[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language to display updating image

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 2016-08-14 00_45_46-pokemap.jpg (41KB, 738x670px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-14 00_45_46-pokemap.jpg
41KB, 738x670px
hi /g/
what programming language is capable of outputting a dynamic image overlay that updates based on the time?
I've noted down the times of the pokemon spawns around me, and I want to write a program that will display which spawns are live around me at the current time but I don't know where to start

all I really know is c and matlab, and even so not extremely well

essentially I want to have an image shown (the map), and overlay other images (spawn markers) in specific positions on top of the original based on the current time

what language or software should I be looking into for this?
>>
>>56060343
Post your question on stacksoverflow
Get some long winded answer you don't understand
Google for 20 minutes
Realise programming is difficult with no prior experience
Give up
Hand in that English assignment on monday
>>
>>56060402
I can do the basics (slowly), I could make a dodgy version in C where I input the current time and it outputs a preset picture showing the spawns for that particular time (I'd have to make a picture of each possible formation doing that though)
I'm just wondering what to use to have something that updates based on the time automatically and can overlay images
I'm willing to work the rest out myself
should I be looking at html or something?
>>
>>56060343
Any language that can deal with images, or GUI toolkits, or html. Basically all languages fullfil your purpose.

But if you want easy, just use JavaScript with leaflet and a browser.
>>
>>56060672
alright thanks friendo
I'm having a look at html at the moment, if I can't get it going I'll try what you said with javascript
>>
>>56060343
Use JavaScript and a map library (leaflet?) (google maps api?)
>>
>>56060717
you literally can't do shit with pure html
you NEED javascript to do any kind of dynamic rendering on the client side
you will also NEED some sort of server side API to tells you what you need to render and where

this is a pretty big endeavor for one person, and since you have no experience you'll probably get sick of pokemon before it's halfway finished
>>
>>56060811
>>56060779
ok I'm having a look at javascript then
even if I never get this working I just want more experience programming and this is as good as an excuse as any
>>
The first and hardest piece will probably be somehow gaining access to the "private" Pokemon Go APIs. With the APIs, you can build a querying program to take in inputs and get results back for what's in the area.
Pretty much any language can do this.

Next part would be tapping into APIs for Google Maps or w\e mapping program you want to use. Unlike the Pokemon GO services, these are probably public and much easier to work with so I'd suggest actually starting here.

Definitely google API/REST services to find guides on how to do this like
> http://blog.mashape.com/30-ways-to-make-rest-calls-in-node-js-php-python/

You will also need some accessories, that are mostly just logic dependent on how the APIs work. These will probably be : a basic form/input to take an area from you/the user, then a Pokemon GO service call builder that uses that area and builds the query to make, then a handler that gets to check if any pokemon were returned in the query, then logic that tells the map API whether or not drop a pin in the area.

From then on, you can build in complexity like an improved form that automatically reads GPS location if available, modified map API calls to drop pokemon icon instead of pins, adding a database to store findings for analytics of good areas, splitting the app it's webservice so you can access from anywhere, etc.
>>
>>56061335
I'm not actually looking to make anything too complex, it doesn't need to communicate the the pokemon go servers or use their api
I've already determined the spawn times around my place, I'm just trying to make something that shows the relevant ones at any given time so I can look at my game, see what is in the 'sightings' and easily match it up with the current spawns
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.