[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learn C in under a month!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2

I am working my way through The C Programming Language, Second Edition (famously known as K&R). If anyone is interested, I think it would be a fun idea to start up an IRC and work together through the text.

We will be working at an accelerated pace to cover the 77 sections of the text, and we will be completing all exercises. Through the IRC, you can ask for help, compare answers, etc. I intend to complete the text in well under a month - I can work out a specific schedule if more individuals join.

Since the coverage will be accelerated, please only express interest if you can see yourself seriously completing the text in a month. If you're unexperienced with programming, you're still welcome to join, but you might find this experience challenging.

So, is anyone interested?
>>
I'm down
>>
>>56103221
dude we need voice chat, post a teamspeak ip
>>
You can read the book in under a week, idiot. I think I didn't even use all seven days.
>>
>>56103252
I don't think voice chat is necessary, but if you and some others would like it, I'm sure you could figure out a way to do it.

>>56103290
It's a good thing that I said "under a month" then.
>>
will it get me a job?
>>
>>56103406
Only you will get you a job, anon.
>>
I only read computer science books written by african americans
>>
I'm absolutely down

I just started browsing through it the other day and was doing some exercises and it seems like a really fucking solid book.

I plan on going through Understanding and Using C Pointers next
>>
Pro-tip: K&R is very outdated. No one writes C code like that anymore, because it's very unsafe.
>>
>>56103632
What do you recommend?
>>
>>56103632
It's a solid beginning book, but you're right about certain things being very unsafe - but any good compiler will warn you about those things (for instance, gets()). I'll be sure to emphasize that everyone should get up to speed with the latest standard when they are done.
>>
>>56103752
I'm interested, anon. I always wanted to learn to code - I work as a software test lead but the IEEE standards on QA and Test aren't exactly rigorous. I am willing to put in the work to make myself a more valuable person.

Approximately how many hours per day will be required to keep up with your pace? I am unfamiliar with the text.
>>
>>56103632
>K&R is very outdated. No one writes C code like that anymore

Got better, up-to-date leaching material?
>>
>tfw bought K&R
did i make a mistake
>>
>>56103903
For an Authentic copy, no, when the gov censors future versions you'll want an actual copy.
>>
>>56103221
does this book have python aswell?
>>
>>56103831
*teaching
>>
well where's the IRC
>>
>>56103221
Nope, fuck off.
>>
>>56103221
I'm game. Why not?
>>
IRC is #glearnsc on freenode.
>>
Here is the discord https://discord.gg/TfhGh
>>
>>56103417
>african americans
the correct term is 'people of color', shitlord
>>
>>56104061
The correct term is "Nigger" in America Pajeet
>>
>>56103951
did you read the title of the book? does it say 'python' on it?
>>
>>56103807 If you're generally interested with programming rather than specifically interested in C, there are better starting points than K&R.
K&R C might be worth coming to later, but I would start with Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs or Learning Python the Hard Way.
>>
>>56104044
Why not rizon? #4chan is already on rizon.
>>
>>56104248
>python the hard way
Literally fucking shit, are you retarded?
Zed Shaw is a babbling idiot.
>>
>>56104248
>Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
>beginner book
oh please, stop

i tried reading that once, and it was one of the most self-fellating pieces of literature ever, it'S all about why scheme sucks
>>
Jesus Christ newfags pls do not start with K&R. Install Gentoo first, learn to use emacs, THEN K&R.
>>
>>56104264
well shit im clearly falling asleep here, meant to say it's all about why scheme rocks
>>
>>56104264
>why scheme sucks
But that's heretical you chaos-faggot!
>>
File: LISP.png (28KB, 115x220px) Image search: [Google]
LISP.png
28KB, 115x220px
>>56104264
>>
>>56104272
>Install Gentoo first, learn to use emacs, THEN K&R.
(You)
>>
>>56104288
the reason why SICP is terrible as a beginner book is this: it's apparently a book for beginners, yet it goes into so many CS concepts that a beginner would NEVER be familiar with, while also telling you scheme rocks without exactly telling you why

it's just "better" and that's it
>>
>>56104305
>implying that isn't the best advice ITT
>>
>>56104259
I don't know if I'd go that far but LPTHW is still on Python 2 so
>>
>>56104307
>while also telling you scheme rocks without exactly telling you why
Scheme doesn't rock, but functional programming is nice to know.

