[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

distros to try?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

i borked my windows install on my laptop (which i don't use much) and i hear Linux is good and free, do you have any versions to recommend for general use?

im open to all suggestions besides arch and Gentoo, ive heard bad things about them
>>
>>56035828
Ever wanted to do magic with your operating system? Well, you can: with Source Mage
sourcemage.org/
>>
Try out q4os,its similar to windows xp,light on resources and is still supported
>>
>>56035828
Solus
>>
Xubuntu is my go-to suggestion for people coming from windows.
>>
>>56035828
debian.
>>
>>56036325
>>56036311
Isn't there a installer for just normal Linux? Or is that a thing? I saw pictures of a command line with a pic of a penguin made by numbers and letters
>>
>>56035828
Ubuntu is probably the way to go.
>>
>>56036362
Some distros come without a graphical interface. You would have to install one yourself later on.
>>
Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, openSUSE
>>
>>56035828
https://distrowatch.com/
I rec a ubuntu flavor like xubuntu or ubuntu mate

you can always change it later by reinstalling around your home folder
>>
>>56036106
What is the package selection like on Source Mage? I feel like, since it's relatively new, it won't have very many packages available.
>>
>>56036562
Is manjaro Linux good?
>>
File: 321.jpg (331KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
321.jpg
331KB, 1600x900px
>>56035828
Ubuntu Gnome 14.04
>>
>>56036621
here's a list of the packages they have
http://mirror.sobukus.de/files/sourcemage/codex/listing.html

There aren't that many packages (compared to arch or debian), but if you're an advanced user, you might like the package management system.
It's rather simple to create your own packages (if you know what you're doing), because it's based on simple bash scripts.
You basically just write your own bash scripts that can download and install the software with all dependencies.
You're kind of expected to do stuff like that on your own when you choose Source Mage. The distro is intended for more advanced users who know exactly what they want and don't want the distribution making choices for them.
>>
>>56036735
It's an offshoot of Arch so no
>>
>>56035828
Arch is okay but you can start with ubuntu MATE
>>
>God tier
CentOS, RHEL, any Server distro, CoreOS, Slackware

>Good tier
Debian, Ubuntu, elementaryOS, Fedora

>Meh tier
Mint, OpenSuse, Firefox OS

>Low tier
Chromium OS, Gentoo, Sabayon, Deepin

>Kys tier
Arch, Archbang, Manjaro
>>
>>56037524
Some hot opinions
>>
>>56036362
The closest you'll get to normal Linux is Slackware. This post is going to get memed all over in a few seconds I'm sure. Nobody who insults Slackware for having no software etc has ever used Slackware because it's not true.
>>
>>56036236
How is Solus? When I first tried installing it on my new computer, it would never successfully boot, but I did even have trouble getting Ubuntu working (fucking MSI)
>>
>>56037524
>He ranks Mint, OpenSUSE, and CoreOS above Gentoo
>He ranks Gentoo below anything
>He ranks Mint, OpenSUSE, and CoreOS above anything
Neat. Nice with Slack though.
>>
>>56037524
>>56037524
>>God tier
>distros that I dream to learn and use some day cause someone told me are the best
>>Good tier
>distros I manage to install once
>>Meh tier
>distros that I actually use
>>Low tier
>distros
>>Kys tier
> distros that are imposible to install in the couple of tries I've did
>>
>>56037619
It runs pretty smoothly on my old d2500 pc.

Midori doesn't crash at all on it, I love budgie DE.

Software selection isn't big, but everything you'll need for standard desktop use is there. Even has emulators and shit. Includes VLC.

400MB ram on boot, but still somehow uses less cpu than Ubuntu mate.

Honestly, I like it. I like what they're doing, and I hope it takes off.
>>
>>56037681
>Manjaro
>hard to install
>Arch
>hard to """install"""
>implying I didn't roll my own Slack box
>>
linux mint
although ubuntu is good, it lost my trust with the spyware.
>>
>>56037681
>>56037717
forgot
>implying I don't have a RaspPi running CoreOS as a toy server
>>
>>56037717
>can't even arrow memes
>>
File: SMGL_not_dead.png (777KB, 994x800px) Image search: [Google]
SMGL_not_dead.png
777KB, 994x800px
>>56036106
>>56036621
>>56036925
go team smeagol
>>
Manheim/PCLinuxOS are about the easiest ones that I've seen. Lots of auto config tools to ease the transition. Both dependents of the now dead Mandriva
>>
>>56035828
They're pretty much the same with different configurations for the same software from same projects. You may want to do a user friendly distribution (One with a graphical installer) and if you end up liking it, you can move on to a distro that you can optimize better.

If you want to do my dirty work try GoboLinux and report how it is.
>>
>>56037700
Cool, yeah, I definitely want to give it another shot. It looks solid
>>
File: Stewie_vomit_zpsdqjoypiw.gif (181KB, 200x100px) Image search: [Google]
Stewie_vomit_zpsdqjoypiw.gif
181KB, 200x100px
>>56037719
>mint
>>
>>56035828
> ive heard bad things about them
Gentoo is most definitely not bad, though it might not be something for you.

If you want the "easy" derivative of it, try Sabayon.
>>
>>56035828
Linuxlite
LXLE
Mint
Pinguy
Manjaro
Fedora
CentOS
Lubuntu
Xubuntu
Simplicity
Peppermint
SparkyLinux
WattOS
>>
>>56035828
google and youtube are so much better for answering these fypes of questions.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.