[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 18

File: 1450188287003.jpg (150KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1450188287003.jpg
150KB, 900x675px
Previously on: >>56047372

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
>>56053690
>apricity
This actually looks very nice. Can anyone else speak for Apricity?

>antergos
I consider Antergos to be more of its own separate distro from Arch. It has its own package repositories, it installs packages differently, targets a different audience, has its own bug tracker, and a separate community.
>>
so I don't really post here a whole bunch
my distro of choice is the ubuntu fork/clone/whatever caled "Trisquel"
I use it for two main devices
my x220
my server (with nginx as the server tool)
Honestly, it's a lot of fun learning the in's-n-out's of Gnu/Linux and for programming at any substantial rate it's 2nd to none. Overall I enjoy it and I prefer the way it handles over Windows.
I know this is awfully /blog/-y but this is the GNU/Linux appreciation thread so fuck it.
>>
>>56053846
from https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-basic_defs.en.html
The project name is pronounced Deb'-ee-en, with a short e in Deb, and emphasis on the first syllable. This word is a contraction of the names of Debra and Ian Murdock, who founded the project. (Dictionaries seem to offer some ambiguity in the pronunciation of Ian (!), but Ian prefers ee'-en.)
>>
>>56053876
Isn't Ian Murdock dead
>>
>>56053914
They need to rename it to DeadIan
>>
>>56053914
Murdock died on 28 December 2015 in San Francisco. Though initially no cause of death was released, in July 2016 it was announced his death had been ruled a suicide.

The last tweets from Murdock's Twitter account first announced that he would commit suicide, then said he would not. He reported having been assaulted by police, and having assaulted a police officer, then declared an intent to devote his life to opposing police abuse. His Twitter account was taken down shortly afterwards.

The San Francisco police confirmed he was detained, saying he matched the description in a reported attempted break-in and that he appeared to be drunk. The police stated that he became violent and was ultimately taken to jail on suspicion of four misdemeanor counts. They added that he did not appear to be suicidal and was medically examined prior to release. Later, police returned on reports of a possible suicide. The city medical examiner’s office confirmed Murdock was found dead.
>>
>>56053914
He is. The FBi FORCED HIM TO OFF HIMSELF IIRC
>>
>>56053811
Memes aside, is it really worth moving from Windows to Linux? I don't use much proprietary software but my real concern is that I won't be able to use Acrobat Pro DC on Linux.. something that I use daily. I don't play games either. Most of what I do is listen to music, read documents (office stuff), and browse the internet.

P.S. I do think I am being picky - I'm spoilt rotten by Acrobat, everything is so smooth and it just works.

On a side note does anyone know a really good alternative to Acrobat?
>>
>>56053842
So it's another Mint? Sounds fantastic.
>>
Is Linux a daily driver OS or is it purely a hobbyist/sysadmin sort of thing?

I'm a Windows normie. Is Linux for me?
It's hard to get a real answer with all the memes.
>>
>>56053979
Either.

Why are you considering Linux?
>>
>>56053930
Ian Murder
>>
How do I make it so applications open where my cursor is/the monitor my cursor is focused on rather than opening on my main monitor every time? I have multiple monitors so it's a little inconvenient.

Using Openbox if that matters.
>>
>>56053958
go to appdb and see what is supported
>>
>>56053979
With the shitfest vista was, i moved to linux and i've never had to go back to windows for anything.
>>
>>56054011
>Why are you considering Linux?
Do I need a well thought out reason or something?
I've been with Windows all my life but everybody on /g/ shills Linux and bashes Windows so I'm wondering if there's something to it or if it's just a programmer thing. I don't program.
>>
>>56054033
How are you opening them?
menu,dmenu?
>>
>>56054036
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32266&iTestingId=92812

Doesn't seem to be supported as well on Linux. To be honest I'm looking for an alternative that's as smooth and stable as the Acrobat that's on Windows.
>>
>>56054033

It's literally in the OpenBox settings manager
>>
I have a bunch of services that all write logs somewhere.

Is there a way to look at log files by service as opposed to combing through /var/log/whatever?

I'm on Debian 8.4.
>>
>>56054033
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Configuration#Placement
>>
>>56053934
>>56053953
conspiracy: He was murdered by the US government for his contributions to FOSS with suicide as the cover-up.

>>56053979
Besides not having all of the ©newest®video games™ available, and LibreOffice/OpenOffice not being perfectly compatible with MS Office, it does normal desktop tasks just as well.
>>
>>56054069
Try zathura, there are other options:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Graphical_13
>>
>>56054058
>I don't program.
Then you probably don't need Linux.

Linux is super convenient for programmers who mainly live in the command line.
>>
I just started Linux Mint Cinnamon in a virtual box and I'm just curious, it is really that small for real? Or is it a virtual box thing? I can barely see anything even though it's set to the right resolution.

Shit is making my eyes hurt and giving me a headache
>>
>>56054080
Oh I'm retarded thanks.
>>
>>56054108
I'm someone who's looking to eventually become a programmer, and I'm pretty interested in Linux. Do you suggest any books/documentation that would get me caught up with all the syntax and jargon?
>>
>>56054058
No you don't

So just curious

It's fun, I use it as a hobby. If you want to check it out go ahead. There are sometimes inconveniences you wouldn't see in Windows. Lack of support, lot's of googling and troubleshooting, etc. But it's fun, if you feel like it.

I don't program either. I just go online mostly.
>>
>>56054119
Virtual machines make everything small

> Mint

Please love yourself. Install Ubuntu if you want APT. Install Fedora if you want a good package manager.
>>
>>56054123

Codeacademy is a meme site for learning how to "code" but it's linux CLI course is decent.
>>
>>56054056
Literally me a couple years ago. Vista was trash, so I tried Ubuntu just for fun. But eventually I just wanted Windows again because "it just werks" and gaming.

Now with the absolute abortion that Windows 10 is I'm looking to get into Linux again.