>it's apparently a book for beginners,
>yet it goes into so many CS concepts that a beginner would NEVER be familiar with
And explains them quite well. That's a big part of why it's good.
>>
>>56104326
vi is better for C. Emacs is only okay for LISP
>>
>>56104272
I can tell that's supposed to be edgy and ironic, but that's kind of how I got started here. Trolled into all the dumb memes and I actually got a job out of it ~3 years later.
>>
>>56104377
Checked

Also congrats on autisming your way into a job.
>>
>>56103831
ANSI C
>>
There's nothing special about K&R, it's just the canonical C tutorial. Doing all of the exercises will not make you a professional C programmer. If you want to git gud at C you should continually reference the CERT standards and understand common pitfalls (e.g. struct padding and alignment that can bite you when you try to read or write a struct directly instead of properly serializing and deserializing its members).
>>
Do you people really need a whole month to complete a 200 page book?

Is this really what /g/ has become?
Also, I can't connect to irc.freenode.net at all.
>>
>>56104490
>ANSI C
elaborate, please.
>>
>>56104554
>can't connect
Many of us are doing just fine

>need a whole month
see >>56103327
>>
>>56104580
nvm i just fucked with my hostname settings

i recommend irssi for maximum epeen
>>
>>56104490
K&R second edition is written in ANSI C.

K&R is unsafe because it makes use of a lot of functions that cause overflows.
>>
>>56103632
>>56104593
Only a complete retard focuses on the deprecated functions used in K&R instead of looking at the bigger picture.
>>
>>56104536
Keep posting until I've gotten good.
>>56104554 yes
>>
>learning to program on /g/ with meme books
White people are seriously incomprehensible. Why don't you go to university? There are so many in your countries.
>>
>>56104729
Why are you assuming we are white? Are you some kind of disgusting racist?
>>
>>56104729
>going to university to learn programming

haha holy shit
>>
>>56104729
Maybe I don't want to go somewhere where people like you will only undermine people like me (white.)
>>
>>56104729
But university isn't affordable in the US.
>>
>>56104748
Go back to >>/pol/

>>56104753
What joke is this?

>>56104760
Indians are not undermining you.

>>56104837
Are you not given scholarships?
>>
>>56104861
Even the maximum amount of scholarships given to a person is not enough to make it affordable. Even with perfect test scores.
I want to move out of this country, since I don't want to become a wageslave and never have a PhD.
>>
>>56104880
How is this possible? My brother earned a PhD in your country without any expense to himself as a scholarship recipient and later a graduate assistant.

I believe you are a very dumb person who is not capable of achievement or you have been misinformed.
>>
>>56105090
PhDs are cheaper than bachelors degrees.
>>
>>56103290
>You can read the book in under a week
You can read pretty large books in under a week.

I think working through the exercises is kind of mandatory if you're learning, and some of those exercises can be really hard for beginners.
>>
>i want to talk about something i don't understand with other people who also don't understand it so we can all pretend like we understand it together
>>
>>56104366
>Emacs is only okay for LISP
Stupidity knows no bounds.

If you had even the smallest idea what you're talking about, you would know that Emacs has just as good support for C as Vi/m does. Both editors can handle any relevant programming language, especially when plugins/packages are involved.
>>
>>56105324
nvi doesn't support LISP autoindent
>>
>>56105324
You can use GNU Emacs pretty much like an IDE for emacs lisp out of the box.

But still, GNU Emacs should be just as good (if not better) as vi(m) for C and other languages.
>>
>>56105308
/thread
>>
if youre a complete beginner in programming, you wont be able to do it in a month, unless youre really good
at maths and algorithms, you'll be able to understand the logic of writing code, but writing in C can actually
be something else since there's actual computing concepts you need to understand to be proficient. after all
that, learn an api/library and work on a project. even if you do read the K&R within a month, you still cant
call yourself a C coder if youve never programmed before.

but seriously youre better off starting with python first, if youve never coded before.
>>
>>56103221
we should all post our steam ID's then when can use steam overlay to chat
>>
>>56105602
Finally good advice. Jesus /g/, you guys are serious dicks with a hard on for yourselves. How can you discourage anyone trying to learn or others like OP trying to set up a group to learn, let alone act like a pretentious piece of uptight shit?

No wonder you guys are autistic.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.