[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a fucking moron.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: jesus fucking christ.jpg (61KB, 960x931px) Image search: [Google]
jesus fucking christ.jpg
61KB, 960x931px
So... Story time.
I am an extreme idiot. I almost set my PC on fire and could have bricked all of my hardware in the process. But to understand exactly what happened, and the depth of my sheer obliviousness, you need to hear it from the beginning.
>Be me.
>I had just purchased a wireless headset that was primarily designed for PS4 and PS3, but also usable with PC.
>In order to plug it into the PC, I needed to use the S/PDIF output on my motherboard.
>Well, I plugged it in, got the adapter set up, everything's lit up and the driver's are installed, aaaaaand... no sound on the headset.
>Huh. Maybe it needs to charge?
>It is new, out of the box, so maybe that's it.
>So I plug it in, and try again.
>Nothing.
>I try both HD audio outputs - nothing.
>I try reinstalling the HD Realtek Audio drivers - nothing.
>I checked the S/PDIF output on the back of the PC, and it IS glowing red, indicating power is connected.
>But maybe that's just something else glowing red, I tell myself, and it actually doesn't have power.
>So I unplug everything and have a look inside the case.
>Now, for starters, let's just state that the S/PDIF output is SOLDERED to the motherboard.
>There's not connectors for it because it is HARDWIRED to the motherboard.
>So of COURSE is has power.
>It has power because the MOTHERBOARD is plugged IN.
>But I've been working for an hour at this point, and am desperate.
>So, on them motherboard, I find a 4-pin connector that is labelled "S/PDIF Out."
>Bingo, I think.
>Nevermind the fact that this is obviously for another, additional S/PDIF output to be plugged in, should I choose to get another output plugged in.
>Nope.
>To my mind, at the time, this was the power outlet I needed to use to power my obviously not working connector.
>So, I find an extra four pin power connector leading from my power supply, and plug it in.
>>
File: not my final form.jpg (41KB, 500x387px) Image search: [Google]
not my final form.jpg
41KB, 500x387px
>>56055512
>Keep in mind that my room is stuffy, and it was hot today.
>So I'm sweating - I'm dabbing my forehead whilst I melt, careful to avoid getting sweat into the case.
>I plug in the PC, turn it on and.... nothing.
>Huh.
>Maybe I forgot to flip the power switch on the back.
>Let me ju-
>SWEET ZEUS'S NIPPLES I SMELL ELECTRICAL SMOKE! DEFCON COSBY ACTIVATED! CODE ZIP CODE ZOP!
>With the speed of Flash, I unplug the PC.
>Shit, I think to myself.
>I must have gotten sweat on the motherboard.
>I fried my PC through my horrible, sweaty genes that cause me to melt in the slightest of heat.
>I think of all the things I wanted to do with my PC, and how expensive the parts of going to be.
>Damn it. Today sucks.
>I open the case and put it under a bunch of fans, after unplugging everything.
>I say a prayer to all the Gods and to Satan just top be safe, and leave for a few hours to get the PC off my mind.
>After spending some time with friends, I come back to face the inevitable music.
>What's friend, I wonder.
>The Motherboard?
>My GPU?
>Could it be the power supply?
>Anything could be wrong.
>Unable to take the suspense, I plug it in - without any peripherals or monitors - and turn it on.
>The motherboard lights up, like nothing's wrong.
>The CPU spins for a second, then...
>nothing.
>I turn it off and on again several times.
>Same thing each time.
>Huh... weird.
>So, using troubleshooting 101, I think to myself "Hey, if it wasn't sweat, what else was changed between the time it worked and the time it didn't?"
>So, using expert analysis, I unplug the power cable that was running extra power back into a port that SHOULD NOT HAVE POWER RUNNING INTO IT.
>It's an OUTBOUND PORT, that I was ROUTING LIVE ELECTRICITY INTO.
>LOW AND BEHOLD, after unplugging the power cable, IT WORKS! HUZZAH!
>So, I plug everything in, get everything back to what it was, and thank the Gods everything is okay
>(and Satan too, for good measure).
>>
File: spuds mckenzie.jpg (68KB, 884x800px) Image search: [Google]
spuds mckenzie.jpg
68KB, 884x800px
>>56055531
>Then I go back to troubleshooting the headset.
>I follow youtube instructions to a T.
>Everything is done as per instruction, and NOTHING.
>HOURS have been spent into this.
>My PC could have been FRIED.
>AND THE WIRELESS HEADSET STILL WON'T WORK.
>WHY?!
>So I get desperate.
>I'm researching forums, trying to troubleshoot my S/PDIF output.
>It MUST be malfunctioning.
>That HAS to be the answer.
>And in a random Youtube comment, someone happened to mention something rather important.
>The WIRELESS headset,
>that NEEDS POWER TO RUN,
>has an On/Off switch.
>It is the little triangle logo on the right side of the headset.
>This entire time, the headset has been off.
>It wasn't the output on the motherboard.
>It wasn't the connectors.
>It's wasn't the hardware or the software.
>It was off.
>I turned it on, and sound came out.
>I laughed.
>Then I cried.
>Then I started typing.
So, that's the story of how I almost destroyed my PC and almost started a fire at the same time while trying to troubleshoot my perfectly functioning headset that was merely off.

TL;DR Headset are hard.
>>
I hope this wall of text is worth reading, anon.
>>
File: 1420971039254.jpg (38KB, 1072x712px) Image search: [Google]
1420971039254.jpg
38KB, 1072x712px
Meh. Would've been funnier if you actually fried something.
>>
>>56055670
kek
>>
>>56055625

Let us know if it is, I'm disregarding until confirmed worth it.
>>
>>56057284
Its not.
>>
>>56057284
Not really. He just forgot to turn his headset on and did a bunch of stupid shit to try to fix it.

reminds me of a similar, equally pointless story of mine... *thread disappears in a wavey dream transition*
>doing computer things
>suddenly black screen out of nowhere, but it comes back
>happens more and more
>eventually i only get a bit of video when i boot up then it's gone halfway through the desktop appearing
>my 8800gt must finally be dying...
>take it out and plug the monitor into the mobo
>exact same shit
>do my rounds, use different monitor cable, reseat the RAM, try the RAM in a different computer, do the same with the PSU
>motherboard must just be junked somehow?
>i dont understand though, it just goes to black but the machine doesn't hang, hard drive activity light is doing the usual normal idle flickering, the screen just....
>the screen.
>replace the monitor
>everything works again

never had a monitor fail, so this was pretty interesting.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.