I just don't know where to start other than Linux Mint, which I tried but wasn't a fan of.
What's another of babby's first other than Mint?
>>
>>56054119
lol

sorry

did you try moving your screen closer to you're face
>>
>>56054156
Just use Ubuntu mate since you already have experience with Ubuntu.
Nothing wrong with it and it's easy for a babby to use.
>>
>>56054156
> Babby's first distro

Gentoo.

In all seriousness, try Kubuntu.
>>
>>56054156

Install Manjaro. Once you get used to linux, convert to Arch. Once you start using pacman/pamac/octopi/etc. and the Arch/AUR repositories, you will find it hard to like anything else.
>>
>>56054140
Don't worry bro, I'm just trying different ones in a virtual box as trials to find what I like.

I'm super new to this shit, so I'm taking baby steps
>>
LUBUNTU OR DIE
>>
>>56054156
If you're interested in learning Linux, Arch Linux is a good start. Be aware that it might not be as "easy-to-setup" as other distros, but that's part of the fun.. at least for me.
>>
I just installed Ubuntu for the first time /fglt/

This looks absolutely hideous, how do I install another desktop environment on top of this unity thing? I really liked Mint's KDE 4.14 but Mint in general was pretty slow, meanwhile this Ubuntu is snappy and fast.
>>
>>56054119
change dpi within the vm
>>
Is Debian beginner friendly and not shit?
>>
>>56054058
>>56054134
And fwiw I've tried going back to Windows after years of using only Linux at home. Despite all the trouble with Linux, Windows just felt so locked down I went back. Big, basic, complete difference there.
>>
>>56054219
>Is Debian beginner friendly
No. Do give it a try however, I eventually ended there after starting with Ubuntu.
>>
>>56054214
Just install Debian with xfce
>>
>>56054219
That's hard to say definitively .. Why don't you try it out
>>
>>56054214
did u try

apt get install kde
>>
going through git.gnome.org I could not find the gtk2 source of the legacy theme raleigh

if by chance you know where it is please link

>>56053958
you can set a vm with xp or even a licenced image for 2d work https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/
>>
>>56054248
This to be quite frankly honest my head shaking family.
>>
>>56054331
This is nice.
>>
Not entirely related to Linux but I have a question
What's better, UEFI or BIOS?
>>
>>56054439

Hubba Bubba

Not many know of it or how to configure it. It's harder than Gentoo
>>
>>56054439
bios
uefi is a rotting peice of shit that should have never come to fruition.

ALWAYS check your mobo for bios support over uefu
>>
>>56054439
I hate UEFI so much.
>>
Asked last thread but didn't get replies.

When it comes to partitioning the drive to dual boot, how large should a partition be?
I want to dual boot linux and windows but I literally will only have windows to play the occasional game.
How would my partition need to be for that? Also for reference its a 128gb SSD
>>
>>56054439
I found UEFI easier when trying to dual boot Windows and Linux because I didn't have to create an EFI partition (Windows already did that for me)
>>56054474
I split my 1TB Hard Drive into 100GB (for documents), 600GB for Windows and 300GB for Linux (with 16GB swap)
>>
>>56054248
>debian
Isn't that for advanced users? I'm pretty beginner.

>>56054265
Nope, because kde 4.14 apparently isn't the only one out there. There's some 5.7 that's the latest, but it looks pretty ugly, and I don't like it.
>>
>>56054454
lol wut

why pink gum
>>
>>56054494
Shit nigger, I don't have that kind of space with this puny SSD
>>
>>56054496
arch and gentoo are the hardcore advanced user oses
>>
>>56054496
so what de do you want
>>
>>56054496
The only "advanced" distros are Gentoo and LFS. Arch sort of falls into advanced but it has the best documentation and as long as you follow steps and know what you're doing it isn't really a problem.
>>
>>56054494
>16gb swap
why so big oniichan
>>
>>56053003
>Who is anyone?

People who use Linux. I'm tired of retards pretending they're badass because they installed a distro via terminal.

I have a CS degree but I'm wondering how much actual opportunity there is nowadays for actual programmers instead of webdev meme language retards.

Full disclosure: I have no actual real world experience. I'm 25 and chose to travel the world learning languages (and teaching English) while studying various IT fields in my spare time.

I'm pasting this because I want people to tell me how stupid I am or what I should be doing.

>25

I feel like an old fuck that's making it too late. I have an affinity towards actual langauges (fluent in Japanese, spent 7 years learning it) and am learning Mandarin. Am I being an optimistic retard?
>>
>>56054510

>arch
>hardcore/advanced

Wat? You have to be literally retarded to find Arch hard. Even the installation is basic if you know how to use a computer. Even if you're a normal fag, there's thousands of guides online and even tools that offer CLI/GUI installers for it. Pacman is one of the easiest package managers to use, and Arch repositories/AUR are better than anything but Debian's. Only distros without package management and repositories are hard to use, and not even hard more so than tedious.

When will this cancer stop of people who aren't system admins or developers trying to use linux?
>>
>>56054532
2x the size of RAM is what I was told.
>>
>>56054563
I was told to make swap just half the space of your RAM, so mine's just 4GB

which one is it gnutards
>>
>>56054563
I believe this advice is from the olden days of yore.
>>
Should I format my hard drive as EXT4 or BTRFS?
>>
>>56054586

Twice your RAM if you want to use hibernation. Else same as RAM.
>>
>>56054613

DDR6
>>
File: Laughing Whores.gif (117KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Whores.gif
117KB, 400x400px
>>56054613
>BTRFS
>>
> install grsecurity
> double free
> can't fixx it
> give up for several months
> go back to it
> fix double free
> fix boot issues
> end in sight
> finishes bootload screen
> goes to yellow underscore in top right corner of screen
> ctrl-alt-f2 lets me go to terminal
> startx goes to black screen with my mouse pointer and stays that way
>>
>>56053971

I would say another elementaryOS. Btw everything is welcome if helps people to move to GNU/Linux.
>>
In trying to figure out how to install my new HDD, I just found out about LVMs.

