[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VPS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: vps-hosting.png (57KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
vps-hosting.png
57KB, 256x256px
So if I use a cheap VPS as a seedbox and for torrents etc. and the Terms of Service states "No illegal downloads/uploads" how would they know exactly what I'm uploading? Would they really care either? I'm using private trackers btw.
>>
I'd personally just get a box at feral hosting if I was you. It depends on the Vps provider. What provider are you looking at?
>>
>>56103854
HostUS

https://hostus.us/terms-and-conditions.html

I mean I doubt they would really care unless they got an email

It's $1.33 a month
>>
>how would they know

they own the hardware and can easily run scripts looking for common movie/music/game/software titles in your network traffic or on your virtual filesystem. doubt they check, but anyone with your ip could report you as a tos violator.

>would they really care

maybe, maybe not. if you use encryption for all your torrent traffic (it's weak, but it's something) and an ipfilter.dat file to stop automated systems from pinging your host then you should be ok for a while. anything illegal has a downward success curve over time, but private trackers are obviously more secure than open torrenting.
>>
>>56103563
either by a manual report/abuse mail or if their automated monitoring system points to you so a tech checks out your box.

the provider doesnt give a rats ass what you are doing as long as you dont cause trouble for them.
>>
>>56103563
In torrents the jews keep tracking all the connected peers and if your VPS's IP happens to be one of them, they send an abuse email to them.
>>
>>56103563
>how would they know exactly what I'm uploading?
they'll receive a copyright complaint from the RIAA or MPAA or whomever. the VPS doesn't run a court; they don't need to *prove* anything to drop you. if they get a legitimate-looking DMCA complaint from a legit body, they'll have cause to drop you from their service. they don't need to prove it in a court. read your terms before you sign up with a VPS if your plan is to screw them like this, because chances are they've paid attorneys to give them escape hatches in case retards think they're clever enough to fool them.

>I'm using private trackers btw
i have a serious question about this:
why do you guys think private trackers are more secure/private/???

what did you do when you were getting into your private tracker that you think someone at the MPAA couldn't have done? did you send them a notarized affidavit saying you weren't affiliated with any copyright-enforcing organization or something?

there's nothing ensuring that private trackers don't have users affiliated with the RIAA or MPAA or whichever other org might want to send scary letters. these letters are not court orders; they're just scary-looking threats written on an attorney's letterhead. there's no binding legal weight to it, but it *is* enough to scare the shit out of a VPS provider and give them cause to drop you. you might be able to argue that if they don't restore your service you'll take them to court, but you had better have been seeding Ubuntu ISOs, because if you were genuinely in the wrong you'll just be putting yourself in front of the metaphorical firing squad.

i'm not saying that private trackers are no good, but this shield you think you have is nonexistent. Someone working for the RIAA could trivially pass the what.cd interview (hell, they could do it by reading the guide we've made).
>>
>>56105988
>common movie/music/game/software titles in your network traffic or on your virtual files

more likely they will run a script looking for Torrent Requests or torrent client files
>>
>>56106429
more likely they'll wait for someone to give them a DMCA complaint. anything more is just eagerness and resource-wasting on their part.

they have no incentive to be made aware of copyright violations before a formal complaint is made. they don't get anything extra from the DMCA safe harbor clause, it doesn't really save them all that much in traffic, etc...

you have to understand that a corporation is a lot like an organism. it's not going to waste energy doing more than is necessary to survive. if it's obligated to do something to avoid losing money or being sued, it'll do it, but it won't take initiative and do more unless there's some incentive to do more (like maintain some blue ribbon approval from someplace, as a totally made up example).
>>
>Private trackers
>Secure

Idiot.

Use a VPN that doesn't keep logs on home connections and check for leaks (DNS-leak, ipv6 leak. Seen so many retards go "HUH? WTF I GOT FOUND" yet have these leaks in their solutions), if you've automated your entire system, please make sure that the torrent program doesn't start up before the VPN does, those 1-2 seconds the torrent program uses your home IP is enough to infringe you (a lot of people just systemd their torrent daemons and doesn't think about their VPN solution not being the first program to start).

On seedbox/VPS solutions, don't interact with the site in any way (browsing/making account/whatever) without using a VPN. Pay with bitcoins.

If you don't do any of this yet think you are secure then you are deluding yourself.
>>
>>56106219
Does the MPAA even give a fuck about anything other than the pirate bay and kickass torrents?
>>
>>56106219
To much for little to gain.
Besides most seeders are seedboxes
>>
>>56106629
Or just use iptables to block the torrent port on for example, eth0 and allow it on tun0.
>>
>>56106685
Yes, that is a given.

Personally, I redirect all traffic from a specific user through the tun0 interface.

That way I can still access plex that I run on the same server since it doesn't go through the tun0.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.