[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sub par performances with GTX 1070

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: 08G-P4-6171-KR_XL_6[1].jpg (170KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
08G-P4-6171-KR_XL_6[1].jpg
170KB, 1200x1200px
I'm getting really bad performances on my GTX 1070. According to this : http://otakugame.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/08454592-photo-geforce-gtx-1070-battlefield-4.jpg I should be getting more than 150fps on average on BF4 in ultra @1080p, however I'm getting around 70-110. Also, Rust doesn't even reach 60fps on ultra, with drops into the 20fps. I saw people with the same rig as mine getting 70+fps on ultra. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled it but it doesn't change shit. Also, the card reached 77°c at full load (EVGA GTX 1070 SC), haven't seen any review of this card reaching this temperature.

I don't know what the fuck to do. My PC :

GTX 1070
i5-4690k
8gb Ram
SSD 850 evo
>>
Throttling? Temps? Case airflow and ventilation?

Running any intensive background tasks maybe?
>>
Check your CPU clock speeds. Maybe overclock it if not already. Make sure power saving is not set to power saver. Set it to balanced or performance. Run Afterburner and check GPU load. If it's spiking up and down it's most likely throttling for some reason. Use driver uninstaller to clean out the drivers and reinstall. Make sure nothing is hogging trhe CPU in the background.
>>
>>56045780
might be a hardware issue, who knows. post on nvidia support forums instead
>>
>>56045805
Definitely not throtlling. Temps were a bit hot imo but nothing too much. Airflow is fine in my case, CPU reaches 55c at full load. Also forgot to mention that for instance in games like SFV, Rocket League or DS3, with the Vsync on it runs fine at 60fps but then drops every like 10s or so to 59 or 58fps, which is very noticeable. And it's not the card being hot or throtlling, for instance it does this in DS3 and the card is 33% used at max settings.

>>56045850
CPU clock speeds are fine, runs at 3,9ghz at full load and the temps are fine too. How do I check the power saver thing? Don't even know if I have such a thing. Thing is, this is the 2nd GTX 1070 that does this to me. Previously I had a 1070 G1 from Gygabite and encountered the same issues. For reference, my build is not even 1 year old, I bought all the parts in December except for the GPU of course
>>
Download ProcessExplorer and monitor CPU, GPU, RAM and I/O usage while gaming
It will help you point out the bottleneck
>>
>>56045914
I definitely feel like there's no bottleneck, as I've said people with an exact same rig as mine are getting way better performances, I've checked it out.
>>
>>>/v/
>>
Contact EVGA, I'm sure this is nothing new to them.
>>
>>56045909

There are reports of shitty performance all over the web about the 10xx series.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/172/geforce-1000-series/

You should have bought an RX480.
>>
Get MSI Afterburner or similar and enable the overlay screen and monitor GPU usage.
Also runs GPU-Z on the sensor and monitor clock rates, perfcap reason and power comsuption.
>>
>>56045964
turd seller detected
>>
>>56045964
Well I made the very wise decision of buying from Amazon every time and I'm glad I did because I got a refund for both my 1070 rapidly. I'm currently wondering if I should buy a custom a RX 480, wait for the RX 490 or buy a GTX 1060.

>>56045967
I'm already using MSI Afterburner, I've checked the clicks and usage and everything is fine.
>>
>>56045989

I think the turd was already purchased. Sorry to hurt your feelings.
>>
>>56045991
Post charts idiot or get the fuck out, how do you expect people to troubleshoot an issue if youre not willing to provide information.
>>
>>56045991
>Well I made the very wise decision of buying from Amazon every time and I'm glad I did because I got a refund for both my 1070 rapidly.

Yeah they are pretty good. I am glad I waited tho anon, it seems this 10xx series is plagued with doubt. The DPC latency issues for one have prevented me from purchasing any nvidia stuff until the all clear. Got burned in the past, now usually give hardware 6 - 12 months break in before I buy.
>>
>>56046003
Honestly, the 480 is shit. If it was $200, it would be a good card, but for $240, it's a shit deal.
>>
>>56046070

>but for $240, it's a shit deal.

I wouldn't miss pocket-change when you avoid headaches that the OP is experiencing now. Each to their own I suppose.
>>
>>56045780

OP this board isn't meant for technical support you nigger. few hints

- what kind of PSU do you have and did you use the cables that were shipped with the card; did you connect them to the pcie slots on your psu

- did you activate pci 3.0 on all slots on your mobo uefi/bios

- what cable are you using to connect and what monitor

- try running a 3d mark benchmark

- you should just format everything and reinstall the drivers, check dxdiag

it's probably your pcie slot or cable if you didnt have problems like this before
>>
>>56046147
Not op but I recently installed a new psu and 1060. Is there anything special for that?
>>
>>56046147
PSU is EVGA Supernova G2 650w, not even 1 year old and perfectly fine. PCI slots are fine, using HDMI cable connected to the GPU of course. I'm contemplating doing a fresh install indeed
>>
>>56046204

no, it's just that some people use the pcie cables from the psu directly on the gpu and that causes issues

the cables in the box really need to be used, even connected to the psu pcie cables
>>
>>56046147
while you are at it make sure the gpu is properly sit into the gpu slot, I had a friend with a 970 that overtighted the screws that hold the GPU in place and it ripped off half of the GPU out the slot making poor contact.
>>
>>56046243
they absolutely don't need to be used at all.
>>
>>56046259

the variance between psu cable and gpu cable shows it's safer to connect gpu cables. I don't mean to get in any disagreement but might as well rule out power issues, I know I had gpus underpowered because of that.

