[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UEFI: Microsoft leaks backdoor key, firmware flung wide open

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: spidermon.jpg (56KB, 469x359px) Image search: [Google]
spidermon.jpg
56KB, 469x359px
What now, winfags?

http://arstechnica.co.uk/security/2016/08/microsoft-secure-boot-firmware-snafu-leaks-golden-key/

Microsoft has inadvertently demonstrated the intrinsic security problem of including a universal backdoor in its software after it accidentally leaked its so-called "golden key"—which allows users to unlock any device that's supposedly protected by Secure Boot, such as phones and tablets.

The key basically allows anyone to bypass the provisions Microsoft has put in place ostensibly to prevent malicious versions of Windows from being installed, on any device running Windows 8.1 and upwards with Secure Boot enabled.

And while this means that enterprising users will be able to install any operating system.

The golden keys were found by MY123 and Slipstream in March this year. They've just posted, on a rather funky website, a description both of Microsoft's security errors and of its seeming reluctance to patch the issue. The researchers note that this snafu is a real-world demonstration of the lack of wisdom in the FBI's recent demands for universal backdoors in Apple's devices. They wrote:

The researchers seem to have found the golden key—which isn't a PKI-type private key you would use to sign binaries, but rather a way to alter the tasks executed by UEFI at boot—bundled in dormant form on retail devices, left in as a debugging tool by accident. Now apparently available online, it should allow any user to turn off Secure Boot.

Secure Boot works at the firmware level, and is designed only to allow an operating system signed with a key certified by Microsoft to load. It can be disabled on many desktops, but on most other Windows devices, it's hard-coded in. The golden key policy seems to have been designed for internal debugging purposes, to allow OS signature checks to be disabled, apparently so programmers can test new builds. In practice, it could well open up Microsoft's tablets and phones to serious attacks.
>>
UEFI is shit. SHIT.
>>
File: 1468348524420.png (357KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
1468348524420.png
357KB, 601x601px
>>56039544
D E L E T
>>
>>56039544
BOTNET BTFO

B
I
O
S

M
A
S
T
E
R

R
A
C
E
>>
IT IS TIME FOR DRAGON DILDO OS TO TAKE OVER AND SHIT POST THE NWO OUTTA BUSINESS. FUCK YOU ALL & SUCK MY COCK.
>>
File: 1463238082529.jpg (84KB, 519x533px) Image search: [Google]
1463238082529.jpg
84KB, 519x533px
>>56039544
>mfw using Windows 8.1
>>
>>56039544
Joke is on Microsoft, I'm not using their botnet "SECURE BOOT" to begin with.
>>
>>56041681
>yfw windows 8.1 has UEFI support
>>
>>56039544
LOL'd so hard I broke a fucking rib!

MicroJew's latest theftware turns to pure obama in their hands...
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Advantages

""""""advantages"""""
4) Flexible pre-OS environment, including network capability

>network capability
>for something that just boots your computer
>>
>>56041793

... I think the big idea was that using it ensures all your base are belong to them!
>>
File: lain amused.png (542KB, 811x710px) Image search: [Google]
lain amused.png
542KB, 811x710px
>>56041811
>tfw using GNU/Linux
>>
>>56041811
>tfw using WindowsForWorkgroups
>>
>>56041811
no one cares poorfag. kys
>>
install gentoo
on your surface
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.