Is it worth setting an LVM up or does it not matter? Arch wiki says they have lots of advantages but wew this page looks complicated as fuck.
>>
according to you guys what's the best desktop environment and why?
>>
>>56054519
KDE 4.14, before they made that new one. But at this point I'm willing to settle for anything but unity.
>>
>>56054669

It depends of what you need.

XFCE its, for me, the more flexible DE out there.

MATE and Cinnamon are really good too. LXDE its ok but is ugly as fuck and openbox could be very hard to rice if you're new.
>>
>>56054669
I think Windows 7 has the best DE. It is DE perfect. XP is second.

It is just, how computers are supposed to be. Everything else is just a variation.

I use Windows at work and Linux at home for six years.
>>
>>56054669
i like kde because the software that comes with it is all pretty good and almost everything will work out of the box
>>
>>56054693
>>56054744
doesn't kde use a lot of ram or is that just a meme
>>
>>56054693
Debian and Slackware r the two major distros I know of that have 4.14. Otherwise if you want to stay on Ubuntu, there r a bunch to choose from lots of ppl like xubuntu or ubuntu mate
>>
So, since my laptop only has a small SSD partitioning the drive is out of the question for dual boot.

What are your opinions on Wine? How is it at running Windows and their programs?
>>
>>56054474
depends but a typical ubuntu release needs at least 6G just to install

much less if you use the network installer
http://rbt.asia/g/thread/S55488184#p55502261
http://rbt.asia/g/thread/S55472222#p55477683
http://rbt.asia/g/thread/S55899614#p55899943

in general, / 10 to 15G or more depending on the programs you would use

win 7 needed at least 30G for the C drive to work
>>
>>56054795
Wine its ok with low performance programs or old programs. You wont run Photoshop CC with Wine but probably Photoshop CS2 will works fine.
>>
How do I get Logitech Gaming Software to work on Arch? I have a Logitech G300s mouse and I miss my CS:GO macros.
>>
>>56054756
it uses 400-500mb on my machine, probably more than something like xfce4 but you will have less of a headache getting things to work
>>
>>56054823
What about games on Steam? That's basically the only thing I would still use Windows for
>>
>>56054850
how customisable is it? like does it look good or can you make it look good?
>>
might be the wrong thread to ask but,
I'm running a server with a database and a lot of custom software/configurations on it
I'm looking for a way to backup the entire server (important software, configurations, database, images, etc) nightly on a second server
this way if the first server disappears we can be back up and running without losing much in just a few minutes

server is running centos 6.7
>>
>>56054850
>>56054854
i'm talking about xfce btw, kde doesn't look like it's worth it
>>
File: mWJ5fiO.png (195KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
mWJ5fiO.png
195KB, 1366x768px
>>56054867
xfce4 and kde are both very customisable in my experience

you could make either one look like pic related or go the opposite direction and install arc or some other dark theme
>>
The issue with all this freeware stuff and Linux and "freedom" is that normies still will only ever use the usual botnet shit.

Sure I can use Linux and brag about no proprietary stuff, but if I want to video chat with my girlfriend who is currently away for her job she'll insist on Skype or Hangouts because that's what all her other normie friends will use.

Shit like that, mang
>>
>>56054921
Damn that looks good, is that XFCE?
>>56054932
Doesn't Skype have a native Linux application now?
>>
>>56054959
>Doesn't Skype have a native Linux application now?
Implying that changes anything,
>>
>>56054959
it's xfce with numix icons and i think the arc theme
>>
>>56054932
Yeah, unless you want to live like rms, you gotta compromise sometimes.
>>
>>56054439
UEFI. You don't even need a bootloader.
>>
>>56054991
>compromise
Nope. You have to stand up for your rights and for your freedom. People shouldn't forget that there's no difference in real- and digital life. Imagine someone comes into your room and listens to your phone calls, reads your mail and records you with a video camera. Just because in a computer you can't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Shit like this needs to stop and it can only stop with free software and to make the change, you need to stop to make compromises.
>>
>>56054853
Steam has a list of games that work on linux natively. If you want to run AAA games and you have time to learn about it you can try virtualizing Windows and doing GPU passthrought,
>>
Is FISH better than ZSH?
>>
>>56054862
rsync and cron.
>>
File: freeeeeeeee.jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
freeeeeeeee.jpg
45KB, 500x500px
>>56055079
This guy gets it

Join us now and share the software, you'll be freeeeee hackers you'll be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>56055079
With luck binary only programs will die in the future anyway. Just look around, everyone and his mother has a github account.

>>56055101
It's different. Less features than zsh, better interactive features. The downside is that it isn't fully POSIX compatible.
>>
>>56054959
>Doesn't Skype have a native Linux application now?
It always has it was just a pile of shit
>>
>>56055236
>it was just
but is it still? I think not. Free software wins again. Freeeeeeeeeee
>>
I like dark themes but they always make the text fields in my web browsers dark. How do I prevent this?

Using JWM and installed arc-themes from repository is that matters. Using lxappearance to configure theme.
>>
>>56055247
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox#Unreadable_input_fields_with_dark_GTK.2B_themes
>>
>>56055242
I don't know what it's like. I just know they're updating it.
>>
>>56055102
yep, seems pretty efficient
prolly gonna write a script to run a mysqldump and rsync, and then cron the script
thanks
>>
>>56055265

None of those helped
>>
So, I ran Linux Mint from a USB to give it a try and God, what a fucking terrible piece of shit it was. It took me 3 seconds to want to try something else.
Everything is FUCKING SMALL! And it was slow and laggy as fuck

Its a new laptop with barely anything on it, there's no reason it should run slow.

