[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gentoo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1436754957080.jpg (258KB, 853x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1436754957080.jpg
258KB, 853x1280px
Does anyone here actually use Gentoo?
What are the advantages and disadvantages compared to other distros?
Is it a meme because it's good, or bad?
What do you use it for?

Thoughts on it?
>>
>Does anyone here actually use Gentoo?
Yes
>What are the advantages and disadvantages compared to other distros?
I like the packet management
>Is it a meme because it's good, or bad?
It's a meme because work you need to put to get it working is usually not worth it
>What do you use it for?
Daily OS, personal server, (production servers are using more saner distros)
>>
>>56092004
semon demon
e
m
o
n

d
e
m
o
n
>>
>>56092335
Do you like it?
>>
We use Gentoo at work, because all that mad fine tuning for our machines. It's as close as creating your own distro as possible.
>>
>>56092004
>Does anyone here actually use Gentoo?
I have used it for about 5 years.
>>56092004
>What are the advantages and disadvantages compared to other distros?
Gentoo is very easy. Building your own packages is more elaborate on most other distributions. Repositories AKA Portage Overlays are VERY EASY to set up.

USE flags do offer some flexibility but in reality most good distros just use split packages or different variants, like vim-nox and vim-full, or mtr and mtr-tiny.
If you really need to customize a package, you can just recompile it on your own with any distribution.

Gentoo takes a lot of time.
Gentoo does not have a supported long-term stable release for servers.
Gentoo on a server only makes sense if it's your hobby and you love investing time in it, or if you run hundreds or thousands of identical ones.

So you could still use it on your desktop but then you have to juggle two different distributions. Build packages for both. Deal with small differences. So I'm now using Debian, unstable on the desktop, stable on servers.

Gentoo is really good for learning the ropes but not ideal once you just want to get work done and not deal with your operating system.

I don't even change the wallpaper nowadays.

New to Linux and keen to learn? Install Gentoo, maybe Arch if you're lazy.
Want to get work done? CentOS and its derivatives, Debian and its derivatives or Alpine Linux for embedded applications and containers.
>>
some do. no idea why. it sort of fries up your cpu and is pointless. but if they enjoy it and it actually works. let it be
>>
>>56092746
This matches my experiences with Gentoo mostly. If you don't know if you need it then you don't need it.

>Alpine Linux
Why all the goddam kernel panic?

Debian unstable is ideal distro for desktop use imo
>>
>>56093579
>Why all the goddam kernel panic?
Not sure. I tried running an Alpine with Xorg in a VM briefly for 10 minutes and it didn't work out of the box.
I only use Alpine for containers that utilize the running host kernel.
>>
>>56092746
I actually know a lot of people who use Gentoo at work because they're free to use whatever they like. For the most part you are right, it doesn't really matter but, for us who are picky about what software we use Gentoo is very convenient. It's not all about the packages though. Gentoo offers all the flexibility without sacrificing support. "Anything you do on Gentoo I can do on my operating system." is just a meme. It's actually vice versa. Other distros don't offer Portage as an alternative to their Ports-like system but Gentoo on the other hand does offer more alternatives to Portage. I used Debian for over six years and it's good but it's really not that great. Gentoo is pretty much capable of anything.
>>
I use Gentoo because I'm picky about what software I use. I didn't really plan on sticking with it as long as I have. Other operating systems work fine while you're using them but once you become immersed in the world of Gentoo you realize that other operating systems completely fail in comparison to Gentoo capabilities.

>Install Gentoo
>You have to compile everything from source
These are just memes and anyone who actually looks down on Gentoo for it's power and freedom are always completely incompetent users.
>>
>>56094282
Assembly language is also very capable and a great learning experience.
However most software is not built with Assembly.
>>
>>56094396
>Analogies
I'm the kind of person who uses Python instead of C for general purpose. Gentoo is super fuckin' comfy, just like Python is.
>>
>>56092335
this is exactly what i was gonna post

>>56092464
its not bad
my setup is comfy to me
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.