[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do i need anti virus if i never run anything i download? This

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1450704916407.jpg (50KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1450704916407.jpg
50KB, 500x500px
Do i need anti virus if i never run anything i download? This is with an adblocker on the browser.

Or can i be infected by the "site" itself. Thought you might be able to know.
>>
Depends, do you have Flash installed?
>>
No, antivirus is useless and causes more problems then it solves.

Yes you can be infected.

Stop using Windows.
>>
>>56095709
I uninstalled it long ago. I don't know how it works for browsers though if they have it in built.
>>
>>56095718
Ehh, Windows just works with everything. Linux just seems to be so messy for a pretty average user like me.
>>
>>56095718
Switch to a completly useless Os from the best one because it has a chance of getting viruses

Oh and say goodbye to your programs, games and usability

But hey, you can copy commands from tutorials on the net into the terminal!!!!!
>>
>>56095661
Common Sense + weekly/monthly mbam scan + Firewall is all you need.
>>
>>56096183
Is the vanilla Windows firewall enough?
>>
>>56095661
>never run anything i download
You're download and run unknown code all the time. It's called JavaScript. Also your operating system might be malware.
https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html
>>
>never run anything I download
That is most likely not true.
Take an jpeg.
To view it, you have to run an application on the data you downloaded.
If there is a flaw in the application, this might do something unexpected, and that could lead to code execution.
Same goes for any other kind of data.
Maybe you are just inserting it into a database, it still might be a problem.

>can I be infected by the "site" itself?
Yes, there are plugins to your browser which can access your system, even malicious javascript should be contained in the browser, but it is a local application which executes code, so you are running software.

As you scale down, it becomes harder and harder to get infected.
Eg, if you curl the site and view it as a text file, getting infected should be limited to curl and less.

I haven't used anti virus protection the past decade, but I keep looking at logs and activity, so I can see if something shouldn't be there.
I might have missed something, but if I have been exploited, it is not something that have impacted me in any way.
>>
>>56096120
Usability goes way up with Linux.
Shit hasn't been hard to use whatsoever since like 2006/7
>>
AV IS USELESS - ANYONE DEVELOPING MALWARE PROFESSIONALLY HAS THE OPTION TO TEST AGAINST ALL MAJOR AV VENDORS. THE ONLY WAY TO BE SAFE IS TO INSTALL QUBES
>>
do you guys dont use NoScript? one of the most important add-on for me beside AdBlock
>>
>>56096499
Too bad there are no programs for it :^}
>>
>>56096553
Isn't the chrome one a little bit wonky?
>>
>>56096857
dont know about that, i've been using Firefox my entire life
>>
>>56096857
use umatrix on chrome
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.