[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you feel it too? The slow, creeping death of the web, I mean.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: serial-experiments-lain-359.jpg (43KB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
serial-experiments-lain-359.jpg
43KB, 640x464px
Do you feel it too? The slow, creeping death of the web, I mean.

Let me explain. Things weren't always like this. The web was once used as a means of sharing information, but free from traditional barriers to entry. Anybody could create their own site, and have absolute freedom. The only cost was hosting. Some hosts were even free. You could find pretty much anything you wanted.

That began to change though, around 10 years ago, with the arrival of the big social networks. They made it even easier for people to make their own little corner on the web. They'd even provide a tidy design. It came at a cost, though. Once people joined these networks... they seldom strayed beyond them. A carefully filtered subset of the outside was shown to them, and they were threatened with viruses and identity theft if they left the site.

Fast forward, and now the consolidation of the web has progressed far. There's just a few big sites left now, and hardly anybody ever makes their own, most don't even know that you can. The big sites practically control everything, and they don't like anything that conflicts with their business interests. Even email is mostly unknown these days - most people simply use their favorite site's messenger functionality.

Can we ever turn back the clock, and fix the web?
>>
>>56034080
>no normies on the web outside of the containment zone
I fail to see the problem.
>>
>can the internet go back to being a wild west again

nope
sorry

those days are over.
too many normies got on the ship, which means more complaints, which means more regulation and restrictions.

it's only going to get much, much worse from here on out.
>>
>>>/a/
>>
>The web was once used as a means of sharing information, but free from traditional barriers to entry. Anybody could create their own site, and have absolute freedom. The only cost was hosting. Some hosts were even free. You could find pretty much anything you wanted.
Yeah, too bad that you can't do this any--OH WAIT YOU CAN.

Jesus fuck, children. Just because social media is the "hot thing" doesn't mean the old ways have disappeared. Learn to use the internet in ways other than "lol i get all my internets from 4chawn and facepalmbook"
>>
File: 1446403933811.png (462KB, 1820x772px) Image search: [Google]
1446403933811.png
462KB, 1820x772px
>>56034080
>>
>>56034151
Where do we escape to then?
>>
This is an entirely moot argument.

"Normies" weren't using the internet to seek truth then and they aren't using the internet to seek truth now. The reality is most people do not want to be activist. They aren't politically driven either. They just want to live comfortably with their friends and families. They'll work if it's necessary, but they don't care about grandiose ideas about what's wrong with society and how to improve it. This has nothing to do with the state of the internet.
>>
>>56034230
>Yeah, too bad that you can't do this any--OH WAIT YOU CAN.
This. It's ridiculous to cry that the internet is dying when you've not actually lost anything you could do before. The reason that social media is so popular is because it provides a service that people want with very low barriers to entry. If FB disappeared tomorrow we wouldn't see a billion new self-hosted blogs.

If you want to live in the wild-west of the internet it's still there - It's just that people seem to like being nostalgic about it more then they actually like using it.
>>
>>56034080
INTERNET
WOW WHAT HAPPENED

INTERNET THEN:
good
free
create
so smart

INTERNET NOW:
bad
normies
corporation??
no emails

INTERNET WHAT HAPPENED
>>
>>56034080
One of the distributed web protocols will save us.
>>
>>56034126
Wow, this made me realize, the percentages are a lot smaller, but for the better part there are just as many non-normies as there ever have been.
We haven't lost any to the big sites, just the ones that came might not have gotten out of the normie zones.
There should be more than enough of a community for the web to do everything it ever did before.
>>
>>56034255
>>56034080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4MYQ3lbtTg

ironically it's on youtube
>>
>>56034080
We need to go back to bbs. Dump html and use text interface.
>>
File: the_prophet.jpg (545KB, 1080x1200px) Image search: [Google]
the_prophet.jpg
545KB, 1080x1200px
A video game told you 15 years ago. Those faggots on /g/ that hates vidya, tell me, what where you doing 15 years ago when the current state of the current years was being explained to you?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.