[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Petty Ebay Buying/Selling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: brokenmac.jpg (48KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
brokenmac.jpg
48KB, 800x600px
Anyone ever make any money buying old computers and refurbishing them, and reselling for profit?

i.e. Buying a Macbook Pro with a broken screen, replacing the screen yourself, upgrading to SSD, and reselling for a profit?

How stupid of a way of making money on the side is this?
>>
File: 1470880403989.png (418KB, 592x812px) Image search: [Google]
1470880403989.png
418KB, 592x812px
>>56082947
Usually not worth it since the screen will probably cost you more than the computer itself. If it's an easy fix and you can already diagnose a solution before buying the item, then go ahead.
>>
ultrabooks, tablets, and phones have gotten very difficult to work on at home in the last few years.

>inb4 b-but i replaced muh ipad screen that one time
>>
>>56082947
I do, because I work at a computer shop where I can sell the machines to stupid people for 50% more than they'd pay on eBay/Craigslist.
>>
>>56082947
>repairing Macs
You'll spend so much on the parts and broken machine that you won't be able to compete with the massive resellers on Ebay who can afford to buy shit in bulk to cut costs.

>repairing anything that isn't a Mac
Normies won't buy it because they don't want refurb shit, and most other people won't offer you enough to recoup the investment on parts and hardware.
>>
i guess its worth it if you can get those parts at wholesale prices.
>>
>>56083098
>If it's an easy fix
If it was an easy fix, why didn't the seller get it done before he sold it?
>>
>>56085602
considering most people who do anything are to stupid to do anything
replacing your cars air filter is one of the easiest things you can possibly do but everyone pays 2-3x what it costs because theyre too stupid/lazy
>>
in a small city so not too many opportunities like this available, however a few businesses I worked with threw out several printers which at worst had spent toner carts, and I sold them locally to friends of friends for some profit. Best for laptops is the screen and in rare cases the whole housing as a package, nothing else is really worth it. You will sometimes find government organizations throwing out fleets of 3 year old laptops. Even in my best year I only made $2000 out of this, but it was easy and mindless work of just "sure I'll take it", 5 minutes of putting it on ebay, then waiting a week for a sale.

If you want to make money off this and have the time during business hours, call up businesses and say you are running a professional recycling service. Rich people would look at it as a service of taking it off the property, you would then keep anything valuable and take the rest to a recycling center. That's the only real way you're going to get your hands on any of their stuff before they call those places themselves.
>>
>>56085628
The point is that they get it done.
If the laptop is worth buying to be repaired you'd be a fool to sell it without repairing it first.
>>
My MacBook Pro actually just died. Costs $300 to fix it lol. That's more than it's worth working (it's 2008 first unibody).

im putting that $300 towards a PC and converting to master race now. This is the 2nd time in 2 years this shit broke.
>>
It doesn't sound like it's worth the investment. You might end up just breaking even at best, or in the red at worst.

There is probably something else that's wrong with it too. Normies treat their computers like shit.

Now on the other hand, if you could acquire a lot of used, but still usable Macs from a business in a bulk deal, then you could possibly make some money refurbishing them and selling them for a small profit.
>>
eBay and PayPal will take nearly 20% of the sale in fees, it's almost impossible to sell at a profit there unless you get things at wholesale or free.
>>
>>56086869
You overestimate people. Many are exactly what you said: fools.

As for OPs question: it is very hard to make money this way. Sure, you might be able to get a little profit here and there but it won't make you rich. Tbqh you will make better money getting a paper route or some other 'not worth my time' job.
>>
you wish
>broken macbook (for parts, display and hard drive broken) — 250 $ — 0 bids
>>
>>56086923
>That's more than it's worth working (it's 2008 first unibody).
Lucky you didn't buy a ThinkPad or it wouldn't have lasted that long. Eight years and you still want to use it? Try that with anything else.
>>
>>56089354
>Many are exactly what you said: fools.
Just look at the posts in this thread for confirmation.
>>
>>56086869

On Gumtree, I saw a woman selling an iMac which had a GPU problem causing screen issues for like £150, she literally said she wasn't bothered to see the cause of the issue and the funniest part was

>she said she's buying another one

Apple would have fixed that shit for free in the UK, but she was being extremely lazy and had too much money, also woman.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.