So, since Mint is a bust, what else should I try to into Linux?
>>
>>56055468

Manjaro XFCE
>>
>>56054534
I'm 30 just now getting CS degree but might change so whatever
>>
Just leaving this here for our germanfags: https://ia800202.us.archive.org/24/items/R.StellmanFreiWieInFreiheitRichardStallmansKreuzzugFurFreieSoftware/R.%20Stellman%20-%20Frei%20wie%20in%20Freiheit%20-%20Richard%20Stallmans%20Kreuzzug%20fu%CC%88r%20freie%20Software.pdf
>>
Why are input device support on Linux such fucking shit specially Bluetooth fucking hell
>>
If all I have is a laptop is one distro preferred?
Any that are really good on a laptop?
>>
> KDE running slow
> ctrl-alt-f2 into a tty
> ctrl-alt-f1 back
> runs smooth as silk

I'd rather it be silk all the time. I have to do the tty thing every hour or so and it's really irking me.

Really, my whole experience with KDE has been a disaster. If I wasn't so goddamned lazy I'd probably go back to cinnamon.

But alas, I'm very lazy.
>>
>>56055585
I've been using Fedora on my laptops for four years with no problem and a great time.

I also briefly used Gentoo and while it took a bit of configuring to do, it worked great.

Though probably the best was my brief usages of Lubuntu on it.
>>
So, what is the difference between Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu and whatever else others there are?
>>
>>56055655
Desktop environment and the associated default software.

Look it up. KDE looks the best but is buggy and slow.
>>
>>56055655

Ubuntu trash, different desktop environments.

Ubuntu = Unity botnet
Xubuntu = XFCE
Lubuntu = LXDE (LxQT soon)
Kubuntu = KDE

They are all trash, and every other Ubuntu based distro is trash. You get acclaimed "lightweight" advertised distros that come with over 1,800 packages of bloat. Even the most heavyweight Manjaro distros are ~800 packages.
>>
>>56055690
So, which DE is best for Manjaro?

I'm starting to feel like Manjaro is worth checking out seriously
>>
>>56055468
get debian retardo
>>
>>56055709

XFCE is pretty popular and easy to configure. I personally use Manjaro JWM, but JWM requires manual tweaking for almost everything.
>>
>>56055718
Okay, I will literally get it right now if you tell me which version to get and which DE to get if there is that option
>>
>>56055742
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/debian-live-8.5.0-amd64-xfce-desktop.iso.torrent
for 64 bit
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/bt-hybrid/debian-live-8.5.0-i386-xfce-desktop.iso.torrent
for 32 bit
>>
>>56055742
Ignore Debianfags.

You want Moebuntu with LXDE.
>>
>>56055690
>bloat
Found the Archfag.
>>
>>56055840
>not moebuntu with fxce
>>
>>56055882
> not moebuntu with xmonad
>>
>>56055742
bash -c '\(^'
>>
What's the point in putting your /home on another HDD?

What's the point in even making multiple partitions for stuff like that? What's wrong with just root and swap?
>>
File: 1470971307613.jpg (50KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
1470971307613.jpg
50KB, 500x383px
>tfw want to use an easy to use distro like an Ubuntu flavour or Fedora/Debian
>tfw also want to install Arch since the AUR seems really tempting and amazing to have
>tfw but too retarded to install Arch
the beginner's wiki hurts my feeble mind
somebody please shoot me
>>
I am FAR from meming fight now.

My Windows shit just decided to restarted on me.

>restart

My memes aren't in place.

I am fucking LIVID.

I hope Bill Cunt and his stupid fucking cunt shit fuck shit die in a fire.

As I was typing this I got transferred to other windows

I sincerely hope, with all my heart, that these fucking Windows """"""""""devs"""""""""" get canned for being the worst fucjking NIGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'm soi fucking pissed rihgt now
>>
File: Cover.jpg (225KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
225KB, 960x960px
I felt in love with os x. Since I'm a poorfag, how can I rice Arch or Debian to feel like it?
>>
I'm trying to copy some music from my library to my phone over SFTP. Is it supposed to be so incredibly unreliable, or am I just using bad apps?
>>
I am almost done setting up Xubuntu now. Whats a nice system load indicator thing that I can add to my panel to monitor CPU, RAM and network usage? I forget which one I had and the preinstalled ones don't give me nice bar graphs.
>>
>>56056307
Three steps. It's been the same way since the beginning of time.

1. Boot into a live environment.
2. Format your disk.
3. Put files onto it in the right place.

If you have a kernel in /boot and grub installed to your mbr, you're done.
>>
Why do my windows drives not mount? I have two drives with windows 10, neither of them mount in Ubuntu. I googled it and it said Windows might be in hibernation and not properly shut down or some shit.

So I started up Windows, turned off quick startup like it suggested, went back to Linux, still doesn't mount.

Why can't I just access my files? Is this a common problem?
>>
>>56057726
maybe windows has something to hide
>>
im tired of the bloatware crap that comes with ubuntu and want to install debian, should i use testing or unstable? or will i be fine with stable
>>
does anyone know how i can configure pytyle3 to launch automatically after I login?
I tried inserting "pytyle3 &" into my .bash_profile, which did nothing and .bashrc runs every time I open a terminal, which is suboptimal too.
How can I make sure this command runs AFTER the xserver and my window manager are launched?
I'm using systemd by the way.
>>
I'm just leaving this here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9mRl9tW3kE
>>
>>56058175
Unstable if you want security updates too
>>
>>56058175
Install stable and then if you want you can always upgrade to testing or sid.
>>
Are there any good fullscreen whiteboard/clipboard-esque packages? I just got an X61 tablet and I'd like a sort of software that takes advantage of the whole screen and just lets me scribble things down.
>>
Do the security benefits of using a grsec kernel warrant installing and maintaining it?
>>
>>56058765
>t. tech illiterate
>>
>>56058609
Hello. If you want something to load after your window manager has, then you should ask your window manager to load it.

