[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is some technology that is holding back technology?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: 1452303252661.jpg (138KB, 652x648px) Image search: [Google]
1452303252661.jpg
138KB, 652x648px
What is some technology that is holding back technology?
>>
>>56083241
CPUs

GPUs are just faster at everything
>>
Macbooks
>>
>>56083241
everything you like that I don't like

>>56083292
floating point math is irrelevant for the majority of home computing tasks other than gaymes
>>
>>56083241
OLD PEOPLE ARE HOLDING THE WORLD BACK, BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT CHANGE.
>>
>>56083342
Every time I Hear that a baby boomer has died, I rejoice.
>>
>>56083311
Or highly complex science calculations
>>
>>56083311
why does /g/ hate games so much?
>>
x86
>>
>>56083370
autism mostly. /g/ is one of the most (Clinically) Autistic boards on the site.
>>
>>56083241
web anything
>>
>>56083380

THIS
>>
>>56083366
which doesn't fall into the home use category by a long shot

>>56083370
never said gaymes were shit, just that they're one of the most FP heavy tasks you can do at home

also you fucking children turn this place into a pleb fest and I wish you would all shut the fuck up
>>
dual-cores and ddr3
>>
Apple memes
The Cloud
Patented stuff
>>
>>56083399

That's not true you need to take that back
>>
>>56083307
This

By 2020 there won't be upgradeable laptops and everyone would have the USB-C
>>
>>56083412

>home use category

OP didn't specify home use my friend
>>
power limitations

AMD not actually being smart and letting Intel get away with "special" k processors and Nvidia gimping there old cards
>>
>>56083450
we're already almost there. Haswell Generation Might've been a huge meme, but it was legitimately the last series of laptop CPU's we'll see that isn't soldered.
>>
>>56083241
Oh my god that is horrific
>>
Windows, this >>56083380 and communist licenses like GPL.
>>
>>56083292
>GPUs are just faster at everything
No they aren't.

>>56083311
>floating point math
GPUs are also great at some integer math. It's a matter of how the problem is structured, not whether it's integer or floating point.
>>
Flash
>>
>>56083241
windows
>>
>>56083370
Because /v/ is cancer.
>>
the rapid expansion in computing power
in a world where the average person has around 4gb of ram to work with, not only have inneficient development practices been allowed to slide by, but it's encouraged inneficient languages and development """standards"""
oh and closed source anti freedom bullshit
>>
>>56083439
>Patented stuff
/thread
>>
>>56083241

Batteries. We need better batteries.

>tfw no week of battery life
>>
>>56083399
that probably belongs to /tv/
>>
>>56083370
Because Gentoo doesn't run AAA games, so /g/ is butthurt. But, at the same time, they won't install Windows back because of their autism.
>>
>>56083241
NTFS
Samba
Basically every proprietary standard that is competing against a better free standard and is winning simply because it's on OS that just werk.
>>
>>56083241
AMD
>>
>>56083241
C and C-like syntax. It's development is horrifically slow, and I can't wait it's gonna be replaced by a modern language. Like, rust. Or something similar. I simply do not understand the praises it's getting. It's unsafe, makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot, and the development cycles are loooooooong.
Ok, it COULD have place in unimportant embedded device development. But nothing in the world should allow that language to come close to any security feature. Memory mismanagement cases are found every n months. Integer overflows and shit are everyday business... This needs to stop.
>>
>>56083361

I know this feel.
>>
>>56083241
social media
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.