[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /g/ hate Java?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: Java_logo.png (7KB, 259x259px) Image search: [Google]
Java_logo.png
7KB, 259x259px
Why does /g/ hate Java?
>>
Because le ebil Pajeets xD
>>
pajeet poopies use poopy java. poopy pajeets will never know how to fizzbuzz in non poopy language (c) like me
>>
>>56085047
because it is not 1337 haxx like C/C++

if you have a small team or alone and you want to develop anything other than a AAA video game, then Java is good.
>>
>>56085047
Because /g/ would rather their C/C# programming trap then an actual good language.
>>
>>56085047

I like it when I force myself to use new Java 7 and 8 features as much as possible.
>>
>>56085908
> This
Works well with the small team I'm with.
>>
/g/ hates it but most universities teach it as the primary language along with Python.
>>
>>56085047
>public static void boilerplate(String[] fuckThis){}
>overly complicated tooling (looking at you, maven
>single-handledly responsible for the proliferation of XML
>>
>>56085047
Because /g/ have never had to actually program and don't appreciate how nice it is to have garbage collection and lots of libraries.
>>
>>56086317
Python and Ruby are both GC'd languages and have a plethora of libraries.
>>
>>56085047
The official installer comes with malware
Meme language
>>
/g/ couldn't come up with a single legitimate reason against using java
>>
>>56085047
I don't hate Java. I like it and it works.

However, Java isn't the "one glove fits all" solution. It's good to know a mix of languages.
>>
>>56085908
>because it is not 1337 haxx like C/C++
What are you hacking?
>>
>>56085047
It's slow compared to C, OOP everything is a complete scam (obviously OOP has uses, but everything's a fucking class? JFC) , and learning to code using it makes programmers lazy and stupid because they don't understand how memory, garbage collection pointers, anything else works.
>>
>>56085047
Also, to clarify. "Full stack" web devs think that since the bullshit backend they do that I can do comatose works with python and java and other slow as shit languages their primitive minds can digest, it must be that way for everything else.

Try writing finance software or anything that involves computational complexity fgts. Matlab is faster than your java and python. Yes, really. Matlab. A retail program.

For real languages - C/C++. Fortran (yes that Fortran) is the only thing that beats it on speed on DFPA. For newer languages R's syntax is shit, but it's the fastest of the newer ones.
>>
File: Creepy-Condescending-Wonka.jpg (45KB, 550x545px) Image search: [Google]
Creepy-Condescending-Wonka.jpg
45KB, 550x545px
>>56085047
How's Java's Floating Point Performance again?
>>
>>56086218
They may as well go back to teaching Pascal.

I like Python because of the libraries (and django and NLTK), but it's so slow as to be virtually useless a lot of the time.
>>
>>56085047
Java got off on the right foot. It's integration of standard data types, Unicode character set, and large platform library saves it a lot of the headaches that previous languages struggled to have. Since the VM handles machine cross talk, devs don't have to deal with clunky shit like COM and/or CORBA.

The language itself is a bit clunky coming from C/C++ with all the reference antics.

Sun kept growing the libraries without a clear plan or architecture and it turned into a mess. Then Microsoft came along with C# and .NET and did was Sun was trying to do for over a decade.
>>
The Java APIs are too large to learn quickly these days for many people. It really is the way to go if you need to write a GUI application that will run on a platform other than your chosen work platform. For example, you can write apps that will run on Windows even though you never use Windows. It gets the job done in a very predictable clean way.
>>
>>56087051
And these apps will be slow as fuck.

You could, alternately, properly write your app natively.
>>
File: minecraft-11-535x535.png (196KB, 535x535px) Image search: [Google]
minecraft-11-535x535.png
196KB, 535x535px
>>56085908
>if you have a small team or alone and you want to develop anything other than a AAA video game

Could you elaborate on that last bit?

Pic related was developed using Java and fared extremely well.
>>
>>56087072
>And these apps will be slow as fuck.
Depends what you are writing. Honestly, I'd be more worried about memory usage than anything since Java is a beast in that respect.

>You could, alternately, properly write your app natively.
And you would have to do that for any OS you would expect your program to run on. The point that anon was making was that Java would allow you to run the same GUI on multiple OSs.
>>
>>56087164
it wasn't meant to be a AAA title and it technically started as a small-time indie game even though microsoft now owns it
>>
>>56086742
Don't forget Go
>>
>>56087164
Well of course Java game engines exist. There's LWJGL and jmonkeyengine (which uses LWJGL). However, you are limited to anything that can run the JVM. That's fine for PC but consoles, not so much.
>>
>>56086559
the planet
>>
>>56087164
Generally garbage collected languages are not optimal for AAA games since you cant really control when collector runs. So you have those annoying pauses and stuttering you must have experienced in minecraft. For small games its not a problem, it might even be better for first game.
>>
>>56086830
>utf-16
>can't change because muh backward compatibility

I just can't stop laughing. Java and Python are doomed to fail with their funny encoding choices.
>>
>>56086341
>Python and Ruby are both GC'd languages and have a plethora of libraries.

They are also dynamically typed pieces of shit with idiotic threading models.
>>
>>56085047
Because Java is the slowest language on the market; it's simply not usable for MVPs or time-constrained projects. It's the COBOL of the 21st century.

And it causes cancer.
>>
>>56088599

Don't be an idiot. The JVM is significantly faster than Python and Ruby.
>>
>>56088599
>Because Java is the slowest language on the market
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>56088599
>>56088666
And you could always use scala for nice syntax and fp. Say what you will about java but jvm is awesome.
>>
>>56087164
The performance is also fucking garbage.
>>
>>56087934
>>56089063
How come that never happened in Runescape?
Lag of any kind only ever happened due to network issues
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.