There's a chance however that order of these two doesn't matter, so you may start pytyle3 from, say, your ~/.xinitrc (if that's what you use to start your window manager)
>>
What is /fglt/ using for reading rss?
>>
>>56058609
create a .desktop file to your xsession autostart
>>
Is it safe to update my kernel using this method? Looks like a bit of a hack to me

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/05/install-linux-kernel-4-6-ubuntu-16-04/
>>
>>56058862
Why would you use RSS in 2016?
>>
File: 1470772663471.png (16KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
1470772663471.png
16KB, 259x224px
Should I use 4chan X, /fglt/?
>>
>>56059192
yes
>>56059190
get out normie
>>56058862
newsbeuter
>>
>>56058772
is it better to stay on stable or upgrade to testing/sid? i heard stable has outdated packages
>>
>>56059225
Rumors, just check the version of the installed packages and compare them to the latest available for that package.
>>
>>56058862
Liferea
>>56059225
>outdated
No, usually not. But remember that it is a point release. I personally use sid. But I upgraded from minimal stable. You probably don't need sid. (I don't need it either but I hoped I could report a few bugs and help out that way)
>>
>>56053930
I've been calling it Dedian ever since he died
>>
File: csgo_htop.jpg (602KB, 1602x902px) Image search: [Google]
csgo_htop.jpg
602KB, 1602x902px
Recently changed my os from >win7 to >Debian. Never thought I would have the chance to play any games. My first concerns were actual programs and what not. Learning to appreciate all the alternatives I really like Linux. And even better now that CSGO works BETTER in Debian than on Win7.... /g/ was right all along...
>>
>>56058804
What do you mean? Isn't it in your distro's repos?
>>
>>56058804
Depends on your security needs. I wouldn't use it just for the sake of using it.
>>
>>56059741
>implying any hacks work on linux
>>
>>56059741
what graphics card do you use?
>>
>>56060276
GTX 760
>>
File: 1366377650216.jpg (17KB, 559x556px) Image search: [Google]
1366377650216.jpg
17KB, 559x556px
>>56059741
>18 fps
>>
Do I need to activate this if I plan on only using it offline?

I am doing this to write essays in it on word, it is the only reason I keep finding myself going back to my windows PC.
>>
Is alien bob the only third party slackbuilds I can trust? Can I trust any of the packages off slackbuilds.org?
>>
>>56060334
Can't you run word in wine instead of doing this shit?
>>
>>56060386
Never trust anyone. Not even yourself.
>>
>>56060320
When tabbed out
>>
>>56060407
I'd have it on a VM sitting on the corner of the drive instead of the bare metal to be quite frankly honest my head shaking family.
>>
>>56060407
yeah, but doesn't that compromise security?
I'm not tinfoil or anything, but wouldn't that open up your system to all the malware/viruses that plague windows?
>>
>>56060542
No. It would however open your system to some of them.
>>
>>56054543
>It's not hard!
>Only advanced user's should use it!
Time to take your meds, Joey.
>>
>>56060408
Should I even use slackbuilds.org and just stick to alien bob exclusively?
>>
Is there a way to tell syslinux to use the latest kernel installed if multible kernel versions are stored in /boot automatically?
>>
>>56055861
Gentoo, ahkshewally.
>>
>>56060639
What's the latest kernel?
>>
>>56060681
In my case vmlinuz-4.6.6_1

I know that you can define it in /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg, but i'd have to do it every update.

I thought of maybe symlinking the latest whenever an update to the kernel occured, but then again i don't know how to gather the version strings to compare them in bash. Also it's still not fully automated then.
>>
>>56055613
what distro anon? i had a lot of problems with kde on kubuntu but it runs perfectly on their neon distro thing
>>
>>56060334
Nah, who cares, wouldn't you probably be using pirated windows if you were running it anyway?
Protip: use seamless mode or whatever it's called on virtualbox.
>>
>>56054108
Why is programming a requirement? You seem to not be aware of other arguments...
>>
File: 1443910318124.jpg (724KB, 1102x1129px) Image search: [Google]
1443910318124.jpg
724KB, 1102x1129px
>>56060864
Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”
>>
>>56060738
How do you even update the kernel?
Shouldn't your distro handle that shit for you?
>>
>>56061033
Unregular. It doesn't.
Per default GRUB would be installed, which does, but i had problems with that on bios-gpt/f2fs on root

I'll go the bash way.
>>
File: Sad guts render.png (994KB, 1000x1016px) Image search: [Google]
Sad guts render.png
994KB, 1000x1016px
Any pixiv browser or fetcher out there? Maybe something like fetching possible links with a script and passing that to aria2c or wget.
>>
Should I use Pulseaudio or just ALSA?
>>
>>56061905
Whatever works for you.
>>
>>56061168
i'm too fucking retarted to hadle that.. anyone able to help out?
{code]# scan /boot
for entry in /boot/*
do
if [ '$entry = find . -maxdepth 1 -name "*vmlinuz*"' ]; then
echo "KENREL: $entry"
fi
#echo "$entry"
done[/code]
it will just list all files regardless, probably because it's always true that find actually finds files calld *vmlinuz*.

what do to make this work?
>>
>>56056760
holy shit I was drunk last night.

sorry dudes
>>
Is there an easy way to install the mainline kernel on debian for testing?
>>
>>56053811
guy smells so bad they have to put 2 fans to contaminate his radioactive smell
>>
>>56062274
Found the 9gagger.
>>
>>56054123 here
I followed >>56054149's instructions but codeacademy wants me to pay to learn linux CLI. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
>>
Hey guys what distro should I install?
I'm right now torn between Xubuntu and Antergos. Both seem really nice and user friendly enough for me.
>>
>>56061905

I use pulseaudio-alsa because my distro came with alsa but it was fucked up and I didn't want to break anything removing it. If starting from scratch, go with pulseaudio.
>>
>>56060989

Did he really say that? Because the definition of piracy has nothing to do with kidnapping and murder. Just because it sounds close to pirates, he thinks piracy means pirates? Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
>>56056218
If you have /home on another partition then if you fuck your system it's a lot easier to recover your files.
>>
>>56056218

Only real reason you'd ever want your /home on a separate partition or drive is if you want to encrypt it or run multiple distributions. It doesn't hurt anything having it on a separate drive, but there's no real need to.
>>
>>56062713
>piracy has nothing to do with kidnapping and murder
Like, dicksucking has nothing to do with sucking dicks, just because it sounds close to dick?
>>
>>56062713
Yes, he did. His point is that the word "piracy" makes your brain connect the act of sharing with your friends with stealing from someone else. Basic NLP, that's why such words should be avoided.

