dun goof'd.
>>
>>56108484
Why are transistors relevant? They don't transfer any electrical energy to useful work, they cause energy to be transferred to heat just like every other component.
>>
>>56108552
>why are these things that require power to switch and perform logic relevant to power consumption in switching logic

Are you fucking kidding?
>>
>>56108512
Uhhhhh no. Switching a transistor requires energy at the base/gate, much like an electro mechanical solenoid switch.
>>
>>56108577
>Is it all just down to heat being lost in circuitry?

>If this is the case does that mean that if we somehow managed to build a computer from superconducting components, we could perform an infinite amount of processing on it with no additional power draw without breaking the laws of physics?

Did you even read the OP? I know transistors waste energy as heat. I'm talking about superconducting components.
>>
>>56108636
>Why do modern computers use so much power /g/?
Very first sentence you ask a simple question, one amply demonstrating that you don't understand what a transistor is or how it operates.

>Processing requires no actual "work" to be done right, because all that happens is the path of electrons changing?
This only reinforces the notion of you being incredibly fucking retarded. Your assumption is entirely wrong, and continuing on based on it is absurd.

Transistors use power when switching. A transistor is a "gate" sitting atop a channel between a source and drain well. The channel is a specially doped segment of silicon with altered properties that allow the gate to allow or cease the flow of current through it. The gate controls this channel by altering its resistance when a voltage is applied. This operation requires energy. Chips with billions of transistors, like 600mm2 GPUs, end up using power directly proportional to their number of transistors multiplied by the power per transistor.

You very, very clearly didn't understand anything. You asked questions looking for clarification, unless you're too much of a shitbrained subhuman to even understand the questions you yourself wrote.
Do the world favor and get facefucked by a bus.
>>
>>56108746
Thanks for the reply anon. So does that mean because the physical state of the transistor is changing, energy is actually being transferred to useful work then?
>>
>>56108818
>So does that mean because the physical state of the transistor is changing
Its electrical resistance is changing.

>energy is actually being transferred to useful work then
No shit, moron. Why on earth did you ever think otherwise?
>>
>>56108818
You can't use superconductors and obtain 100% efficiency because transistors function by changing the resistance of the path such that the gate is open or closed. Mechanical work isnt done but change in resistance is and requires work. Stop saying "useful work", E&M are useful work too, although maybe not when you use the computer.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.