[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Machine Learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: machine_learning-1024x724.jpg (83KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
machine_learning-1024x724.jpg
83KB, 1024x724px
Thoughts on current state of machine learning/AI?
Is it just a meme or can it actually do some good?
>>
not a meme but super autismo genetically engineered whipped-by-parents pajeet mode
>>
>>56043201
what?
>>
>>56043170
It's good for CS majors who need a new field to rot in
>>
If you're reading about it on sites like Hacker Jews and other popsci outlets, it's already a meme at that point.
>>
File: 1466424122185.jpg (59KB, 414x479px) Image search: [Google]
1466424122185.jpg
59KB, 414x479px
>>56043292
Just a female assblasted cuz their place in society is getting replaced by a fucking machine
>>
it's a weird meme in the sense that since it's math heavy so normie reddit shit can't get easily into it like they can with webdev
>>
>>56043170

google "cm1k congnistix"
>>
It's a meme in the sense that's it has gained mainstream support and even normalfags are interested in it. But it's actual computer science so no faggot web devs that "self-taught," themselves JavaScript are allowed.
>>
>>56043170
Here's how machine learning works:

there are maybe 10 people with PhDs in the WORLD who really understand this shit and implement new algorithms

these people work for huge companies like google, and do research for top universities

each advancement in AI is a slight improvement in performance over the previous iteration

the smart people create frameworks which simplify their extensive research, so anyone can sort of use it but not as well as they could

once processors are fast enough computers will take over, but in the mean time machine learning is very fucking useful for many different things. i'm not going to go in depth here, figure it out for yourself.
>>
>>56043570
Do you honestly believe that AI and ML have no practical applications?
>>
File: owl.jpg (14KB, 179x214px)
owl.jpg
14KB, 179x214px
>>56043690
>>
>>56043602
What's a good source if not hacker Jews.
>>
>>56047357
>there are maybe 10 people with PhDs in the WORLD who really understand this shit and implement new algorithms

It's just applied discreet maths
>>
>>56048577
Convex optimization is not really discrete and many learning problems can be formulated as such.
>>
>>56047357
You have no idea what you are talking about.

>>56043170
It's pretty fun, probably a field I want to stay in.
>>
>>56046901
looks pretty cool. Is it a much-used thing?
>>
>>56048634
I'm going to be a CS freshman this year thinking of getting into it. Seems like a good career option plus it does sound fun.
>>
>>56043170
probably better than front end web development
>>
current methods are good, but there is room for improvement.

>Is it just a meme?
It is a branch of mathematics, so if you believe math is all just dank memes, nothing is of value and you might as well kill yourself right now.

>Can it do some good?
Google seems to make a lot of money.
But you can use it for a lot of things (decision making, classification, control, etc)
>>
I feel like they're deliberately making it inaccessible to most people.
>>
>>56049664
dumb nigger
>>
>>56049635
>>56047357
>>56048600
what kind of math do i need to know to get into it?
>>
>>56049732
Look at how fractured the frameworks are.

Also, books do really shit job of explaining which model to use to apply for which types of ML problems.
>>
>>56049635
>It is a branch of mathematics
Then you can consider computer science a branch of mathematics. It sure doesn't feel a whole lot like a branch of mathematics. Most of the time it's just a sophisticated form of intuition, trial and error.

>>56049664
Look at stuff like scikit-learn or tensorflow or tori. It literally couldn't be made more idiot proof. If you have some data ready it takes maybe half an hour to get your first program running. The details are often cumbersome to research as there are hundreds of different algorithms (that by themselves are for the most part actually pretty simple to understand) in use that can also be combined in smart ways etc, but getting into it is simple, fun and kind of rewarding.
>>
>>56049119

Not really

Watch their demos. They have one where it shows how fisherman use one to identify species of fish.

Also, one feature built into it is the ability to run as many in parallel as you want. They sell a board that will mate with itself so you can stack them. They have a "daisy chain" pin for this purpose IIRC
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.