Another one brainwashing word is "Intellectual Property". Read about it here: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html
>>
>>56062690

Hey, I installed pulseaudio-alsa too because I was getting no sound on YouTube. Now my volume icon in the tray moves up and down, but doesn't affect the volume, because I assume it's alsa's tray icon. I have to open pavucontrol everytime I want to change the volume. I installed pasystray from the AUR but there's nothing in dmenu or my usr/bin that starts it. What do?
>>
>>56053873
I use trisquel on my librebooted x200. It works great. On my desktop I use arch, because I play some games naively and I have a GPU passthrough. It was easy to set up in arch because of the newer packages and kernel.

Trisquel 8 should be coming soon.
>>
>>56062948
>librebooted
Can you point me to a good guide?
>>
File: 20160704_175036-1.jpg (3MB, 2306x2168px) Image search: [Google]
20160704_175036-1.jpg
3MB, 2306x2168px
>>56062986
Here is the guide I used:
https://github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/X200-X201-Hardware-Flashing-with-Raspeberry-Pi
>>
>>56063017
Thanks!
>>
What $200 or less laptop is compatible with Linux? I've researched the Asus E200HA and Lenovo 100s. I'm looking to run a lightweight distribution with stability. (Basically a flavour of Ubuntu). Anyways, does anyone know of a laptop that doesn't have driver problems? The E200HA and 100s seem to both have problems.
>>
>>56062946

Is your default volume tray applet volumeicon?

Make sure it says card=default in the config, and then restart your system. It should detect your default sound driver
>>
>>56063046
I guess when you search the web for %model %linuxproblem, you will find for all models problems with GNU/Linux. Also not your buy advice thread.
>>
File: 20160704_175737-1.jpg (3MB, 2236x2236px) Image search: [Google]
20160704_175737-1.jpg
3MB, 2236x2236px
>>56063030
Happy Hacking!
>>
>>56063046
>>>/g/tpg
>>
>>56063017
> dust

Triggered.
>>
so im using rofi and i bound

>rofi -show run

to a button and it works fine, but i'd like it to exit rofi if i click the button while rofi is already open (similar to how spotlight search works on osx)

is there a way to accomplish this or nah?
>>
How2cure my kernel-related autism?

It takes hours to compile but I can't help but sit on my computer waiting for it to finish.

I haven't eaten all day.
>>
File: fglt.png (38KB, 665x277px) Image search: [Google]
fglt.png
38KB, 665x277px
>>56063450
Sorry for being too late
>>
>>56063476
...I'm currently on Debian and considering trying Gentoo... Maybe I shouldn't...
>>
>>56056760
>>56062102
got me lots lots of keks, nothing to be sorry about.
>>
>>56063476
I literally went through that progression of events when I was 17.

My brother had to sit my ass down and intervene.
>>
>>56063476
It has been 6 months now and I've considered the last stage many times. Sid still doesn't have 4.7 and I want to test a RX470 to see how it fares on Dolphin and the such.
>>
is there a straightforward way to diagnose wifi issues in arch?

im using apricity and every minute or so my wifi will drop and then immediately reconnect
>>
>>56064339

Apricity isn't Arch. It's another shitty, niche distribution which defeats 50% of ARch's purpose.

Troubleshooting WLAN issues isn't distribution specific.
>>
>>56064626
>Apricity isn't Arch.
That's unfortunate. What distinguishes it so much from Arch that you wouldn't troubleshoot it in the same way?

Is it similar to Antergos as >>56053842 says?
>>
Does Xfce4 have mpris support like Cinnamon does?
>>
This is just a silly scripting style question but in a recursive function would you use

my_function(){
do_whatever
if [ $whatever == whatever ]
then
my_function $whatever
fi
}

or
my_function(){
do_whatever
if [ $whatever == whatever ]
then
$FUNCNAME $whatever
fi
}

Just wondering because I'd imagine more proper programming languages would have some kind of construct to refer to the function itself too.
>>
>>56064626
autism
>>56065041
dumb tripfag go away
>>
i'm trying to run a python script on startup on ubuntu. i added the command "python myscript.py" to startup applications (gnome-session-properties) but the problem is that it runs without an actual terminal window, it just runs in the background. so when it hangs i have little way of knowing. then i terminate it by finding its id with ps -ef and the kill command.

is there a way to either edit the command to include a visible terminal on startup or any way to bring a background script to a terminal?
>>
>>56065194
I'd use the first method. Makes things more clear. Btw, if you use single [, use single = also.
>>
>>56065234
Most terminals have execute flag, check the manpage of your terminal. On URxvt: urxvt -e myscript

Protip: Use pkill myprogram instead of searching ids like sherlock holmes. :^)
>>
>>56065300
ye i use ps -ef | grep myscript.py though pkill seems better, thanks.

anyway, i use the default terminal that comes with ubuntu. gnome-terminal i think.

gnome-terminal -e python myscript.py would probably work. thanks again.
>>
any /fit/ related software on linux?
>>
>>56065208
>dumb tripfag go away

What's a tripfag? Plus, how does that answer my question?
>>
>>56057726
Not sure if that's your problem, but i had to set the windows part of the hard disk in fdisk when I dual booted. Before that the system recognized them though, they just weren't mounted.
>>
what's the source of that meme about people saying "linux can't X" in order to get actual help on old distro forums?
>>
I tried Linux Mint as a trial run to see if I liked it and didn't really get into it.

What should I try next? I am a beginner to Linux and don't really know what I'm doing, by the way, so no crazy advanced shit.

