[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys I want to learn about computer security what books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: internet-computer-security.jpg (356KB, 1699x1130px) Image search: [Google]
internet-computer-security.jpg
356KB, 1699x1130px
Hey guys

I want to learn about computer security what books or advice can you give me?

I would like to make a career out of it one day
>>
>>56077139
Install gentoo
>>
>I would like to make a career out of it one day
I guarantee you'll be more interested in other parts of CSE after your search.
>>
>>56077139
Start by getting off 4chan. Real talk this place is filled with losers and degenerates. Go and hang around successful communities like reddit and hackerNews. Keep up to date with security news. Practice skills with real hardware. Books get out of date quickly. Start with some low level programming and networking.
>>
>>56077205
This guy's got the right idea. Learn some programming and network basics, then just study as much as you can and try to absorb information like a sponge. If you want to make a career you should start out with some basic certs to get going. Sec+ is a very broad and basic cert and probably wont get you a job, but its a great place to start learning about security. But as mentioned above, first step us to get off 4chan, most people on here wont be of much help or will just troll you. Good luck OP
>>
File: 1393887016491.jpg (6KB, 191x136px) Image search: [Google]
1393887016491.jpg
6KB, 191x136px
>>56077139
Security is a big field.

There is the "normal/good advice" path
>Learn sys admin, programming, network admin.
>work in one area but try to shore up weaknesses in others
>Get into security side anyway you can from CTF, college cyber challenges, get sec + /CISSP

This is probably a decent path as you become an IT professional/programmer and then decide you want to do security type stuff and bring skills to the table.

Then there is the real talk advice. That will tell you why the industry is fucked.

Straight to IT security manager 150k+ job:
>get a degree that says cyber/risk management/IT management
>get internship with a govt agency/join the national guard and do something that says "cyber" in the title/participate in CTF's, get sec+, go find any and all government "cyber education" programs and pad your resume with them
>realize the people hiring you know dick about your resume and pad on any type of peripheral experience you can get
>realize what GRC is - governance risk management and compliance
>go straight to telling IT nerds what to do while having limited knowledge of the tech part, learn PCI, HIPAA, or whatever auditing
>be an auditor and having boring as shit job that makes bank

Big thing is realizing why people secure shit.
1. Pass audits without getting fined
2. Not get fined when they get breached
Jump right to the business/legal side this way.

Oh yeah and a thing to realize when you start actually working. HR determines pay checks. HR has nothing to do with technology. Managers and "leaders of people" get paid more. People with "responsibility" get paid more. Realize the path to making bank in the tech field is
> work as tech
> move onto sales or management
> make 3X as much and focus on "being good at office politics" skillset while letting tech skills atrophy.
>>
> go tpb.org
> download "Hacking: The Art of Exploitation" book+iso-file torrent
> dl & install a VM
> read the book and do the exercises.
> you will know what to do from there ...
>>
>>56077139

watch this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ZijuivVJA

Slides : https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-14/dc-14-presentations/DC-14-Atlas.pdf
>>
>>56077139
Learn:
C, ASM for x64, Python (or Ruby), plus math, specifically Satisfiability.

Here you go:
Buy or pirate these on libgen.io

-KNR book (learn C basics)
-Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective (3rd Edition) protip: Abe Books has 'international version' for dirt cheap
-The Art of Software Security Assessment
-The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications
-Web Application Hacker's Handbook
-Greyhat Python (This teaches you to make your own security test suite)

You're set. Now go do:
microcorruption.com
stockfighter.io/#jailbreak

You can easily finish those just using that Assembly book (Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective (3rd Edition))

You use Satisfiability to test the control flow graph of a C program. You crack it open and find logical errors. There's papers on this everywhere. Find any book on intro to discrete mathematics, proofs, mathematical reasoning, then get a Satisfiability book good luck.

When you're done apply to NCC Group as a jr consultant or apply now anyway, they'll take anybody willing to learn
>>
>>56078967
K&R book, derp
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.