[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you enjoy Unix? (BSD, System V, etc)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: unix.jpg (196KB, 1022x519px) Image search: [Google]
unix.jpg
196KB, 1022x519px
Do you enjoy Unix? (BSD, System V, etc)
>>
>>56103749
for the original design principles? yes

for the abortion it has become in different derivatives? no, but I'm stuck with them
>>
>>56103955
that feel
>>
>>56103955
i wish we had something that was like the original but on steroids

we have plan 9 i guess, but it's just different enough to irritate the fuck out of me
>>
File: ggn.png (24KB, 300x326px) Image search: [Google]
ggn.png
24KB, 300x326px
>>56104133
it's too late, operating systems research has stagnated in the original direction UNIX was taking it

completely different world now.

"The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is its continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering gains made by the computer hardware industry."

— Henry Petroski
>>
>>56103749
I run Slowlaris for most of my server and development-related shit since all of my outward-facing boxes are SPARC systems and playing with exotic platforms is exciting.

Their CDE implementation is also god-tier despite the trashy web meme bullshit, if only I had a decent workstation to use it with.
>>
>>56105193
How much did the SPARC systems cost? Details on the excitement too.
>>
File: GWM-mainscreen.tif[1].gif (16KB, 429x417px) Image search: [Google]
GWM-mainscreen.tif[1].gif
16KB, 429x417px
>>56105312
Most I paid was I think $15 or $20, they're all US-II or older shitboxes but light on heat and power and fine as <5 user terminal servers and hosting an infrequently visited website.

SPARC shit is really cheap right now though, even eBay sellers are practically giving it away, you can get a loaded 8+ core T1/T2 rackmount with 32GB of DDR2 for like $200. Been interested in replacing my Fire v100 with an 8-core+16GB T1000 lately.

As far as the excitement thing, it's a thing of personal interest but it does have its differences, Solaris has a pretty excellent service management facility, as well as virtualization capabilities that I've never messed with since my hardware is ancient and I have no real need for it. On the desktop, there's of course CDE on 10 and older, which is enhanced with little things like GWM (pic related that can dock into the panel and replace the desktop buttons) that aren't found in the "vanilla" version you can build from source or find on other SysVs. Solaris 9/10 also ships with a tacky Java-fied GNOME 2 that I've grown rather fond of after a bit of customization.
>>
>>56105570
>$200 for an old ass computer with 1ghz
No thanks senpai, I think I'll stick to emulation.
>>
>>56105683
The fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>56105570
Ooh, that's an awesome price/performance ratio.
Hearing these details makes me feel warm inside.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.