How's Debian? Or Fedora?
Mostly I would like a good DE for convenience and cozy
>>
where do i learn basic bash scripts in the next 2 hours i have an exam on monday
>>
>>56065630
>source
lmgtfy.com
>>
>>56065713
There's still sunday left?
>>
>>56065723
What do you think I've been doing for the past half hour?
>>
>>56065706
>I am a beginner to Linux and don't really know what I'm doing
Then stay on Linux Mint.
>>
>>56065723
you don't even know what he's talking about
>>
>>56065727
well yeah. but why would i spend sunday, the day of Christ and church, studying?
>>
>>56065742
That's a fate worse than death. Please stop trying to help people.
>>
>>56065736
Oh. Sorry, it's just that people sometimes never search google first.

>>56065755
>you don't even know what he's talking about

Reverse Psychology
>>
>>56065762
because you have an exam on monday
>>
>>56065780
>Reverse Psychology
No, it's an actual meme, specific to linux distro forums.

The most recent version of it is "debian forum trick", invented by someone on /a/ to get people to stop arguing with trolls.

I had the original source at some point, which isn't in reference to the debian forum, but I can't remember what it is. The only key phrase is "linux can't ____", and it's about people that are so frustrated about people telling them to RTFM and ググる that they start trolling in order to bait people into correcting them instead.
>>
>>56065742
>>56065780

dumb tripfag cancer, fuck off to reddit finally
>>
>>56065821
Sounds like it could actually work
>>
>>56065781
HMNMMMMM GO TO CHURCH AND HEAVEN?
OR GO T:O SCHOOL AND HELL

WHAT A BIG DECISION
>>
>>56065821
>bait people into correcting them instead.

Okay, how is that not a form of reverse psychology?

It's not some original concept, I used to do that sometimes as a kid to get help with really homework :^)

>>56065839
>tripfag

So, you're referring to my tripcode, a feature built into 4chan?

You're angry that I'm using a feature as the developers intended?
>>
>>56065878
It does and people use it. I just can't remember what made it a meme. I thought it was a webcomic, but I can't find an xkcd that covered this.
>>
>>56065881
Jesus never entered a church. Think about that for a while.
>>
>>56065905
>Okay, how is that not a form of reverse psychology?
>It's not some original concept, I used to do that sometimes as a kid to get help with really homework :^)
This isn't general psychology. This is a very specific meme. Reverse psychology is the fact that people are tempted to directly violate orders. Manipulating people in general isn't reverse psychology. This isn't reverse psychology, this is just a specific example of manipulative behavior.
>>
Can someone help me with setting up /etc/hosts file? I'm trying to use it to block or redirect sites, but when I try to setup 127.0.0.1 for google.com, nothing happens. I have a default hosts file right now.
>>
What's the fastest distro?
>>
>>56065989
Define fastest
>>
ive gotten no response on the arch forums, so ill ask here too:

my brightness controls (fn+home and fn+end) as well as the sleep button (fn+f4) have stopped working correctly on my t420 with arch and openbox.
the brightness can still go up and down, but the lowest settings just turn off the backlight completely instead of getting dimmer. i can still bring it back up from there though
the sleep button does nothing.
i have no idea what i've done to cause this, as they were all working fine one day and not the next.
acpi_listen sees all of the keys just fine.
if i log in as root (who has nothing installed) they all work perfectly, i suspect because of thinkpad-acpi included in the kernel.
i tried adding
acpi_osi="!Windows 2012"
as well as
acpi_backlight=vendor
acpi_backlight=none
and
acpi_osi=Linux
to my boot parameters, but none of them fixed it.
xbacklight gives an error of "No outputs have backlight property," and im not entirely sure how i would fix that.

raising and lowering the brightness does not change /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness, which seems to be locked at 5 (although, again, if i'm logged in as root this does work correctly). it does change /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness, but not in the correct increments. it skips from 443 down to zero.

any help would be appreciated
>>
>>56065742
I don't want to though.

I looked into Ubuntu but don't really like whatever DE it is that comes with it
>>
>>56065983
Did you restart your network?
>>
>>56066009
Post your list of installed foreign packages
>>
>>56066110
Just looked up Ubuntu MATE and it looks nice.

Anyone got any thoughts on it?
>>
How similar are Fedora and Red Hat?
There's a software I would like to install, but they don't support Fedora; they do support Red Hat, though.
Would that work?
>>
>>56065706
kde neon, it just werks like ubuntu but also has the most up to date version of all the kde and qt software
>>
>>56066131
http://pastebin.com/V2FR334W
>>
>>56066173
It'll probably work. Emphasis on "probably." RHEL is more or less the "stable" version of Fedora, so I imagine the primary difference is that it has older packages.

What is the software, if you can say?
>>
>>56066234
Those are all packages, I'm only interested in packages that don't come from the official repositories (e.g. AUR)
>>
>>56066110
>don't really like whatever DE it is that comes with

So, try Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Elementary OS (if you're a hipster)
>>
>>56066248
http://pastebin.com/h8xGRuMM is what
yaourt -Qe
says, which is normally what i use for packages not in the official repository
>>
>>56066288
Use -Qm
>>
Would Debian or Linux Mint offer better support and packages for my T420 Thinkpad? I use it as my main PC for general usage, nothing special.

Currently on Linux Mint 18, considering switching to Debian. Should I or not, I keep hearing Mint sucks but not really seeing why. Can someone explain why Mint sucks, without going into memes and unfounded/unsourced bullshit?
>>
>>56066323
local/lemonbar-xft-git 254.a43b801-1
local/libchardet 1.0.4-1
local/sutils-git 35-1
local/thinkfan 0.9.3-1
local/xbindkeys_config-gtk2 0.1.3-3
local/xtitle-git 25-1
>>
Decided I'm going to get Ubuntu MATE to try it out and see how I like it. Literally anything but Windows 10

My question is, which is the best version of a distro to get? 16.04 is a LTS, should I get that one? Is there a reason not to get the latest official release of something?
>>
>>56066377
Update thinkfan and reboot, if that doesn't change anything then there's probably a bug in the latest version of some power control component
>>
>>56054140
What's wrong with Mint? Using it at the moment.
>>
>>56066402
Good for you, hope you did your homework.
>>
>>56066471
Not him, but when I tried it everything was fucking tiny, despite my computer being set to the right resolution. And it was just slow, everything felt laggy to me
>>
Is it true? https://m.reddit.com/r/StallmanWasRight
>>
>>56066522
Yes.
And Apple and Windows fag will die defending it
>>
>>56066505
Stop running GUIs in virtual machines
>>
Hey guys, good evenning.