>>56046241

yea just do a complete reinstall and get a new hdmi cable while you're at it, amazon basics. tru uninstalling using ddu, delete the whole game and reinstall everything before formatting your os. sometimes the game files and config stays and doesn't switch well when you move settings and config
>>
>>56046316

Or to save yourself all this trouble, put your 1070 into a friend's computer and see if the issues persist.

One of my buddies had a similar problem ages ago with an Nvidia card. Swapped the card into a totally different computer and the issue was still present. He sold the card and bought an ATI (not kidding) - no more problems.
>>
you can buy a new system minus the gpu and check
maybe the electric system in your house is shit, try moving out
if all else fails you can commit suicide and retry the life lottery if reincarnation is a thing
>>
get more ram
>>
>>56046372

the ATI shilling wasn't necessary. turns out if OP has an EVGA, they'll send him a replacement card in no time which is quite good imo. I had that even with thousand dollar cards and they send that stuff in no time like it's a hot cake. Turns out it was simply the cable and monitor, sent it it back.

Honestly most of the time its just the whole config from psu, to software/OS then display, not really the card (unless theres some cooler or overheating issue).

If it's really the card, you should be seeing artifacts on evgas precision x oc tester app
>>
>>56046438
>>56046241

yea and this get more ram OP, you need 16 minimum and since you're on haswell

just buy kingston savage 2400mhz 32gb its like a two hundred bucks or a hundred for 16gb

don't mean to shill but ram matters much more. that model recommended 'cause it's newly made and other ram show errors on mem test hammer test (partly why ddr4 got implemented) /project zero from google if you wanna read about it, Exploiting the DRAM rowhammer bug to gain kernel privileges
>>
>>56046525
the difference between 1333mhz and 3000mhz ram isn't even 5% performance in games, this is bullshit
>>
you fell for benchmark meme
>>
>>56046438
>>56046525
op here, ram isn't an issue. I tried with 12gb and it's the samle
>>
>>56046453

Not shilling at all. I explained an event that happened similar to OPs. My friend and I actually did "troubleshooting", including the some of the steps you outlined, and concluded the nvidia card (or its drivers) were to blame - nothing else. Funnily enough, we had put an ATI card from the other test computer into his machine, and there also wasn't any probs. This is what lead him to just be done with it and buy an ATI card at the time. I have no allegiance to either manufacturer.

Plus, OP mentions this is his second 1070 and by a different manufacturer. Why would he want to waste time swapping the card to have the same issue again?

OP - swap cards if you can - either try another nvidia card in your machine and test, or try an amd card and test. Alternatively, try your card in a friend's computer.
>>
>>56045780
This shit even happen in my country forum, seem common as fuck
>>
>>56046563

for higher end graphics or processing, 12GB vram requires 16GB minimum, not about speed (which does matter)

>>56046670

ATI drivers are straight-forward and have a no nonsense approach, I know 'cause I also used ATIs

>>56046636

this is totally becoming a tech support thread, look assuming you did a fresh install of everything, in nvidia control panel, 3d settings, single display and max performance, download precision x oc, kboost and check results
>>
>>56046770
>ATI drivers are straight-forward and have a no nonsense approach, I know 'cause I also used ATIs

This is relevant to solving the issue why?
>>
>>56046737

yeah well it's expected since it's first gen and alot of binning is going on. I'm assuming nvidia took the profitable route since they spent "billions of dollars" and the real deal is next season

even if the titan x oc is sexy asf - it's not the original 3840 cores or hbm which shows the binning favours the AI systems
>>
>>56046807

op already has a 1070 and you're asking him to buy ati.. there's a higher chance the root cause isn't the card esp. if it's the second one
>>
>>56046868
>op already has a 1070 and you're asking him to buy ati

I never said such a thing. Can you point to where I said "buy an ATI"? Or is reading comprehension not your strong point? I simply mentioned an event in the past and the outcome. I gave no recommendation to purchase anything.

>there's a higher chance the root cause isn't the card esp. if it's the second one

If there's a hardware or software issue related to the 10xx series (which according to people on Nvidia's own forums seem to be suggesting) it very well might be. You aren't the arbiter of what is the root cause, hence why OP needs to rule out various factors (i.e. troubleshoot). I can now see why you take a sledgehammer approach.
>>
>>56046953

it's ok chill. there's a dpc latency issue which is sometimes fixed or not... whatever man
>>
>>56046989

I'm chill. I understand your points. No disrepect.

Peace.
>>
>>56046243
>no, it's just that some people use the pcie cables from the psu directly on the gpu and that causes issues

This sounds unlikely.

The cables that come with the video card are more of a last resort kind of thing in case your PSU lacks it, but the PSU cables are the safest and most secure way to get the PSU rails to power up the video card.
>>
File: dx12timespy.png (49KB, 682x833px) Image search: [Google]
dx12timespy.png
49KB, 682x833px
>>56047008
>>56046636

np. OP btw are you eligible for the step up program from EVGA

" latest parts that come out within the first 90 days from your purchase, you can upgrade your product by paying the difference between what you paid and the price on EVGA's website"

if you get a titan x? ask them while you're at it, no harm (then resell it for the lulz)
>>
>>56046770
>ATI drivers are straight-forward and have a no nonsense approach

I'm a longtime ATI user, and this is bullshit...
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.