[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PCI-E SSDs slowly becoming more mainstream

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: usb_34.jpg (115KB, 500x290px) Image search: [Google]
usb_34.jpg
115KB, 500x290px
With the emergence of U.2 and M.2 NVMe SSDs (which don't suffer from SATA's 6 Gbps bottleneck), PCI-E SSDs are becoming more mainstream.

But, here's the problem.

Because Intel is using the number of available PCI-E lanes as a differentiator between mainstream (e.g. Haswell) and enthusiast/workstation (e.g. Haswell-E) lines, you can only have so many PCI-E storage drives on mainstream PC before they eat into PCI-E lanes for GPU (a single U.2 connector uses 4 PCI-E lanes).

Will Intel stop being a Jew and add a half a dozen PCI-E lanes to the mainstream line in the future (Kaby Lake, Cannonlake, etc.), or will be faced with having to choose between having dual GPU or more than one SSD?
>>
Dual gpus are and always have been a meme for rich assholes.
>>
>>56080223

You don't need that many storage and gpu devices
>>
>>56080223
with z170, you get 20 pci-e lanes
and an x8 pci-e gen 3 connector won't bottleneck even a titan video card, that gives you 12 pci-e lanes for meme storage, you will never notice the difference of an nvme ssd over a sata ssd in daily driver usage, for actual work loads, yea you'll notice, but at that point your computer should be making your money, via rendering your end product
>>
>>56080342
Yea and I don't NEED a gaming rig

fuck off, wants do not warrant needs
>>
>>56080368
so you "want" it to be cheaper than it is, you don't "need" it anyways so why the fuck are you complaining, unless you want to discuss wage inequality, which has shit to do with /g/
>>
Dual gpu setups are hardly viable now and won't exist at all in a few years.
>>
>>56080400
>so you "want" it to be cheaper than it is
No one said anything about it being cheaper

They need more lanes to allocate space for storage, every dual GPU set up is at an explicit disadvantage because Intel doesn't allow more lane usage into their processors. If you have any other sort of things like RAM disks, network cards or even older things like TV tuners or capture cards you're out of luck already
>>
>>
>>56080449

Go get a server motherboard with at lest two sockets
>>
>A BLOO BLOO BLOO this midrange CPU isn't designed for my extremely specialized needs
>>
>>56080478
That doesn't even solve the problem, now I have to buy ECC memory and fill my second socket which games don't do. I have to use an OS that supports it with special drivers for every specific piece on the motherboard itself.
>>
>you can only have so many PCI-E storage drives on mainstream PC before they eat into PCI-E lanes for GPU

The SSDs uses the PCIe lanes from the chipset while the GPUs use the PCIe lanes from the CPU.
>>
>>56080449
no you said you wanted server storage support with a mainstream socket, not just an enthusiast socket, which is already more expensive, there are options out there if you really want it, though your "gaming" features like overclocking are unsupported
>>
>>56080560
thank you merchant you are my greatest ally
>>
>>56080560
>PCIe Storage
>Server storage support
>>
>>56080850
>using more than 3 4x pci-e ssds
>not talking about server storage support

pick one
>>
>>56080886
Maybe now, but soon, PCI-E will replace SATA as the default storage bus.

The default 6 SATA ports on motherboards will now will translate to 24 PCI-E lanes when U.2 takes over as the default connection for 2.5'' drives.
>>
>>56080531
>now I have to buy ECC memory
False
>fill my second socket which games don't do
False on both parts, you don't need to fill the second socket (although that halves you available lanes and you may as well get a single socket board) and games can take advantage of both CPUs (not that more than 4 cores is beneficial in many games).
>I have to use an OS that supports it
So Windows, Linux, or OS X
>special drivers for every specific piece on the motherboard itself
It's not different to a single socket board in terms of driver requirements.
>>
>U.2
This is a dead end standard.
They add it off to check off a box of things the mobo has and nothing else.
its as dead as Sata Express is.
>>
>>56081388
Intel seems to be pushing for it pretty hard.

What is the solution then?

Mezzanine boards that just accepts a whole stack of M.2 cards?
>>
>>56081575
>>56081388
It's more for servers, dumb on a desktop since you rarely fill all your card slots anyway.
>>
can you even boot from PCIe or do you need to have an OS on a classical drive?
>>
>>56081124
but that's not now, why complain if those drives aren't mainstream, maybe with cannonlake we'll get support for 4 u.2/m.2 drives with a mainstream socket

you have to remember nand bit density is going up now that demand is finally reaching saturation/yield levels to support r&d of higher density chips
>>
>>56081738
support has gotten a lot better these days.

I am running on a sole samsung 950 drive right now with no issues.
>>
>>56081738
>classical drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCWvvVzdVIg
>>
>>56080223
why does an SSD need a direct CPU PCIe hookup, you autist?

going through a south bridge switch etc. will have no measurable impact on performance on a device that has tens to hundreds of microseconds of turnaround time anyway.
>>
The should just make use of the faster ram slots. Who uses all 4 or even 8 slots anyway? Most people only use 2 slots. And you wouldn't need memory if your data drive is as fast as ram anyway.
>>
PCIe lanes isn't the problem, the problem is PCIe lanes are going through the much slower DMI 3.0 from the PCH to the CPU, that has higher latency & less bandwidth

Intel really needs to put more PCIe lanes on the CPU for lowest latency but they only have 20-24 on Skylake & Kaby Lake & 16 is already used up by a graphics card
>>
>>56083110
DMI 3.0 is 4 GB/s, which is already the limit of m.2/u.2.

Do you imagine yourself RAIDing some SSDs together and getting more than 2 GB/s per device?
>>
File: 1395672879025.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1395672879025.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>56080223
>slowly
I thought SSDs were supposed to be fast.
>>
File: Workstation.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Workstation.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>56080449
>They need more lanes to allocate space for storage, every dual GPU set up is at an explicit disadvantage because Intel doesn't allow more lane usage into their processors. If you have any other sort of things like RAM disks, network cards or even older things like TV tuners or capture cards you're out of luck already
Or you could just get dual Xeons and have 80 PCIe 3 lanes, have dual GPUs, dual 10GbE and a 28 12g SAS ports. You autists complaining about PCIe lanes are retarded. If you can afford enough PCIe SSDs that you need more lanes, you can afford to step up to Xeon E5s.

Also you're not going to be RAIDing PCIe SSDs, so its unlikely they're all going to be accessed at the same time.

>>56080531
I've ran Windows 10 on pic related, drivers aren't any more difficult. ECC memory doesnt cost that much more, and Xeons support non-ECC too.

>>56081260
Games (and many applications) are generally not NUMA aware
>>
PCIe SSD is the ultimate meme for consumers. They're great for server workloads, but you will not notice a difference.
>>
>>56083431
>If you can afford enough PCIe SSDs that you need more lanes, you can afford to step up to Xeon E5s.

Now, that's the case.

But, soon, all storage drives will be PCI-E.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.