Do someone of you code on his linux OS? I would like to start messing around with Pythin but I'm not very sure of what steps I have to take in order to do (for example) a Hello World.
>>
>>56066563
It wasn't a virtual machine. I ran it from a live USB, but it wasn't actually installed

Does that really make it slow and small?
>>
>>56066522
You have to go back.
>>
>>56066563
Unless you're running Xen or KVM+Qemu with an assigned GPU.
>>
Gnome 3 or MATE? I can't decide
>>
>>56066604
>a Hello World.
>in Python

Just print it
>>
>>56066413
it is fixed!! thank you
out of curiosity, do you have any ideas what could have caused the problem? i've changed /etc/thinkfan.conf according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420#Fans but i doubt that had anything to do with it..
>>
>>56066674
I'm really liking MATE and probably going to install it later today and be done with Windows forever. Just not sure what Ubuntu edition to get
>>
>>56066117
I did that earlier and nothing happened. I'll past my current hosts file along with what I tried to do to show you. What I tried to do will start with *

#
# hosts This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
# mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem. It is mostly
# used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
# On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
# "named" name server. Just add the names, addresses
# and any aliases to this file...
#
# By the way, Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email protected]> says that 127.0.0.1
# should NEVER be named with the name of the machine. It causes problems
# for some (stupid) programs, irc and reputedly talk. :^)
#

# For loopbacking.
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 slackware.example.org slackware
*127.0.0.1 google.com
# End of hosts.

Btw, I didn't put the :^) in there, it was there when I found it.
>>
>>56066676
Yeah, I mean, I know it won't be so hard. I'm more worried about environment or what I need beside a terminal. Sorry if I say something stupid.
>>
>>56066618
>ran it from a live USB,
That's why it was slow
>small
Maybe cause you didn't install proper drivers.
>>
>>56066703
No idea. I just do this when I have problems with arch. I update everything that's from the official repo, then if it's not fixed, I check what I installed from AUR that's related, and update that too. Linux programs can get highly coupled, and it causes obscure problems when they're versioned out of sync.
>>
>>56066723
Install Python. Which you probably won't even have to so since it might already be installed. Then you write the script with any stupid text editor.
>>
>>56066737
thank you !
>>
>>56066779
So, I just type "python" the same way I use "vi" and then I start making scripts? Is that easy? Because if it is that easy, I'm more retarded than I though. Not saying it in a dickhead way, thanks for the help.
>>
hey g i have question about creating webms with no sound streams.
I use ffmpeg
ffmpeg -i out.webm -c:v libvpx -an -b:v 1M -c:a libvorbis wtf.webm

Problem is, if i get webm with sound which size is 3mb, and i convert it to remove sounds, i get no sound webm whose size is 4mb.
What is wrong with my ffmpeg command?
>>
>>56067075
find ./ -regex '.*mp4\|.*mkv\|.*avi' -exec bash -c 'ffmpeg -i "$0" -preset medium -b:v 1000k -an -vcodec libvpx -cpu-used 5 -threads 8 -crf 28 -fs 2.9MB "${0%%.mp4}.webm"' {} \;
>>
>>56054108
I'm not a programmer and I use Linux
>>
gibe clever host/user name.
>>
>>56066717
... Probably Ubuntu MATE
>>
Hey, I have a question about getting font awesome icons to show up on my i3 bar, they don't... I've installed the font properly and added the font to my config files but when I use the cheat sheet to copy paste into vim I get a hash tag instead of the icon. I dunno what I'm doing wrong, it should work, adivce? I've been stuck for three days witht his shit.
>>
I'm eyeballin' my windows SSD real hard, and thinking about nuking it in favor of making it an ext4 drive for more space for using Arch.

Only game I care about is WoW. Have it running well enough now under wine. Don't use adobe stuff or office.

All I really need is an excuse. I don't mind going back to windows 7 if I have to, instead of the ten I've been dual booting. Are there any angles I'm not considering here? Problems I may not be anticipating, as a result of not having the easy fallback?
>>
>>56067373
try pastemode
>>
>>56067557
Nope, set paste doesn't work. But I dunno if there's another to key paste the text besides middlemouse, sift+ins, and p, ...
>>
>>56067075
>
-c:a libvorbis

del
>>
>>56066365
Without meme, the people in charge of mint are not the guys you can trust the most. They can't even handle a website properly..
And they have a problem with security in general
see http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
you should have more information here.

No one in this thread will recommend you to stay with mint.
>>
Is there a way to emulate the Windows window border snaping?
>>
>>56067075
ffmpeg -i withsound.webm -c copy -an -sn nosound.webm
>>
>>56067801
>sn
?
>>
>>56067762
>emulate
Check your WM settings. When all else fails, install compiz.
>>
New thread >>56067872
>>
>>56067846
disable subtitles
just in case, 4chan wont allow subtitles either, i don't believe
>>
>>56067882
thx
>>
>>56067865
I use fluxbox, i dont see any options for it.
Compiz always caused more issues then it was worth
>>
Can someone help me understand the usefulness of tiling window managers (i3 etc) that everyone on here seems to use?

I use a Windows 10 desktop for most things but have a laptop with Kubuntu at my workbench for microcontroller programming and to use for email/web/etc when not at home.

I'm using the default KWin window manager and really like it because of how much like windows it is.

It seems like a huge pain to have to configure a tile layout for each type of work I want to do when I can just resize windows to show me both code and a Serial Monitor for example.
>>
>>56067914
>usefulness
that's just a huge meme. you spend hours configuring and reading documentation, when you could have another wm that just werks
>>
>>56068282
>will never know the satisfaction of configuring their wm to their own needs
>will never know the smoothness of using i3
>>
>>56068584
>implying I dont configure my wm to my own needs
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.